Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
davidjsimons

Getting ready for Spring!

I kind of went on a buying spree this past week in preparation of my first season camping. Of course, I have picked up various items after reading the information on this forum. Now included are my new Maxxair II covers, a pair of X-Chocks, a pair of slinky supports for my sewage hoses and a clear elbow for the black tank drain so that I will know when I have it clean. I have come to appreciate the vast, ready and willing knowledge of the members on board this forum and am excited to get a start to this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
MIKEPATC

Sounds like me ... done all of those things last year (excellent choices). My two big updates I want do this year are a Fantastic fan in the living area and Horst Mircacle Probes for all the gray tanks & black tank. Fridge Fan Super Cooler Fans, LED Tail lights and bunch of little stuff. Just waiting for all this snow to go away and my retirement on 1 April .
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEPATC View Post
Sounds like me ... done all of those things last year (excellent choices). My two big updates I want do this year are a Fantastic fan in the living area and Horst Mircacle Probes for all the gray tanks & black tank. Fridge Fan Super Cooler Fans, LED Tail lights and bunch of little stuff. Just waiting for all this snow to go away and my retirement on 1 April .
Where can I get info on the Fridge fan super Cooler fans? Something to help keep the fridge cold in the summer heat would be great.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
ThePressureIsOn

I think that this is what MIKEPATC is talking about. We have this super cooler fridge fan and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...7fe5e1&vxp=mtr
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
I think that this is what MIKEPATC is talking about. We have this super cooler fridge fan and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...7fe5e1&vxp=mtr
I am not an electrician or rv tech, so I have no idea where the wire is that they show the fan being spliced to. After pushing the fan's wire through the drain tube, does it come out behind the axcess panel on the outside wall? And it says to splice it to any fused 12v line. Would there be a red line there as shown in the ebay listing? Thx

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

When you remove the refrigerator vent door from the side of the RV, you'll see, in the lower left corner, a black box. coming from that box is a red wire with an inline fuse holder. connect the fan to that red wire on the side of the fuse FARTHEST from the black box. That red wire is the power supply for the fan that is mounted on the upper side of the refrigerator cooling unit and is used to help move air through the chimney stack.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you remove the refrigerator vent door from the side of the RV, you'll see, in the lower left corner, a black box. coming from that box is a red wire with an inline fuse holder. connect the fan to that red wire on the side of the fuse FARTHEST from the black box. That red wire is the power supply for the fan that is mounted on the upper side of the refrigerator cooling unit and is used to help move air through the chimney stack.
Thanks.

I have another ? for you. Our unit has 4 roof vents, but it came from the dealership with only 1 Maxxair vent installed. It is on the rearmost vent, over the kids bunkroom. During travel, this room is closed up by the bedroom door, since the slide would do a number on the door if it wasn't. So the questions would be, is it normal to have had only one Maxxair installed, and would it be benificial to install more?

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
MIKEPATC

Every vent

I put them on every vent. First thing I do on every new trailer. That way I can crack the vents in the winter, summer, rain, shine, parked or traveling.... cover keeps the snow out in the winter.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
MIKEPATC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
I am not an electrician or rv tech, so I have no idea where the wire is that they show the fan being spliced to. After pushing the fan's wire through the drain tube, does it come out behind the axcess panel on the outside wall? And it says to splice it to any fused 12v line. Would there be a red line there as shown in the ebay listing? Thx
yup Thats the one
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Okay, I wired the fan to that wire, and when I turn the fridge on, nothing happens. I have double-checked all connections, and all seem well. Had to do some connector work since the wire was too short to reach, and the butt-end connector they had on the fan itself came off while I was installing it the first time.

I guess if I knew what I was doing, I would have tested the fan somehow first to make sure it was working before I did that final splice with the blue connector that came with the fan.

Would it hurt to cut that wire from the blue connector if I have to and just wrap it with electrical tape? I am pretty sure I got the right wire.

Or does the fan just not always run when the fridge is turned on?

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

When the reefer is turned on, there is always 12 VDC on that red wire. Check three things: 1) Check to make sure the fuse is good. 2) check to make sure the fan you installed has a good ground on the other wire. You must have power AND a ground for voltage to flow. 3) Check to make sure the refrigerator is working. If it's not turned on, the fan won't work as 12 volts isn't sent to the red wire.

I listed #3 last since I'm sure you've already turned on the fridge. But wanted to list it anyway just in case.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
aburns20

It's definitely spring here in Chesapeake, Va. High yesterday and today is in the low 70's. Another good indicator is that all of my vehicles are now covered in a green haze from the pollen falling...yuck!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
michael

Sometimes thoes blue splice type conectors dont get a good conection,
I try not to use them, 99% of the time i use heat shrink type conectors, if i dont or cant use heat shrink,
Then i will use electrical grease on the wire and rubber silicone around the conector to prevent corrosion.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
ThePressureIsOn

Cougarfamily, if you bought one of the fans from the link that I posted, the fan must be connected to the fins of the fridge, with the alligator clips, to work.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
Cougarfamily, if you bought one of the fans from the link that I posted, the fan must be connected to the fins of the fridge, with the alligator clips, to work.
That was done, but doesn't run. Either a defective fan, or one of the butt-connectoers or the splicer provided doesn't have a good connection. Next weekend, I will turn fridge on early to make sure it is working and cooling. Make sure the fridge isn't defective, since it has never been used. The light comes on at least when fridge was turned on. I also need to check the fuse in the box.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch