Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
kenn209

Charlie Brown in CT

So we are planning a trip up to Connecticut to see some relatives, and plan on staying at Charlie Brown campground in Eastford, Anyone ever stay here? It has some good reviews.

On the way back we are stopping in Manheim, Pa at Pinch Pond for a couple days. Anyone know of this campground?

Also traveling up to CT we are coming from Virginia, any recommendations on routes to take? Should we go straight up I-95 to NJ Turnpike to Garden State Parkway to the TZ Bridge? Anyway to avoid tolls without going all over the place would be nice....

Thanks

Reed
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Boy, that's a tough route to pick. You could get 95 and take that all the way up, but it will run you through the city. Not sure if Garden State parkway allows trailers. Guess you could always head over the Tappanzee before going thru NYC. Don't see any way you can miss the tolls without going way out of your way. Either the Bay Bridge or 95. If ya go over the bay bridge you could use the Cape May/Lewes ferry too, but I think that's about $70.00. And don't forget you can't go thru the Fort McHenry tunnel anymore with propane-not even if you have it turned off. If you really want off the beaten path, take 95 up to Baltimore, take the 695 inner loop up to 83. 83 up to 81 in PA, 81 to 78 into NJ, 287 over the Tappanzee and 684 up to Conn. For me, I'd have to figure out how much I'd save in tolls vs. extra fuel. Tolls for a dually pickup with a triple axle trailer aren't too cheap on the east coast But by summer fuel is probably going to be $5 a gallon and at 9 mpg it won't matter much. Good luck with whatever you decide, and post back what you do.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
kenn209

Well crap, Your right! Nothing over 7k on "the parkway", alright looking for other routes!

I guess I can take I-287 all the way around!! Probably more scenic anyway!! lol
Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
But by summer fuel is probably going to be $5 a gallon and at 9 mpg it won't matter much. Good luck with whatever you decide, and post back what you do.
I have not been on that far on the East coast camping yet, so I can not state anything on the camp grounds. But have you used these two sites for reviews on camp grounds: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ , http://www.gocampingamerica.com/index.aspx

I am also commenting on the fuel issue that was stated, I all have to say is. The kids and grand kids will have less inheritance money in there future. The cost of fuel will not slow me down in our life style and traveling around the US. I am going to enjoy myself with my wife for as long as we can. BTW I am retired have been for two years.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Ruffus

Talking Just My Two cent's Worth

Okay guys, lets think outside the box. The North East is really beautiful but and old outdoors man use to say," Go West young man, go West", and that works for older outdoors men too. No tolls (most places), cheaper full (until you hit California) and wide open spaces. Oh yeh, almost forgot, Winery's, lots and lots of Whinery's.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
kenn209

Yeah I know but this is a trip to see family!! So really will head west soon! DW has never been west of the Mississippi (except in Louisiana). She doesn't know what she is missing. Since I grew up in Washington State. Would love to get up that way and do some camping...
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Okay guys, lets think outside the box. The North East is really beautiful but and old outdoors man use to say," Go West young man, go West", and that works for older outdoors men too. No tolls (most places), cheaper full (until you hit California) and wide open spaces. Oh yeh, almost forgot, Winery's, lots and lots of Whinery's.
Wife says there aren't enough sandy beaches with ocean view between Ohio and Cal. Her sister lives outside of Denver and I been trying to convince her of a 2 week trip out there. Been up & down the east coast from Maine to Fla. Furthest west I got was Nashville, and when the guy told me I went west I almost laughed at him but I did go thru a time zone Jimm, I still don't see a good way for you to go. All depends if you can time it out going thru the city, won't be too bad- just don't go between 7am and midnite Good luck with what ever ya do.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Ruffus

Smile Sandy Beachs

Hey Mike, here's an idea. Take her to the sisters in Denver and then down to Alamosa Colorado for a day trip to the Great Sand Dune National Park (take your trailer too). When you get there tell her that you heard that just over the next hill there is a sandy beach. Keep telling her that until you are on the West Coast. There is enough natural wonders in between to keep her mind occupied until you get there, though going through the plain states may be a little challenging unless she like muesums (mispelled). Lots of them.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Outbackmel

On the bandwagon roll

Be a politician and make her promises you know you do not intend to keep or get her to Colorado, then each day find interesting sites for her, each about 500 miles west; 2 days and BINGO, mission accomplished. Or lastly, ask her to co-pilot and re-do your map so east is west and tell her you are headed home....

I find the promise of shoes and Brighton jewelry work in my household
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Man, we really hijacked this thread, and you guys are just trying to get me in trouble. Best thing about 34 years of marriage is we tend to agree alot, and when it comes to camping she pretty much is willing to go anywhere. Now that I can take the bike along she's even happier. When my parents retired they planned a trip out west and were going to go thru Utah to Ca, and up the coast to my mom's sister in Wash. Ended up not taking the camper, just my dad's pickup with cap and an air matress in back. Ended up being one of the hottest years on record and my mom can't take the heat so it was dreadful. Srill would like to do that myself one day, but it's super difficult for me to get 2 weeks of in a row. Think retirement is about 12-15 years away, so there's still hope.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Okay guys, lets think outside the box. Oh yeh, almost forgot, Winery's, lots and lots of Whinery's.
While your on the east coast. New Jersey is #6 in wine production and #1 in wine consumption in the nation. ( Don't ask me how I know that) Check out a couple of our wineries and you'll forget why you wanted to go to Ct.
There are no weight restrictions on the Garden State Parkway from Exit 1 to 105 ... after that only commercial vehicles are restricted ...... RVs are allowed the entire length. The tolls will kill you but it probably is the best route fuel-wise.
JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote