Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Kmgk92

Need stabilizer advice

Well we had our "maiden voyage" with the new fifth wheel. Truck towed great, hubby said truck was big enough, I wasn't so sure! Rpm's never went above 2500 even up hill. My issue is I think we had too much movement once set up. Seemed to move more than our old travel trailer. So do FW have more sway to them or do I need to do something different? We used a tripod on the pin, use X chocks on the wheels and put pads under the front jacks and rear stabilizers. Could feel sway in RV even when it was just the dog walking. Any advice?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
x96mnn

Get a set of JT strong arms. Look for a post about 7 down called stabilizers by tundraman, goes into good detail. From the reviews that will fix your issue.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmgk92 View Post
Well we had our "maiden voyage" with the new fifth wheel. Truck towed great, hubby said truck was big enough, I wasn't so sure! Rpm's never went above 2500 even up hill. My issue is I think we had too much movement once set up. Seemed to move more than our old travel trailer. So do FW have more sway to them or do I need to do something different? We used a tripod on the pin, use X chocks on the wheels and put pads under the front jacks and rear stabilizers. Could feel sway in RV even when it was just the dog walking. Any advice?
Lots of folks have already asked the same questions here including one within the last week or so. There are a number of extensive threads on the topic with a lot of good answers and information just waiting to be read.

Search on stabilizers or steadyfast or strong arm

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Jim7411

SteadyFast...no more rock n' roll

I've had the SteadyFast stabilizers for about a year now. Great product, and even better customer support. The owner gives you his cell number if you have any installation questions or problems. How's that for service?
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7411 View Post
I've had the SteadyFast stabilizers for about a year now. Great product, and even better customer support. The owner gives you his cell number if you have any installation questions or problems. How's that for service?
I have these as well and spoke to the owner as well as emailed and RETURNED on Saturday. Would definitely buy from again!!!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
greende

Another vote for Steadyfast. Very well made and heavy duty.
greende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Str8shooter

Another very happy SteadyFast owner here. Great product backed by great service. Maybe takes 30 to 40 seconds to walk around the camper to turn each handle to set up or take down. Included with the product is a very sharp drill bit for the install. Good luck!

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Clanton24v

Steady fast is a great product with a great company owner backing his product personally.
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
MNawman

I used the kingpin tripod and large wood blocks under the landing gear and all stabilizing jacks. The lower the rig is to the ground and shorter the legs, the more stable it will be.
MNawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
SteveC7010

I'm using the SteadyFast system on the Cougar and it's very effective. We were going to purchase the king pin stabilizer if needed, but so far, SteadyFast is taking care of all the wobble.

Chocking the tandems nice and tight is still important. Whether you use the homemade ones like mine or the X-Chocks or you use wedges under the tires probably isn't critical. What is important is to get it tight and then check it again. If you set up when you first arrive at a campground, your tires are larger in diameter due to heat. When they cool to ambient temperature, they shrink enough that your initial tightening on the chocks is rendered useless. Mine become loose enough to totally remove them without spinning the nut at all. Tire shrinkage when they cool is probably enough reason to skip wedges and go for the clamping chocks.

I also think that fully extending the scissors jack stabilizers defeats their purpose. I prefer to build up under each jack enough that they extend only about 50% to do their job.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote