Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
MikeES

You can use your existing shank...if it is a 10,000 shank (or 12,000 if that's what you buy). The Equalizer uses a standard shank. I bought a Reese DCSC and was disappointed with its sway control. I bought an Equalizer and it works much better than the Reese.
The Reese did come with a longer shank which gave enough clearance for the tailgate to clear the tongue jack, so I am now using the longer shank that came with the Reese on the Equalizer hitch.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
x96mnn

The Reese when set up properly, people swear by them. The problem with them it almost seems you need a masters in engineering to set it up properly. Have had mine on two campers, both times professionally installed and I had sway. I followed a post I think on here with fantastic instructions, and I can tell you when it was professionally installed both times, neither had my tow vehicle or did the S turns to set the cams. After I installed it again, which I could not make 100% perfect as I would need to drill new holes the the frame too close to the others! it got a lot better.

Freind of mine has a husky straight line, which is similar in design although it has two cams built in, it is rock solid, the trail tows much smother then mine ever did, I was heavier but the campers were identical in length. If I was buying today I do not think I would go with the Reese based on the need to have an expert set it up and lots of dealers lack in that department.

I just fixed my sway issues once and for all, bought a 3500 dually lol.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #23
audio1der

I just had a lower drop head installed with my original shank. I thought had it dialed in last year (except I was nose-high). The new setup has the head at the same angle, I think I need to lower it a bit. Sigh. Here we go with more experimenting.
^The last poster was not kidding. When it's on, it's on. But it's a lot of work to get it there.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
Tbos

I use the 10K version of the equalizer and as mentioned it is easy to use and works very well. I have found their is some noise when I do slow manuevering around for parking, etc.. but I understand there are some new nylon shims that may reduce that noise. All in all I am very happy with it.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote