Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
SlowPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
Slowpoke,
Dont ya just love VA, almost 70 on Saturday and snow on Sunday...
I de-winterized the 5er on Saturday and was worried about freezing on Sunday... good god!

Oh and why does your TT look like the front is sitting on the ground?

I have a more than slightly unlevel backyard, so to level off the TT I have to drop it as far down as I have it...

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
SlowPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy View Post
I do not leave my slides out at all when I have it just sitting at home,and if I am out there with them out I pull them in right away when I am done.

You're right, as so will I, but my parents came back from their "Snowbirding" in FL...and hadn't had a chance to see the new TT. So we were conversing in the house, after they took a look, and it started snowing (about 5 hrs earlier than forecasted ) I knew it wouldn't be much, and it NEVER got below 36 here where I call home in VA. The temps were actually going up as it snowed here, but just north of here was going down as it snowed...

It was a "Virginia based calculated risk" as I didn't want to deal with snow, knowing what was happening with the weather, I just hated that I just washed it, and the truck, it was 72 on Saturday and now it was snowing...wet, mixed with sleet and rain...but snowing nevertheless.
It just sucked is all....I wasn't ever worried about the TT leaking, Dad would've corrected me regardless if I had made a wrong call...he's been RV'ing for 50 yrs....

But after I finish getting everything done tonight, and loading up for our trip out Friday for a week, I'llclose 'em up and they'll stay that way

Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
cabinfever

I understand what all are saying about leaving the slides in, especially in winter, and I plan on our slides being in at home unless we are in the TT. That being said, our local dealer leaves the slides out on the lot all the time. If it were so bad, why do they do it?

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
SlowPoke

Agreed Cabinfever...My slides were out at the dealer from June 2012 til I bought it in Feb. He told me straight up, as I requested the info. Of course he's a salesman, and he TOLD me that it was OK that they are designed for long term "usage". I agree with him, however I would like to preserve the newness as long as possible, as warranty onky covers but SO much time. With that being said, I will be taking more precaution in the future to preserve the components of my purchase AS LONG AS I CAN!

Though, in normal rain/light snow etc...I've been informed by numerous oldtimers of the RV persuasion that they have never had issues with their slides, under no circumstances, unless there was a problem with the slide to BEGIN with. My lil feaux pas with this recent turn of events will only bring out any major/minor issues to more light so I can get them repaired before it's too late

I gotta see the positive in things ...

To answer your question...(why I'm editing as I forgot to answer that after getting on my soap box ...lol)

The dealers leave them out to "show them" and not keep a battery hooked up to it all the time...Also, they don't want to wear out the slides while on display, with every customer asking "Can I see it open?" I see their point on the practice of leaving it out....

Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #25
mikell

I guess I'm missing whats wrong with the picture. looks like another spring day in Michigan to me.

As far as slides ours have been out for going on 4 years bring them in once a month weather permitting

I just went to the cafeteria for a juice and since I've been here the ground is covered and it's a lake effect WHITEOUT!! It's not funny anymore
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
iamrwnut

Except for a couple of months in the middle of the year, Michigan is mostly uninhabitable. Beautiful state, just not sure why I have spent the majority of my life in a state where I am stuck inside for 6-7 months out of the year. Oh yeah, I live here due the DW's family. Don't like the cold after spending 13 years in much warmer places while in the Navy. I just tell myself it's only three months until summer.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote