Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
sptddog

Fuzion 342 Gfi issue and questions

We're out in our first weekend in our new to us fuzion 342. For some reason none of the gfi outlets work and the one we can find with the reset won't reset (no power to it or bad outlet?). The DVD player also won't work, nor the fireplace, but the rest of the entertainment center items work fine. Our reset gfi is in the garage, that's the only reset we can find. Is there another?

I don't know if the gfi ever worked, but I know the fireplace and DVD player did as I used them while camping in the driveway using the generator.

I noticed the fireplace didn't work at home, thought it was because my battery was low and generator was not charging it fast enough. The week before I forgot to disconnect the battery and clearly the disconnect doesn't fully disconnect.

Seems like there is another reset somewhere, but I can't find it. I checked fuses, we're going to try to replace the gfi outlet today, and I've rest all the breakers. Other ideas?
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
ctpd814

There should be a GFI outlet in the bathroom. I am not near mine now or I would check.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
canesfan

X2 on the GFI in the bathroom.

Does your fireplace have a remote and are you trying to use it that way? Mine was DOA (fireplace worked manually but not with the remote). They had to replace the whole fireplace because the remote didn't work. It wasn't the battery either. It was the sensor on the fireplace itself.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
hankaye

sptdog, Howdy;

[QUOTE=sptddog;121635]
I don't know if the gfi ever worked, but I know the fireplace and DVD player did as I used them while camping in the driveway using the generator.

I noticed the fireplace didn't work at home, thought it was because my battery was low and generator was not charging it fast enough. The week before I forgot to disconnect the battery and clearly the disconnect doesn't fully disconnect.[QUOTE]

Just a wild guess but the 2 quoted paragraphs indicate that you were using
the Generator and were having problems with the Disconnect... I'd investigate
that line of thought to see what happens.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
sptddog

ItWe're Not Using The Remote, Never Used It. I Also Can't Find A Gfi In The Bathroom. There Is An Outlet Marked Gfi, But It Isn't A Reset. I Did ClickThe Battery Disconnect Thinking It Had To Be In The Opposite Position, But It Didn't Change Anything.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptddog View Post
We're out in our first weekend in our new to us fuzion 342. For some reason none of the gfi outlets work and the one we can find with the reset won't reset (no power to it or bad outlet?). The DVD player also won't work, nor the fireplace, but the rest of the entertainment center items work fine. Our reset gfi is in the garage, that's the only reset we can find. Is there another?

I noticed the fireplace didn't work at home, thought it was because my battery was low and generator was not charging it fast enough. The week before I forgot to disconnect the battery and clearly the disconnect doesn't fully disconnect.

Seems like there is another reset somewhere, but I can't find it. I checked fuses, we're going to try to replace the gfi outlet today, and I've rest all the breakers. Other ideas?
Not following you on the Fireplace, thought they were 120VAC electric??? If so, what does that have to do with your battery being low?? Worked in Driveway, did not work at house ??

Okay see if I got this correct:

GFI plugs no Power
Can not reset GFI in GArage
DVD does not work (separate 120VAC device pluged into 120VAC outlet by itself)
Fireplace does not work (assuming it is 120VAC)
Entertainment system Works (assume its a 12VDC device)

If I have this correct I would guess the DVD, the 120VAC fireplace, and the GFI's are off the same 120VAC breaker in the distribution Panel. I would check and make sure that breaker is not tripped. There is a reason why the DVD and Fireplace have no power, possible breaker tripped. Not sure what labels are on your 120VAC breakers fireplace, GFI ??? If these devices are all on one breaker as I am guessing there would not be two separate breakers labeled as FIREPLACE, GFI

As stated by others GFI/reset plug is in many rigs is in the bathroom. Needs to be in a place where it is insight and easy to reset, depending on how wires were run could be located anywhere. Usually only one GFI/reset outlet in rig. If you can get to the point of all 120VAC plugs have power except GFIs then I would suspect the GFI/reset outlet.

If you feel comfortable around electricity when you pull that GFI/Reset plug and check with a meter that the input side has 120VAC, if bad output side would have zero. If zero on input side no power coming from breakker or down stream plug

Just my 2 cents based on my understanding of the problem
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
sptddog

They Are On Separate Breakers According To The Labels.

Reason I Suspected Battery At One Time Was Because The Lights Etc WerE Dim To, And So I Thought It WaS Not Coming On Because Generator hadn't Charged The BatteryEnough. Electricity Isn't My Strong Suit.

No Idea Either Why My Phone Keeps Typing In Caps! Grr.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
sptddog

Reason I Suspected Battery At One Time Was Because The Lights Etc WerE Dim To, And So I Thought It WaS Not Coming On Because Generator hadn't Charged The BatteryEnough. Electricity Isn't My Strong Suit.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
sptddog

Also Noticing That Neither Air Conditioner Will Kick On. Might Be More To The Picture. Crossing My Fingers ThIs Won't Turn Into An Electrical Nightmare.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:

Any 120VAC breakers in power distribution panel tripped?
Does DVD work now in that 120VAC receptacle?
Fireplace working?
Everything in rig working except GFI's?

