Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Martoonie

Dinning room roof slide leak on Cougar 331MKS

Recently had fiver at dealership for leak on dinning room slide. Water was coming in beside the light fixture above the table. Dealer said the sweep on top of slide was not coming out properly when the slide was extended , causing the leak. I'm not understanding how water could be leaking from near the light fixture inside, if it was just the sweep that wasn't out properly. I would think a seal on the slide roof must be leaking or a small hole or cut in the rubber roof. Maybe someone can help me understand how the water could come in through the inside roof panel and leak on to my table?
Martoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
trueweb

Time to get on a ladder and look around.

Look at the roof for tears in the are you mention, however water has a way of finding it's way into the strangest places. The leak could be anyway and the light fixture could be the first opening it finds that makes it visible.

I would check all the seams, particularly those not behind the sweep. Check the entire front out edge along the top. The sides, if it's a rubber roof, usually wrap around from my experience, so a leak there would be below the roof line and appear on your floor or walls.

Pull the slide in a foot or two then get on a step ladder inside. This way you can examine all the seams that are hidden behind the seals. Look for holes or areas in the trim that holds the roof down that might have leaks. Rusty screw heads are a sign that water is sitting there and no screws behind the sweep should be rusty.

That's all I got for now. Hope it helps.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
goducks

Those sweeps are for sweeping the slide to keep the slide dry when coming in. As well as stooping debris from entering the trailer not waterproofing it. It should seal from the inside edge of the slide as well as the outer seals when closed. The sweeps just help keep things from getting inside the slide when closing it. They provide some water deterrent but are not the main waterproofing item. On the top corners you would still get rain inside if it was blowing hard.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Martoonie

Thanks for the response! This is exactly what I was telling the service manager at my local dealership. The water would have to be getting in through a roof seal or cut in the roof, if it was leaking inside by the light above the table! I will talk to the RV tech before I pick up my fiver, and see exactly what they checked. Have a feeling it will be staying there a while longer to resolve this issue!😡
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Shadowcats

Hey, be sure to let us know the outcome...sounds like something that could happen to any of us. Best of luck on the repair.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
tdawg

I had the same leak what I found was some missing sealant where the inner part of the slide roof termination strip runs. Got dicor out and went front to back with sealant where roof termination strip meets roof no leak since.I am going to do all the slides.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Martoonie

Smile

Thanks! Good to know someone else had a leak in the same place. I'm supposed to pick up fiver later this week, I'll talk to RV tech about what you found. Thanks again'
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
bobbecky

It's also very possible a window seal is leaking, allowing water to get into the wall, maybe traveling the wire to the light fixture. We had a slide window leaking this past winter, drove us nuts for a while until I put up an outside film weather barrier over the window. Stopped the leak. Turned out, there was a gap at the top of the window, where the flange with the sealant contacts the outer wall. The gap was barely enough to get a sheet of paper into, but that was the source of the leak
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Martoonie

Talked to RV tech today about what he checked. Still says it's because of sweep being buckled in? I'm not convinced! I'll get up on slide roof myself and check all roof seams when it warms up a bit outside. It's -32 celcius here today! BRRR!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
DaleB

Dining roof leak

Look at a YouTube video by "Love Your RV" under "eternabond roof". Seems that on the slideouts some if not all slides assembled at Keystone were assembled with screws that were to long and the tip of the screw would bottom out on metal and not allow the screw to go in all the way thus leaving a gap under the head of the screw Now I know that silicone or dicore should have covered this but in many cases he sealant came off and water seeped under the head of the screw.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote