Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Javi

All I got is to wish you good luck...
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
kguess

I just returned from a 2000 trip to the Florida Keys. TV - 2003 F150/ 3.55 / 4.6. / 4 speed transmission Lariat . Added brake controller, transmission cooler. Camper 2011 Keystone Hideout 19' / 4100 lbs. empty/ WD hitch and sway bar. Was I the fastest rig , no. Did I slow on hills ( Florida's I 75 has some), yes. Will I upgrade my truck, probably but I love my present truck. Guys on this sight said let it rev when needed. Didn't use cruise on hilly areas ( did on flat roads), and never drove with overdrive on. All in all, a good road trip. Got about 9-10 mpg towing.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGAcamper View Post

I would think that a tire with "truck" rating and stiffer sidewall would be better suited to heavier loads than a tire with a "passenger" rating...but I'm no expert... I'm just seeking advice....
You don't have to be an "expert" to recognize that a truck used for towing or hauling should not have car or"passenger" (P) rated tires on it and if it does, they should be replaced with a proper "truck" tire - usually an "LT".
Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
NGAcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You don't have to be an "expert" to recognize that a truck used for towing or hauling should not have car or"passenger" (P) rated tires on it and if it does, they should be replaced with a proper "truck" tire - usually an "LT".
Maybe you misinterpreted my comment.. if so, I apologize, but I came here looking for advice....As far as your comment "you don't have to be an expert...." those P rated tires are the same ones that came on my vehicle from the factory. I made many trips towing on those P rated tires... The local Ford dealer said that those tires were adequate for towing within the factory specs or Ford wouldn't have put them on the truck... maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment... I don't know whether I'm being called stupid for not knowing that the tires should be replaced.... no big deal... I learned something here and am thankful for any helpful comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguess View Post
I just returned from a 2000 trip to the Florida Keys. TV - 2003 F150/ 3.55 / 4.6. / 4 speed transmission Lariat . Added brake controller, transmission cooler. Camper 2011 Keystone Hideout 19' / 4100 lbs. empty/ WD hitch and sway bar. Was I the fastest rig , no. Did I slow on hills ( Florida's I 75 has some), yes. Will I upgrade my truck, probably but I love my present truck. Guys on this sight said let it rev when needed. Didn't use cruise on hilly areas ( did on flat roads), and never drove with overdrive on. All in all, a good road trip. Got about 9-10 mpg towing.
Thanks... we have similar trucks, same engine too... I feel mine is adequate for towing the TT once I change to LT tires....
NGAcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGAcamper View Post
The local Ford dealer said that those tires were adequate for towing within the factory specs or Ford wouldn't have put them on the truck... maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment... I don't know whether I'm being called stupid for not knowing that the tires should be replaced.... no big deal... I learned something here and am thankful for any helpful comments.
Thanks... we have similar trucks, same engine too... I feel mine is adequate for towing the TT once I change to LT tires....
NGACamper -
I guess we're both misinterpreting each other......but I just wouldn't feel safe towing with a truck that had "passenger" tires on it - in spite of what a dealer would tell me. But that's just me.

Glad to hear that you will be replacing them with an LT tire.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
NGAcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
NGACamper -
I guess we're both misinterpreting each other......but I just wouldn't feel safe towing with a truck that had "passenger" tires on it - in spite of what a dealer would tell me. But that's just me.

Glad to hear that you will be replacing them with an LT tire.

No problem... Guess you can't believe everything they say in that Ford Service Dept... that's another reason I'm here to learn from the mistakes made by others....thanks...
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

My boss just scored some nice tires for his F250. Took them down to the local tire store and they refused to mount them as they were "P" not LT rated. Go figure...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
My boss just scored some nice tires for his F250. Took them down to the local tire store and they refused to mount them as they were "P" not LT rated. Go figure...
They cannot mount tires of lesser load rating than were originally on the truck... More yes.... less no
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #29
NGAcamper

Quote:
But they would have installed these "P" rated tires on my half ton F-150 since my F-150 left the factory with "p" rated Michelin LTX tires.... Just found this on Tire Rack's page....

The Michelin LTX A/S is a durable, premium, highway all-season light truck tire designed to meet new vehicle Original Equipment requirements. The LTX A/S was developed to provide particularly smooth, even wear, low noise and good fuel efficiency, even in demanding commercial applications.

The LTX A/S features Michelin's advanced all-weather light truck tread rubber compound molded into a five-rib, closed-shoulder tread design to blend light snow traction with a quiet ride. On the inside, LTX A/S tires feature two steel belts (Load Range D and Load Range E sizes add a third steel belt) to enhance durability and tread puncture resistance. The LTX A/S features Michelin’s Stress Equilibrium Casing design to distribute stresses evenly through the tire’s footprint to provide even wear and long mileage.

I guess I have a Load Range D tire since it starts with a "P".... but the load rating is 109T and it has the third steel belt found on load range E tires... I have a good light truck tire....but not a heavy duty tire like an E rated tire with stiffer sidewalls....?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
They cannot mount tires of lesser load rating than were originally on the truck... More yes.... less no

Yeah. I just thought you would get a laugh..he didn't look at the sidewalls when he bought them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #31
NGAcamper

Quote:
Yeah. I just thought you would get a laugh..he didn't look at the sidewalls when he bought them.
Looks like he got a good deal on a light truck tire.... but not a E rated tire...I've got 40,000 miles on these... and when I replace them, they will get the E rated tires....
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup..so are you closer to deciding which trailer your going to get?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #33
NGAcamper

Quote:
Yup..so are you closer to deciding which trailer your going to get?
The wife says lets get the Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 238ML... so I'm happy that I don't have to look at any other brands or models...now it's shopping time...and figuring out whether or not to pull money out of an investment account that earned 16.5% the last 12 months, or just finance for 4 years...not planning on purchasing until after labor day.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Sound good! Post pics when you get it, your going to love the RV lifestyle.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #35
NGAcamper

Quote:
We did the tent thing when were in the 20's...pop up when we were in the 30's and 40's... stayed in hotels ever since and tired of it...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #36
Razor303

My wife and I LOVE our Bullet, and love camping, I'll be glad to get the new truck broken in so we can go camping again... getting ready for a long road trip soon..
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps482ed297.jpg
Previous setup's
2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi AWD 3.92 axle, Air Lift 1000 air springs
2012 Salem Cruise Lite 261BH
1999 Coleman pop-up
Tent
Razor303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #37
NGAcamper

Quote:
Will do..... thanks for the help...
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #38
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Dawt10characters
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #39
NGAcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Finance it.

Pulling money out of a high-earning investment account is foolish.

Borrowing money is cheap right now. And tax deductible.
I was thinking the same and a monthly payment on a short term loan would be no burden at all.....thanks...
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

The interest paid on a self contained unit may qualify for tax deduction.