Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Mitch

slide out problem

This issue has probably been addressed many times but I've not been able to find anything. I have a 2001 28.5 Montana Mountaineer. The slide worked perfectly but I think one of my kids may have done a boo boo. I had the slide in for the winter and came home from work and it was out. I walked over and could hear the electric slide motor making a noise. I went inside and tried to make the slide retract. No luck, so I disconnected the motor lead at the battery. I spoke with a RV repair person and he said that there was a relay fuse ($180) for the slide had probably gotten hot and blown. I unwired the motor and used jumper cables to get the slide back in. I have no idea where the fuse is located. The repair guy indicated there was separate board for the slide. Any suggestions? The slide worked great, I just need some info on the electrical aspect. Thanks. BTW, no one came clean on why or how the slide was out.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Go here:

http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...ideout-web.pdf

On page 17 is a simplified schematic of the electrical system. If you look, you'll see that the only "thermal breaker" is a 30Amp autoreset circuit breaker. It's probably one of the "red cans" mounted near the batteries. Look for melted "red plastic" or even for some evidence of being overheated. There should be 2 or possibly 3 12VDC circuit breakers in that general area.

I'm making an "educated best guess" that what he was talking about isn't really a specialized component, but rather the circuit breaker in the trailer wiring. And, even though it's only a $5 part, it probably would cost upwards of $150 to troubleshoot, replace and check out the system. You can do it in the driveway for $5 and a beer <wink> LOL

Let's hope that's all it is.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
jsmith948

X2 on John's advice. As far as how the slide was extended, you have obviously been victimized by Gremlins (usually named 'Not Me' or 'Ida Know'). I had lots of problems with these gremlins and their mischief. Funny thing though - since both of our sons have gone out into the world, we have not had anymore trouble with gremlins

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Mitch

Thanks John and Jack. I can't get the page to open with the schematic but I did go look at what appeared to be some kind of red block. The block on the right had a heavier gauge red wire on it which had some black on it. There were a couple of more wire coming out of the block which were black, so I didn't see any sign of heat. I have a starting place anyway. Thanks for the help. I'll let you all know when I get something resolved. Gremlins happen and that keeps life interesting.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Gotta love those gremlins. "Back when"..... gremlins got "whupped" and "sent to bed without supper" Now, they get watched closely and hopefully learn from the watching. ROFLMBO

Hopefully it's one of those two CB's. The one with the big black wire should come right off the battery positive terminal. If you have 12 volts inside the trailer when it's not plugged into shore power, that CB is good. It's probably the other one that is wired to the slide motor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote