Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
frankenstang

cat scale confusion

My math is horrible. Went to the scale with the 2014 312BH. All of our stuff from the previous camper is loaded inside. Propane full, battery in tray on front of camper. Ready to go camping minus clothes and food. No water in tanks.

Went to the local scale. Keep in mind the stuff in my truck approximates the 3 of us and minimal gear inside. No stuff in bed of truck. 100 pound equalizer hitch 1200/12000 setup.

steer axle 3320 lbs

drive axle 3660 lbs

trailer axle 7620 lbs

gross weight 14600 lbs

I forgot to pull the W/D bars while on the scale. I'll remember next time

Re-weighed after dropping the camper...

Steer 3300

drive 2720

gross 6020

My 13yr old was NOT in the truck for the re-weigh. FORGOT to tell him to stay put. He's 150 at the moment

total truck should be 6170

Truck has a GVRW of 7000

Max towing 9500.

Can I calculate the tongue weight considering I forgot to re-weigh after pulling the bars with the trailer connected?

And for the actual trailer weight... is it just as simple as Gross combined minus the gross weight of the T/V? 14600 - 6170 = 8430

Camper max gross is 9000.

I am already considering a 3/4 ton truck. But this one is paid for and there is a TVS1900 Supercharger sitting in the garage ready for installation. And I have located a Sierra max H/D 9.5 inch 3.73 rear axle complete for $900.

With the blower making over 450 ft/lbs torque and over 400 hp and the 9.5 inch axle swap, the truck would be the same as the Max H/D rating of 10400 towing and 7600 GVRW. I've been doing a LOT of reading. I am kind used to getting good NON towing mileage and the 6.0 gasser 3/4 ton trucks get BAD around town mileage.
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Desert185

Well, I'm impressed with the blower and the axle swap. The rest, though, I'll just pop some popcorn and wait for the replies...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Hercules1978

More power doesn't make up for stronger frame, bigger brakes...
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
frankenstang

Unless someone can prove otherwise, there is no difference in the frame or front brakes on the max H/D 1500 trucks. 9.5 rear axle and 3.73 gears front and rear.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There's also no difference in the aluminum and magnesium used in a 747 and a Cessna 150, but that doesn't mean the frames are the same or the wing spars can carry equal weight. There are a number of people who have the misconception that changing out components makes the carrying capacity of a vehicle "somehow" equal to another vehicle. The bottom line remains the sticker on the door. That's the "limiting factor" unless you can find a way to upgrade the "legal limit". Unless that's done, the vehicle remains "as built by the factory" regardless of what "add ons" are installed. A modified vehicle may be "capable of" or "do more" but if anything should happen......... It's still limited to what the factory built, unless that is upgraded along with the mechanics that were installed.

Unfortunately, you can't dye a "mutt" reddish blonde and make it a golden retriever, nor can you add "power increases" and make a vehicle something it's not.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
frankenstang

Thanks to to towing police. How about any answers to my actual question? Can I calculate the tongue weight without the W/D bars being disconnected at the scales?

And is my actual trailer weight the total gross combined minus the weight of the T/V?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
mamawildbear

I'm pretty new to this as we never weighed out last camper but I've studied up. Yes total gross combined minutes tow vehicle is the weight of your loaded trailer.

No, I don't think you can calculate the tongue weight from what you have. However, I think the tongue weight with the bars on is the important value. I'd like the tongue weight without the bars for curiosity's sake but you tow with the bars on so that's the figure to look at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Javi

YES.... you can accurately calculate the effective tongue weight.

NO... You cannot accurately calculate the actual tongue weight.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstang View Post
Thanks to to towing police. How about any answers to my actual question? Can I calculate the tongue weight without the W/D bars being disconnected at the scales?

And is my actual trailer weight the total gross combined minus the weight of the T/V?
If your statement about the weight police was sincere, I'm sure they appreciate your comments. If, however, they were intended another way, I would call your attention to the forum rules which you can find located here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367

As for the ability to calculate your tongue weight given the information you've listed, no, that can't be done. You can make an 'educated guess' at what the tongue weight 'should be', but since there is no way of knowing what amount of the tongue weight was shifted back to the trailer axles, the actual tongue weight remains an estimate. You can do a 'best guess' but without removing the weight transfer bars, you can not determine how much weight was shifted nor where it was shifted, although you can determine more closely the weight shift to the truck axles because you have those weights. So, you still don't know the percentage of trailer weight that is loaded on the tongue. That weight "should be" between 10-15% of the total trailer weight.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Dave-Gray

Now that you have the weights, plug the numbers into this weight safety report for conventional towing.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote