Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
skidooxman

Equal-I-zer hitch vs Reese dual cam

Folks need some input here please, anybody have pros or cons to either the equal-i-zer e4 set up or the Reese dual cam setup? Both kits are the 12k kits. Thanks for the help.

I have Reese dual cam 15k on my Toyhauler but trying to get a feel for equal-I-zer E4 kit for a lighter trailer.

Concern is load equalizing and sway control, tow vehicle is a 2500hd duramax.

Thanks again
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Fixjet

Re: Equal-I-zer hitch vs Reese dual cam

Skidooxboy, I'm a Polarisboy.

Same truck as you and I use the Eqaul-I-zer 14k. I did have a 10k when I had a smaller trailer and a Suburban 2500. They work great for me as you can tell I bought a second one. What I like the most about them is ease of first time setup and your done. Hooking up has to be one of the easiest one the market. I like not dealing with chains just 2 bars. Plain and simply it just works for sway and WD. Rv Wholesalers had the best deal I found and free shipping. You'll get good comments on the reese too. I'm sure it's a fime system also but I whet with simple and more ground clearance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Fixjet

After rereading your post I see you were talking about the e2.

As Gilda Radner would say, nevermind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Chippewa93

I have an Equalizer and the best thing is I don't break a sweat while the others are breaking their backs with tightening chains
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
theeyres

I had the Equal-i-er on a previous trailer and loved it. Worked like a charm. I would recommend it to anybody. I do have to admit that now that we are back to a trailer after full-timing with a fiver I am seriously considering the Anderson, mainly because I got tired of dealing with the heavy bars. The Anderson looks really appealing because you just slip on that one piece under the hitch an you are done.

But between the two you ask about, the Equal-i-zer wins hands down.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
campingcpl

We have the Equal-i-zer brand hitch and love the simplicity of hooking up. And we have never had a problem with sway either.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
allmi01

I'll ad to the X whatever. I have the Equalizer 4 and love it! I have the dual cam on the 3 prior rigs I had.

What made the choice easy for me was simplicity as others stated and you don't need to be virtually straight onto the trailer to hook up. The dual cam system requires an almost stright line between the TV and trailer to be able to hook up the bars / chains.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
cathcartww

Check out the Reese Pro Series SC. Has the ease of set up like the Equal-li-zer, but uses the same trunion head as most the other Reese hitches. I like the "brake pad" brackets better than the brackets on the Equal-li-zer ......

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
MikeES

Just recently installed a Reese Dual Cam, and have been disappointed. The trailer has more sway issues than the Eagle Pro WD hitch with no sway control it replaced. Several friends have the Equalizer and are happy with it, except they are noisey. As an Engineer, I thought the Reese looked much more like an active sway control with its "cams" than the Equalizer, but the reality is...
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Just to throw my 2 pennies into the pot...
My previous RV was a TT older 26' orphan and when I bought it
the hitch came with it, an older Equal-I-zer. So old the adjustment
for the hitch ball was wielded into position instead of having the
shims for adjustment. I digress...
Returning from Ohio to Utah I was about 15 miles East of Effingham, Il.
on I-70 when I had the Left front trailer tire blow to smithereens at
about 65 mph. Instead of acting like a 4 year old that had just stubbed
it's toe the trailer stayed right where it was supposed to as I pulled
over to the shoulder.
It worked!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
I'll ad to the X whatever. I have the Equalizer 4 and love it! I have the dual cam on the 3 prior rigs I had.

What made the choice easy for me was simplicity as others stated and you don't need to be virtually straight onto the trailer to hook up. The dual cam system requires an almost stright line between the TV and trailer to be able to hook up the bars / chains.
We have the dual cam, and even at a pretty good angle I haven't had trouble hooking or unhooking it. By the time it gets to about 45 degrees, yes it is an issue. 15 to 20 degrees off straight, no issue at least for me.

I haven't used the equalizer. It does get great reviews. the dual cam has worked very well for us. I will say that the installation instructions for the Dual cam do leave something to be desired, especially regarding checking for adequate clearance between the bar and cam mounting bracket on turns. Once set up properly it's great, but it wouldn't suprise me if the equalizer is an easier initial installation.

IMHO either one is a good choice.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
fla-gypsy

I have been using the Reese Dual Cam for years without any issues. There seems to be some idea that somehow this hitch requires heavy lifting to hook up. Not so, that is what the tongue jack is for. Mine rides rock solid.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #13
MikeES

Equalizer vs. Reese Dual Cam

As an update to my previous response (disappointed in the Reese Dual Cam). I have purchased and installed an Equalizer and WOW! a big difference over the Reese dual cam, much improved sway control. And it is easier to hook up and unhook.

I now have a 12k Reese Dual Cam wd hitch for sale
Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #14
BirchyBoy

I did a 5,600 mile trip last month with my new trailer and Equalizer 10k hitch and it worked great. The bars are heavy and I'd get greasy sometimes, but it worked as well as I've read and the camper behaved very well. Most of the time I'm able to put the bars in place and remove them without the tool it came with, but I did need it once or twice.

One thing that does bother me though is how hard it is to make any adjustments to the main part with the shims. When I bought the combo, the shop set it up without any weight being in the camper or the TV. I think it sits a little low when loaded and I try to put more weight in the back of the camper to compensate. I don't have the tools necessary to remove the large bolts and add shims so that is a deterrent to me. It's nothing a trip to the dealer and a $100 dollars couldn't fix, but I'd prefer to not have to do that. I must say, though, that my TV never felt light on the front at all, so perhaps all is OK and I'm stressing over nothing.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
We have the dual cam, and even at a pretty good angle I haven't had trouble hooking or unhooking it. By the time it gets to about 45 degrees, yes it is an issue. 15 to 20 degrees off straight, no issue at least for me.

I haven't used the equalizer. It does get great reviews. the dual cam has worked very well for us. I will say that the installation instructions for the Dual cam do leave something to be desired, especially regarding checking for adequate clearance between the bar and cam mounting bracket on turns. Once set up properly it's great, but it wouldn't suprise me if the equalizer is an easier initial installation.

IMHO either one is a good choice.
You beat me to it. I feel the Reese DCSC is an amazing setup once it's dialed in, but that can be a lengthy process. I have never had an issue backing up with the trunion arms still in place, not hooking up at an angle, and don't mind the setup each time, nut I can appreciate the simplicity of the EQ.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
GMcKenzie

Can I use my existing hitch head with the dual cam? I would need new bars and the hanger setup of course.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
audio1der

^ Which hitch setup do you have right now? The Reese DCSC needs the hitch head which holds the flat trunion bars. If you already have that, as long as it is rated for the load, it should work.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
GMcKenzie

I've got round bars. I thought you could use round bars with this as well. Just need the bars to have the hook in the chain end (which mine don't). Do I need trunnion style?

And how would the Anderson compare? My unit is pretty long at 34'4" and I've had sway issues.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
audio1der

The DCSC system needs the flat bard with the detent (curve) near the end to sit on the cam.
Sounds like you'd have to buy the whole setup- might be a chance to try the EQ system instead.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
GMcKenzie

Been looking online and the Equal-i-zer can be had for around $525 Cdn. This does not include the shank or ball. Any reason my existing shank won't work? It looks the same and would save $125 ish.

Also, I'm torn between the 10000 and 12000 pound setup. Trailer is about 8200 and 12% of that is 1000 (tongue weight) so the 100000 should do but is there an issue with going up to the 12000? I ask because it is cheaper on Amazon.ca for the heavier setup.