Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
grdsman

Carbon Patio option

Hey everyone! We are going to order a Carbon 357 very soon and was wondering what your thoughts are on the patio option. The new patios that I've seen on the Fuzion have a small "gate" to go out to steps off the ramp. Is this the same patio that comes with the Carbon option? I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

Thanks!

Mike
grdsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
sptddog

I have a fusion 342 without the patio option. I go back and forth, but after a full summer, and 6500 miles of camping, I honestly don't think I'd use the patio that much. The primary reason is that we camp primarily in summer, and opening that back door and using the patio means the air conditioner is useless back there. I supposed on more tolerable days we coud just quickly cool it off in the evening when the kids were heading to bed. We use the garage for a bedroom for the kids, and so we don't always put the beds up each day (they block the air conditioner when up), so the open door is useless in some ways as well. We also don't usually get the luxury of super large campsites in the northeast, and so booking a site that is more remote and with trees sometimes means that we go in right at 38 feet, and the back door wouldn't have room to open, or if it did, we'd be right up against trees.

Now, that all said, the 3-5 trips that encompass spring and fall perfect temperature camping would be pretty neat to have the patio. And my dog would LOVE it. But all in all, I don't think we'd use it. If it had been on it (we bought used), great, but I am glad it wasn't an option we paid for. I think it really depends on where you're camping and what style of camping you do. If we didn't use it as living space, and it was just a garage most of the time, we might have used it more. It wouldn't matter if it was hotter back there, and the beds would likely be in couch mode most of the time.

Speaking of beds and putting them up each day...the primary reason we never use ours in couch mode is because it's really not as simple as it seems to put the pins in for the top bed to stay up. You have to be tall (), and getting the pins in the back slots isn't easy if you have the door up and anything stored back there. I did it once and haven't done it since. When we use that space for sitting and hanging (in the rain for instance), we just drag our folding chairs in there and sit around them.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
spicercars

When we got our new Raptor we had the patio option and I got it without and I am glad I did. Every time you want to load or unload the garage you have to remove the railings which is a pain. Maybe if you had a seasonal spot and didn't use the garage for toys it would work but for me it just doesn't. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
grdsman

Thanks for the replies. We decided to go ahead and order it with the ramp option yesterday. It is the same one that the Raptor comes with. Can't wait to see it in 8-10 weeks!

Mike
grdsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
matandjen

We love the patio. I would not ever have another TH without one. We always use it and having to move the railings when loading is a very minor issue in our opinion
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
crash

We have the Raptor with the rear patio deck and the side patio deck and we (well the dogs) love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	544.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7550  
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Major105bc

We just picked up our Carbon 357 this weekend. It has the patio, gate and steps just like you mentioned.

My only question is will it freeze up the AC with the patio open? It has AC vents in the garage but the unit is in the main cabin.
2013 Ultra Classic
2002 Heritage Springer
Major105bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major105bc View Post
We just picked up our Carbon 357 this weekend. It has the patio, gate and steps just like you mentioned.

My only question is will it freeze up the AC with the patio open? It has AC vents in the garage but the unit is in the main cabin.
You should not have any problems with the AC. You may want to close off the ducts in the garage while you utilize the patio and make sure that the door that enters the cabin stays closed.

We have the three season door option in place of the roll up screen so we are able to keep the garage closed up much more. This gives us the option to run the rear AC if needed and it would be effective in keeping the garage cool on the warmer summer evenings.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
matandjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
You should not have any problems with the AC. You may want to close off the ducts in the garage while you utilize the patio and make sure that the door that enters the cabin stays closed.

We have the three season door option in place of the roll up screen so we are able to keep the garage closed up much more. This gives us the option to run the rear AC if needed and it would be effective in keeping the garage cool on the warmer summer evenings.
I could not agree more.

On really warm evenings, we have also found that closing the patio is less than a 5 minute job. Either way you are good to go
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote