Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #21
Army Paladin

I just ran across the same or very similar project on my 29RLI. The 4400# axles seem to be popular on boat trailers and some rvs. I made the mistake of measuring the top backing bolts and not the bottom ones. So when I order complete brake backings they would not fit. The backing bolt pattern on the 4400s it the only thing different from the 3500# backings. I ended up swapping all of the new parts to the old backing and all is good to go.
As far as the bearings, I was able to find them local but they were china made. I will get a new set that is US made and get that fixed soon.
I spent a week trying to get someone to tell me the difference in these parts. No one could even when I called dextor. Must be new techs that don’t know some of the parts that are recently went out if use.
It all worked out for me since I just got back yesterday from a trip to Yellowstone from Kansas.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #22
Todd 423

This may be overkill if you inspect your brakes regularly:but being a retired electrician I hate loose connections and shorted wires. I always butt splice connections with ratchet style crimpers and heat shrink everything exposed to the elements.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #23
SoCalAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd 423 View Post
This may be overkill if you inspect your brakes regularly:but being a retired electrician I hate loose connections and shorted wires. I always butt splice connections with ratchet style crimpers and heat shrink everything exposed to the elements.
Yes, I always use Marine Heat Shrink Butt Splices....they have glue in them and the glue is activated when heated. Since I have a boat, I always have them around and they are ALL marine with glue......ring, butt, spade, etc.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #24
sfem192

I also have the #4400 lbs axle. The only difference in the #3500 lbs axle is the bolt pattern on the backer plate. The parts are the same for the 10 inch 2 1/4 brake on both axles. The outer bearings and races are different in the kits but the brake shoes, magnets, springs, etc are the same for the #3500 or#4400 lbs axles. I ordered the #3500 lbs kits with the correct bearings and just took all the parts off of the new backing plate and put the parts onto the old backing plates. Ordered everything from Trailer Parts Outlet after contacting their customer service dept to get the correct bearings and at a very good price. When I ordered them about a month ago they had the #4400 lbs listed but did not see it until I had already received my order. and discovered the backing plates were different.
sfem192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #25
Army Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
There are 10"x2 1/4" 4400# brake assemblies by Dexter. However the 4400# models have a different mounting hole pattern than mine. The Dexter model that has my bolt pattern (2 7/8" x 2 7/8" square) is for a 3500# axle.

Is this the brake assemblies you used? If so, do you know model # of what was used and also what machining was needed on the drum?

Did/Are you considering axle replacement to avoid future parts issues?

Thanks!
I actually found these brake backing at NAPA.
They were the 3500# 10 x 2 1/4 just like the 4400s. I had about half wear on the old pads and since our trip was going into the mountains, I decided to change the brakes and I also installed new bearings. Yes, these were the 3500# backings and did NOT fit the 4400# axle. This caused me to strip all the pads, spings and magnets and put those on my original backing. Hope this part helped.
The bearings I could also get from NAPA but found the at a local trailer supple. No biggie there.
The drums were still in good shape so I did not change them. I actually did not even try to look for drums so I am not sure what I will tun into there.

Until seeing all of this discussion, I didn’t think about swapping axles but not out of the question if there are no replacement parts. I may send Keystone a note and see what they have to say about the problem of parts being obsolete as well.
The only thing I would see as a problem is the frame. These things are not built to much of a standard from what I have seen and from so much discussion of everything from tip to tail. So making the suspension above the frame standard, I would wonder if the frame up would hold together. Lol.
Seriously, just keep in mind that if you plan axles, you will need to change/modify the hangers too. The next size axles assembly will need to have the proper spring size as well. And they will be a little longer the the current springs.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Old 10-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #26
SoCalAngler

According to Dexter, the 3500# axles, and its brake components, are not the same as the T44 (4400#) axle. The similarity is more than just the bolt pattern. Ex. The T44 axle is a 4400# axle with a 4400# brake assembly with a 3500# mounting pattern. The T44 brake assembly is rated at 4400#. The 3500# components are rated at 3500#, even though they may fit the 4400# brake assembly.

BTW....custom axles are available to order. They will build to your exact specs. New hangers are not needed. They are built to fit existing hangers.
NOTE: The two main dimensions needed for axle ordering are spring centers and backing plate to backing plate. Plus axle weight rating and wheel lug dimensions.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #27
Army Paladin

That is interesting. And please don’t take this as a smart comment. But I would like to see where you are getting this info. I did not know there would be anything different on a 10 x 2 1/4 brake shoe or magnets. I went on a Redneck Trailer Supply company page and these were listed as 3500/4400 brake backings. Dexter now owns Redneck.
Thanks for your info.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Old 10-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #28
SoCalAngler

Brian, the info as not being the same came directly from Dexter technical support by phone and etrailer customer service by email.

See here:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-216461.html