Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #41
rbev2308

I am one thankful for this forum and the ones who provide solid advice and feedback (John/Brent/Javi,etc). I think all of this social media has the good and the bad. I also believe that 9 out of 10 people who have a bad experience, want to vent and tell the world while the 1 of 100 take the time to say that something was awesome. All the times I have rented stuff from military MWR, I just drug the thing around and never worried about any of it because it was not mine..I did take care of everything I rented. Now that I own one, the sweat pumps are running high cause you think everything should work perfectly all the time. Heck my 2014 F-350 DRW has already been in twice..stuff happens. I still remember one salesman telling me these are 14,000 lb bricks being drug down the road with well, climb under and tell me what you see for a suspension? Now factor in all these parts involved and you decide not to use it but 5-10 days per year. Heck I got laughed at checking torque on my lug nuts as I watched someone I know drag his grossly overweight toy hauler out and was proud that they had not been checked in 4 years and the tires still got tread even though they had towed it camping 25 times in 3 plus years including Canada to Florida then I seen the facebook picture of the $5K worth of damage he had cause the tire blew out in PA..wonder why....I am no expert in any of this but I am one not afraid to ask. In all honesty, had not had to ask to many things because doing the search on here you can get most the answers if you spend some time...but it is true, the one person who has a bad experience can ruin it for others to follow all because of something of their own doing.. Now that my break is over, back to my camper as I figure out exactly how I want to wire my BC-20 camera..leaning towards a splice into the reverse wire in my 7-way plug near my battery...still perplexed why the wire is even there since there are no reverse lights on the camper..guess it came with the plug...now I am curious to trace it just to see!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #42
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbev2308 View Post
..leaning towards a splice into the reverse wire in my 7-way plug near my battery...still perplexed why the wire is even there since there are no reverse lights on the camper..guess it came with the plug...now I am curious to trace it just to see!!!
Off topic but here's what I think. Some manufacturers do build trailers with backup lights. Easier to keep the wire and not use it, rather than cause confusion with a 6 wire round plug.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1228 View Post
And all of this is why I am here. I hope to offer a point of view that is not from manufacturing and not as a consumer in the hopes that maybe someone somewhere won't believe everything they hear on the internet.

Some consumers today feel empowered by their ability to go online and tell half truths or all out lies about their experience or RV.

Here is a real world case I ran into yesterday. A customer that purchased a different brand(not Keystone) from our store 1 1/2 months ago called yesterday and demanded one of my technicians come to their location because their water pump won't shut off and the trailer is flooding. If I didn't send someone out NOW, they would let everyone on the internet know how bad our service is and that this RV was junk. I send a guy out and you know what he finds? This unit has an outside kitchen. The faucet in the outside kitchen is on, filled the grey tank and the sink was overflowing. Not a manufacturer issue or a dealer issue yet somehow this customer could have driven off several customers with their "complaint" all over the internet about this unit flooding and our poor service.

Mark, I appreciate your insight and input from a dealer perspective. My first few RVs things either didn't happen or they were minor and were taken care of right away. I didn't have expensive trailers. Now, with our new one, and it still isn't "expensive" by any standard (55k list), I found that I wanted my dealer to "step up" for all kinds of things. I didn't know the process, didn't know who had to do what to do anything. I just "pressed", which is my nature.

Now, after almost 16 months with this unit, and multiple, some major, failures, I've found, through injecting myself repeatedly into the process, that the dealer has many things that hamstring them. Through this process I have formed a great relationship with the service manager at my dealership, a working relationship with Keystone, and a WHOLE lot more understanding of the process. I don't want my unit to be problematic (which it has been) but I do appreciate the help from the dealer (and Keystone) to help me resolve the issues. Your comments help folks (I hope) to understand the dilemma we all face in this "dance".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #44
mazboy123

have a montana and i could tell you some terrible issues i've had with the 5th wheel BUT, montana resolved the problems.

i would not hesitate to buy another montana though their styling is not to my liking these days....but that is not a mechanical issues, just my personal likes.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #45
wesaysoracing

I have had 2 pilgrim TTs, one had no problems , the 2nd one had several issues that took almost a year to work out, I had a Montana 5ver that had a few minor problems ,and now I have a bullet that has had 2 screws come loose on the refrigerator trim, I had a new truck that I got to drive for 3 weeks in 3 months the rest of the time it was at the dealership being repaired, did I get on face book and bash them? no , I realize that everything has problems or will have problems,
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #46
sbaker

fuzion 342

I have had a fuzion 342 for 1.5 years....insignificant issues. This is my 3rd keystone camper. 1st was outback 27rs. No probs. 2nd was fuzion fz300. Once again, no problems. I personally attribute this to my dealer ( all 3 campers) and their PDI.
B and W Companion Manual Slider Hitch
sbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #47
McRod

Interesting thread, and good to see many folks understand how social media sites have turned into the electronic version of a complaint box, justified or not. The only difference is that the complaint is public rather than private, so of course, it has to be accompanied by more drama, or it's not worth complaining.

McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Now THAT'S a button I bet a lot of service depts. wish they had!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #49
Ken / Claudia

I like the points about some believe people are not truthful telling their stories. Welcome to my world. There must be a million reasons for people to lie when trying to relate to the facts. On the web I want to believe what people are saying and as others on here attempt to help them. But, many after a few answers I can read between the lines by what they are or are not saying and give up trying to help.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #50
bobbecky

I don't remember seeing this brought up in this thread, but a couple years ago we stayed in an RV park somewhere in Wyoming. I had done research prior to making reservations, and there were some very bad reviews, quite a few really, and a couple that were very flattering for the park. I decided, why not, we'll stay there, can't be that bad. Turned out to be very nice, though an older park, and had very nice managers and staff. After the first night, I went into the office and asked why there were so many bad reviews. The manager smiled, and then told me that they had to let a couple employees go the previous season, for serious reasons she would not say what, and the ex-employees were slamming them on every site they could post reviews on. So, another reason to not believe everything you read on the internet.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #51
Ken / Claudia

Bob, that comes under my millions of reasons why people lie. MOTIVE, I think that is a sub topic of the reasons but, likely #1 reason for not being honest. They have a motive or axe to grind.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #52
Pull Toy

MHO....

Observation #1

Facebook is an excuse to trash a... person / product/ movement / u name it... and remain pretty much anonymous, thus untouchable!

Observation #2

People either LUV or HATE a ... person / product/ movement / u name it... in order to qualify to post their rant / admiration. The "in-between-ers never have much to say!

Do your homework, and research before you drop the check, and form an informed opinion of your own... then buy!!!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #53
tgpilot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I don't remember seeing this brought up in this thread, but a couple years ago we stayed in an RV park somewhere in Wyoming. I had done research prior to making reservations, and there were some very bad reviews, quite a few really, and a couple that were very flattering for the park. I decided, why not, we'll stay there, can't be that bad. Turned out to be very nice, though an older park, and had very nice managers and staff. After the first night, I went into the office and asked why there were so many bad reviews. The manager smiled, and then told me that they had to let a couple employees go the previous season, for serious reasons she would not say what, and the ex-employees were slamming them on every site they could post reviews on. So, another reason to not believe everything you read on the internet.
I ran into this same kind of deal in Kalispell, MT with Rocky Mountain High RV park. Had read several bad reviews, thus, I was going to pass them by but didn't. Over the 4th we spent about a week with them and they even extended our stay as long as they had an opening. The owners and staff were great, the park was nice and quite and in a country setting just outside of town. I will be back. I can't say enough about how great they were and how we were treated. Tell Marcie the owner hi, her and her daughters and husband will treat you right.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #54
SteveC7010

Online campground and RV reviews are generally suspect unless the review appears in a trusted place like this forum and comes from a poster with some credibility. I love it when someone posts a thoroughly negative review and you look at their number of posts, and it's 1. Or it was written on the day they joined the forum. Or the post is a couple of years old, and the poster never came back to forum after they posted the review.

On the other hand, when someone who has been around the forum for a while and participates in discussions in reasonable and helpful manner writes up a negative review or opinion, it's usually worth considering.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #55
Mosnowman

I think everyone needs to be somewhat suspect when a trailer brand is trashed on that brand of trailer's message boards. Too easy for competitors to be posers...

With that said here is my experience with Keystone:

First Keystone was a Bullet Travel Trailer....loved the trailer and no problems what so ever, other than some lazy aesthetic issues. Inside electric outlets installed obviously crooked.

Second Keystone: Cougar 327RES Fifth Wheel: love the floor plan. Major problem: LED Touch Panel stopped working right after 1 year warranty expired. Luckily for the first time ever I had purchased Good Sam Warranty from Camping World. Instead of paying well over a thousand bucks to fix a known defect I saved a ton due to warranty. Keystone is well aware of the touch screen problem occurring frequently but does nothing about it. Shame on Keystone.

Brother in Law: purchased a Keystone Bullet. Stores inside a garage. We camp together on summer weekends. Never been exposed to water other than occassional rain during camping. Major Problem: Floor completely rotted out after a year and a half. Keystone admits fault and will gut the entire camper and replace floor provided my Brother in Law drives it to Norther Indiana to factory. I think Keystone should arrange delivery. Shame on Keystone

Moral of the Story: 3 new Keystones: major problems with 2 of the 3. My next purchase will be another brand. Good luck.

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #56
cw3jason

Good luck with the other brands, I have owned others, they are all the same parts assembled at different factories, with the same issues. My Keystone has issues. All I have been able to fix myself accept one and the dealership with Keystone are taking care of it. The key to happy trailer ownership is a good dealer. That goes for any brand you purchase.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #57
bsmith0404

I hadn't read much of the stuff in this thread since it started back in Jun. After ignoring it for quite some time, curiosity got the better of me and I just had to read through it to find what I was missing..........Now I just felt compelled to add another post to let everyone know that lately I have been watching the Sopranos since it is available with Xfinity on demand. So far I'm in the middle of season 2. I remember some of the episodes once I get into them, but it's been so many years that I can't remember or predict what is going to happen next. I think I'm going to see if I can find Band of Brothers next.

See, I know the real purpose of social media, tell a bunch of people I don't know, and who really don't care about what I do during my day, what I've been up to with my spare time. I did find it interesting to see that one of the members had been banned for life. I was actually disappointed since I always felt his posts were entertaining to read.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #58
Western Traveler

My comment appears to have been pulled down or I am looking in the wrong place but either way I want to be clear on this subject having received a PM relating to a comment I made on the board...
Here is the PM (with the senior members handle removed)

and my response..
You have clearly mistaken my comment on that thread. I am tired of all the negativity voiced in the thread. I made the comment to remove it from the home page leading topic.
Any forum a person visits will find people with complaints. Where else are they going to voice their opinions?
The fact remains that Keystone owns a lions share of RV brands and they hold their value quite well. With a nearly unregulated industry and a brand cranking out the number of units they do there are bound to be unhappy owners.
Even the Polar Plus bashing has not been my experience though I am not a full timer.
We have camped multiple nights in single digit F' weather and the only precaution was bringing in the fresh water hose at night with the furnace running way less than expected.
I, like so many other happy owners am busy enjoying the ownership of my TT. Over 6000 miles traveled through California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana and over 8 months of overnight uses in 21 months with the only problems being solved with a few screws I can't complain. Yes, I could have a catastrophic failure when I depart Sedona today but that has not been my experience thus far. We would buy another Keystone Cougar in a heart beat. We did A LOT of shopping before buying this unit. The closest we came to buying a different brand was a Lance and they haven't been in the TT business for many years (they are better known for the PU campers) and Arctic Fox and both of them were way more money for the same basic trailer, as the dealers were unwilling to come off their price. We payed over 1/3 less than list for a trailer that hadn't even been built yet, and thousands less than either of those two previously mentioned TT's.

Happy trails,
Western Traveler

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #59
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
My comment appears to have been pulled down or I am looking in the wrong place but either way I want to be clear on this subject having received a PM relating to a comment I made on the board...

Here is the PM (with the senior members handle removed)

and my response..

You have clearly mistaken my comment on that thread. I am tired of all the negativity voiced in the thread. I made the comment to remove it from the home page leading topic.

Any forum a person visits will find people with complaints. Where else are they going to voice their opinions?

The fact remains that Keystone owns a lions share of RV brands and they hold their value quite well. With a nearly unregulated industry and a brand cranking out the number of units they do there are bound to be unhappy owners.

Even the Polar Plus bashing has not been my experience though I am not a full timer.

We have camped multiple nights in single digit F' weather and the only precaution was bringing in the fresh water hose at night with the furnace running way less than expected.

I, like so many other happy owners am busy enjoying the ownership of my TT. Over 6000 miles traveled through California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana and over 8 months of overnight uses in 21 months with the only problems being solved with a few screws I can't complain. Yes, I could have a catastrophic failure when I depart Sedona today but that has not been my experience thus far. We would buy another Keystone Cougar in a heart beat. We did A LOT of shopping before buying this unit. The closest we came to buying a different brand was a Lance and they haven't been in the TT business for many years (they are better known for the PU campers) and Arctic Fox and both of them were way more money for the same basic trailer, as the dealers were unwilling to come off their price. We payed over 1/3 less than list for a trailer that hadn't even been built yet, and thousands less than either of those two previously mentioned TT's.

Happy trails,

Western Traveler

I have nothing to add but I believe that the comment that your referring to is in the "how much can my roof support" or ladder thread and was not removed.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #60
TandE

It's in this thread.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23648

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote