Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
crash

Microwave

Was out in the camper yesterday and the microwave just quiet working the light in the inside is really dime and nothing else on the micowave works any suggestions
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, check to make sure you have 110VAC coming into the RV and the other shore power appliances are working properly, Then in the cabinet, either behind or beside the microwave is a plug. Unplug the microwave, check the voltage at the plug, if it's 110VAC, the microwave is probably bad, if the voltage at the plug is low, you've got a wiring problem somewhere from there back to the circuit breakers (assuming the AC into the trailer is good).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
crash

Camper stays plugged in to the garage and yes everything else works.the trailer is only 7 months old so I think the wiring is good,I was in the camper making some popcorn for my friends son and it just went out
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Microwaves sometimes do that. Either take the oven out and return it to the dealer or drag the trailer down for service. Either way, it sounds like your microwave is bad (since you say the wiring "must be good") However, I've seen "brand new" wiring not be connected tightly to terminals and cause the problem you're experiencing. It might be a good idea to just double check that your "7 month old wiring" is, in fact connected securely to the plug and to the circuit breaker. (or let the dealer do it)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

First I would do a voltage check on the ac power supplying the trailer with a voltage meter. What size breaker are you running your trailer on? If you do not have sufficient amperage going in you will find that things will not function correctly. MW's draw a lot of power and if other things were running it could malfunction. If all of that checks out and it is not difficult to remove I would take the MW out and plug into a different power source to test it before doing anything else. If it still doesn't work you know it is the MW itself and you can contact the dealer and make a swap. If it does work properly disassemble the outlet and ensure it is wired properly and last but not least check the breaker for the same. A loose wire can make things act crazy.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Ditto to fla-gypsy

I had an open neutral and it blew my micro last year at a resort in AZ. I did exactly as stated: removed it, found the plug to be producing, tried several other sources for micro power...nada. Resort replaced it. Generally these are very inexpensive and fragile units. ( nice way of saying CHEAP! )
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
crash

Yeh I just talked to the dealer and I am pulling the microwave out and taking it to them to look at instead of dragging that thing 20 miles for just the microwave,Haydens rv in richmond are great people to deal with small local rv dealer,thats why this is our 3rd rv from them