Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
AussieCanadian

Fridge Model on 2015 Passport?

Hi all,

We have just traded our 2014 Hideout 24BH for a 2015 Passport 2400BHWE - same length, but double bunks and slideout - needed more space!

We have seen 2 2015 Passports 2400's (apparently the same model year) but they have different refrigerator units (1 had an "Attwood helium" and the other a "dometic"). We are wondering why Keystone would switch types of fridges mid model year? What are the differences in the fridges?

I understand the different brands (our previous Hideout had the Atwood Helium) however does anyone know why Keystone is switching back to the Dometic fridges instead of the Attwood Helium?

Thanks!

Brad
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
KanTC

Brad,

Both of our Keystone's had Dometic -so I don't have first-hand experience- but that brand has been discussed on the forum.

I typed Atwood Helium [in the search box] & found 16 posts. You might find more, when using different variations in a search.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sea...archid=2002053

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
AussieCanadian

Thanks Terri,

I read a few of those posts and sounds as though many Keystone owners have reported issues with the Attwood Helium that we had in our previous trailer.

I can only guess that the Keystone may have switched due to problems with the Helium units.

If anyone else has any insight I would appreciate it! The trailer we are receiving has the Dometic fridge and is (according to dealer) a newer build than the other (same model year) Passport 2400BH that we looked at.

Brad
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The change from Atwood to Dometic could be something as complex as persistent problems with reliability or warranty (which led to consumer complaints) or it could be some thing as simple as Dometic underbid Atwood on the latest contracts. I wouldn't put a lot of worry or second guessing into reasons why Keystone makes a change at midyear.

While we were at the factory last April there were Dometic and Coleman air conditioners mounted on the roofs of identical trailers parked in the "ready line" awaiting transportation to tow them to the dealerships. I thought it was "different" to see two distinct shapes on the roofs of identical trailers, the tour guide shrugged his shoulders and avoided answering the question. So, apparently Keystone doesn't think it unique to use more than one brand of appliance in similar models.

As a possibility, Cougar in 2015 started installing 8 cuft refrigerators in all their fifth wheels. I'd imagine that there was a stock of 6 cuft refrigerators left over from the previous run. It may have been 10 refrigerators or it may have been 100.... At any rate, Keystone wouldn't throw them away, so I'm sure they got shipped to another assembly line that could use them. If they were shipped to Passport and they had been installing Atwood refrigerators, and now had 100 Dometic units to use, I'm sure they just "plugged them into holes" as the trailers rolled down the assembly line. Once all the Dometics were used, who knows what brand would be delivered next? They may go back to the original specs or, if the Laredo assembly line had some Norcold units left over ????

It's really a corporate "orchestration" to use available resources to fill available requirements. That's part of why the bottom of every brochure says something like, "The manufacturer reserves the right to make mid year model changes without notice"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
AussieCanadian

Thanks John,

The thought of "corporate decision making" did run through my mind although I hope it's not a case of Dometic simply being the lowest cost provider. There are many factors though, as you rightly point out.

At the end of the day I guess both fridges have their pros and cons and our trailer is being bought brand new so will come with a full 1 year warranty so any issues with the Dometic would be fixed. We were just surprised to find the differences in what was supposed to be an "identical" trailer.

Regardless - I would be curious to here from owners who could comment on their experience with the Dometic fridges. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We have had Dometic refrigerators since about 1972 when we bought our Harvest truck camper. They have all been good units and we only had one problem. In our 93 Holiday Rambler, we had an 8 cuft Dometic. About 18 months of ownership, the cooling unit smelled like ammonia and quit cooling. We took it to the dealer, he diagnosed a "dead cooling unit" and Dometic shipped him a replacement to be installed under warranty. Otherwise, we've had two Norcold units with no problems and I suppose 7 or 8 Dometic units with only that one issue. I have no owner experience with Atwood, but have heard of some pretty significant functional problems with the autoswitching program from AC to propane and back. Other than that, I think pretty much they are all very competitive and have much the same reliability profiles.

You made comment about having a 1 year warranty when you get your trailer. The appliances have either a 2 year or 3 year warranty that is provided by the appliance manufacturer. Keystone "manages the warranty" during the first year, after your "trailer warranty" expires, your dealer will still manage your appliance warranty through the individual manufacturer. Dometic and Norcold have a 2 year refrigerator warranty, so you've got a bit more than just what Keystone offers to new RV buyers......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
AussieCanadian

Thanks for detailing the experiences you've had with the Dometic John. I really appreciate that. The point you make about appliance warranty is also something I hadn't appreciated so thank you.

You mentioned "don't be overly worried" about mid model year changes such as this so we will take your advice onboard. Chances are there is very good reason why here has been a switch and at the end of the day - we can rest assured that the fridge will be covered under full warranty.

Thanks

Brad
Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Fridge Model on 2015 Passport?

If I can add to the discussion. I have had Dometic units in all my trailers going back to 1989, with zero issues.

We carry several different lines of RV's, and I have seen the Atwood helium units in lots of different trailers for at least the last year. Can't say OUR shop has seen any back on warranty claim. They both seem to reach operating temp in a reasonable time, and the only real difference I see is the Atwood has a blue interior light.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

x3 on Dometic fridges. Have had zero problems with this brand spread over many years and with many different RVs.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
x3 on Dometic fridges. Have had zero problems with this brand spread over many years and with many different RVs.
x4... "ditto" what Festus said.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
AussieCanadian

Smile

This is great - thanks for all the feedback on the performance of the Dometic. I was a little concerned to start with (as we had the Attwood on the Hideout with zero issues) but now it's not a factor at all.

Excited to take delivery of our new Passport! Pity the weather is still a little cold - have our first trip planned for Easter long weekend