Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
carlosjackal

230LHS owner in New Zealand

G'day,

I have just purchased, and am waiting for delivery to NZ, my 2015 230 LHS.
Everyone is super excited!

Had a look around, but I am struggling to find the specs on the Fridge, oven, water heater, aircon and furnace.
Trying to do some homework prior to this arriving in Feburary (yes, around the world in 80 days!), as I have to make a number of changes for local compliance.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Carl
carlosjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
carlosjackal

ooops, just realised I weren't supposed to ask technical questions. Hope my previous doesn't classify as technical :-)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum from TX! Congratulations on your new purchase and I'm sure you are excited to get it. There is a lot of good information on this forum and a lot of helpful people.

What kind of specs are you looking for exactly and what kind of compliance issues do you have?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
carlosjackal

Hi there, to start with, all wire has to be replaced as we have insulated earth here. We are also 240v 50hz, however we can only fit step down transformers if they are enclosed in the appliance. Apart from that, we are good.
So, what I am struggling to find out is what make/model the fridge, oven, water heater, furnace, aircon is.
Other crucial into also needed, is the furnace, oven, propane or elec, or both?

See my quandary?

Regardless of what I have to do, it will still be worthwhile.

Another thing I suppose I should look into for the future, is RV swaps for holidays with other responsible owners. NZ is a beautiful place, and I would like to visit the U.S. Again :-)
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I'm afraid I won't be a lot of help. The manufacturer puts various things in the RVs as I've been able to tell. Is the unit being built or an existing one that's being shipped? If it's being built I don't know that you will know exactly what's in it until the dealer gets it.

The oven and furnace should be propane (the furnace will have an electric blower). Also, nearly everything in the RV runs on 12vdc. The converter takes the incoming power (here it is 110/120vac) and converts it. Sounds like you will need a different converter. Hot water heater will be propane with the possibility of having an electrical element as well. Your AC will actually run off your incoming power and not the converter.

Seems to me that replacing the converter with one comaptible for your electrical system would go a long way in fixing most of the issues instead of using step down transformers...which wouldn't work anyway since you are using DC appliances. You would have to do something for the airconditioner, but, I don't know how much you need that in NZ.

I knew a guy in Dallas from NZ and from what he described it was a really beautiful place. He missed it and made we want to go!

Good luck in getting everything fixed like you need it.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
carlosjackal

Thanks Mate,

The unit is off the yard. So it is all fully built.
Its good news that the oven and water heater will be LPG.
If the fridge is 12vDC too, that would be brilliant.
As for the aircon, it can get stinky hot during summer, so may have a new compressor or whatever they are, fitted locally in the unit to suit 240v

I suppose I can have a good look when it arrives. If the poor buggers in NY can fight through the snow and get it to Baltimore by the 2nd December :-).

thanks again.

Carl
Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Good! Just remember that you will need to come up with a converter for your 240v that will convert to 12vdc which will run most things in the RV...and one that will fit wherever your existing one is. I doubt that will be a problem. Again, good luck and have fun when you get it.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Carl - I've posted a reply to your questions about makes/models of appliances, etc. in the Technical Corner forum.
Let's try to keep this thread confined to welcoming our new member.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
carlosjackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Carl - I've posted a reply to your questions about makes/models of appliances, etc. in the Technical Corner forum.
Let's try to keep this thread confined to welcoming our new member.
Thanks
Yes, saw that, thanks.

Sorry about the welcome message going off on a tangent. Corrected it now though. cheers