If answers are no, yes, yes, yes then again if you feel comfortable I would pull that GFI/RESET receptacle and check for power as I specified in previous post "REMEMBER THAT IS 120VAC " powering that outlet. I guess you could shut off 120VAC breaker and hope labeled correctly, which should cut power to that outlet. Remove outlet from wall enough to identify wires. We want to check the source side (NOT LOAD) to see if you have 120VAC coming to the GFI. NOW making sure wires are not touching anything turn the breaker back on and with a meter check for 120VAC

If get nothing on non load terminals then you can conclude not getting power to GFI from breaker or another plug. If have power then you can concentrate on the GFI itself.

Here is a question; not sure based on the type GFI if it will allow you to reset it if there is an existing fault in the load line?? These things are really sensitive. NOT sure what you are capable of doing AGAIN IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE GET SOMEONE!! I am not going to go any further not knowing what you know.

REMEMBER shut off BREAKER before putting GFI back in wall

I will wait on your response, working on taxes

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Just seen your post on the AC's

I would put the GFI issue aside for now, looks like you have bigger fish to FRY. I suggest you/we work on big stuff first and list those things that are not working. To address both AC's not working, which if loaded correctly should be on differed phases of your 50 Amp service, is strange I assumed you were on shore power?? Again I would not chase down that GFI issue until you no everything that is not working then determine how they may be related

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
poochy

doe microwave work if not check power at pole plug?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
sptddog

Replaced The Outlet, No Luck. Front Air Conditioner Finally Working, But The Back Air Conditioner Still Not. It Clicks, But No Turn On. Dealer Will Have To Take A Look.I'm Actually Wondering If It's The Transfer Switch.

UnderThe Pass Through There Are Electrical Connections....But One Wire Still Hanging...Will Try To Post Pic.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
sptddog

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Replaced The Outlet, No Luck. Front Air Conditioner Finally Working, But The Back Air Conditioner Still Not. It Clicks, But No Turn On. Dealer Will Have To Take A Look.I'm Actually Wondering If It's The Transfer Switch.

UnderThe Pass Through There Are Electrical Connections....But One Wire Still Hanging...Will Try To Post Pic.
I assume you replaced GFI outlet? Was there 120VAC ON source side (non load terminals)??? What did you do to fix the one AC?? WIRE HANGING??
ARE these same issues happening when on generatoror shore power?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
sptddog

Yes, Replaced. Thought We Had Tester Here, But We Didn't So We Just Replaced. Not Sure On The Conditione.... And Same On Generator, Same Stuff Didn't Work. Fridge Doesn't Work On AC Either. Got To Be Something Somewhere That's Jinxing TheM All.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Can not see much from that picture you sent, but if I had guess something I would say it was the control unit for your remote control and the wire you see hanging is the RF antenna. The small modules look like switching units (relays) assume larger black ones are for say the slides. Okay my guess based on what I can see. Is that a picture of your storage area ? See a heating register in there

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
dogger

We had an issue similar to this a couple weeks back. We arrived at a campsite, plugged into the pole, and our fridge would not work on AC, nor would anything wired in series after the GFI (as everything wired after the GFI is to be safe). I was surprised how many outlets run off the GFI circuit in the garage. Including all the kitchen receptacles, bathroom, and outside. Each of the receptacles that the GFI covers has a label on it saying 'GFI'. I did a bit of investigation and found the campground power was the issue. I figured this out by disconnecting from their power and running the generator. Then the reset on the GFI worked without any issue. Our fireplace is not wired on the same circuit.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
sptddog

Thanks for the input - we have the same issues on genny power. I've narrowed it down to one whole 'line' not getting power. Not sure if it's the transfer switch (which has been replaced after the recall) or a loose wire/short, but almost everything on one line is down (fireplace, GFI, 1 air conditioner, fridge, etc). It's at the dealer getting looked at for the hydraulics (when servicing the fluid they noticed a hose missing - Lippert replacing whole pump under warranty (yay me)) and they are going to look at this too. I think they suspect a loose wire at the transfer switch since the line doesn't work on genny or shore power.

I too was amazed that all but one outlet was tied to that GFI. What a pain!

Just as an FYI for the picture above...that panel operates the remote control which runs the jacks, awnings etc. The hanging wire is the remote antennea. It was probably tucked in somewhere at one time, and fell out.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #20
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Can not see much from that picture you sent, but if I had guess something I would say it was the control unit for your remote control and the wire you see hanging is the RF antenna. The small modules look like switching units (relays) assume larger black ones are for say the slides. Okay my guess based on what I can see. Is that a picture of your storage area ? See a heating register in there
You were right on the panel!

Yes, the pass through has a heating register. Not sure why, but it's there lol.