Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Yosemitebob,

You mentioned heading to the coast to stay out of ice. That may be a very good idea, it will sure make the trip less hazardous for the biggest part of the mileage, but remember that it only takes 60 feet of ice to make the entire rig one big slippery mass of RV/TV heading in different directions. Please take it easy and never let your "guard up" as you make this trip. Miles and miles of "good road" followed by a couple feet of ice is just as unsafe as miles and miles of icy roads. Best to you and yours and wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #22
BOWWOW

One way to decide if there is black ice present is to drive over the ZIP STRIP, if you don't hear it it's probably full of ice.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
Desert185

My wife, who grew up in AK, hates and fears "black ice". As a pilot, I call it clear ice. Regardless of what it is called, it is best to avoid the condition, so we watch the outside air temperature when in the car, watch the spray coming off the tires of other cars and avoid traveling when conditions are ideal for clear ice on the roadway. This is especially true when hauling a trailer.

I'm no expert, but this is what we do. Go later in the day, be careful of curves in the shadow of the sun, downhills and temps in the range of 29-34dF seem to be the worst conditions. We plan to be off the road when darkness arrives and the temperatures get into the "danger range", i.e. avoidance seems to be the best option.

It helps to have an AWD car or putting the 4WD in 4H. It helps with slowing/braking and maintaining control while accelerating. Put some weight in the back of the truck, and I don't mean a couple of sand bags. Two wheel drive pickups with no LSD and empty beds are the worst thing to drive in icy conditions.

This is an old thread, that is being renewed in a seasonally timely manner. Perhaps reviewing cold weather operations, like we do at the airlines at the beginning of every winter season, would be a positive reminder to get folks thinking about the coming changing conditions.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly, last year we had two members destroy their rigs on ice while towing. That's two too many, and hopefully this year we won't have any losses. Driving defensively, staying alert and anticipating what's ahead as well as simply getting off the road when conditions are "ripe for trouble" will go further than anything else at keeping the almost 15 thousand of us safe through the winter months.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
allmi01

Since I was one of them, I'll chime in. The rig wasn't destroyed but banged up bad. 25 weeks in the shop so I missed most of this years camping season.

In my specific case, I knew it was black ice conditions, 25 degrees F, night (about midnight) after a major snow event and lots of road salt. Driving at 40 MPH and still being extremely careful, things happen.

If you can avoid traveling in these conditions, please do so. Its the only sure way to prevent issues.

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

Mike
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Earlier on in this thread, I included the following link: www.icyroadsafety.com
Since icy road conditions will soon be upon many of us, taking a few minutes to review it will be time well spent.

A good reminder this time of year.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
Yosemitebob

Yes indeed, sense I just received word we are headed to Washington during the holiday season again this year, I shall take the time to review this thread once again. Last year i saw some real fascinating types of weather including black ice and one where the fog freezes on everything it touches, the name escapes me at the present. I kept an eye on the outside temperature at all times, even had a buzzer that warned me of freezing temps. It took me three days each way, but we were not in a hurry anyway. However, I really did enjoy that trip.

Fetus2 your link made a great read last year, and no doubt it will again this year.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
one where the fog freezes on everything it touches, the name escapes me at the present.
Always just called it Ice Fog. Ran into it one January outside of Medicine Hat, AB. Not nice at all as the windshield just froze over and all the heat couldn't do a thing.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Always just called it Ice Fog. Ran into it one January outside of Medicine Hat, AB. Not nice at all as the windshield just froze over and all the heat couldn't do a thing.
That's it, duh, and I couldn't remember that , It lasted about three days, I just stayed put. Sure is quite a phenomena, beautiful to say the least.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote