Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2022, 06:13 AM   #1
bobnelms

Furniture Polish Instead of Wax for Exterior?

I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar that sits out in the sun most of the year, so there's considerable oxidation that builds up. I have had it detailed, cleaned, waxed, etc a few times but it never seems to last too long.

Last year, my wife got out there with Orange Glow Furniture polish to clean some spots off the exterior. When I saw the results, it blew my mind. It instantly got rid of the oxidation and gave it a brilliant, clean shine that lasted months. In reading the bottle, it supposedly CLEANS as well as REMOVES wax and then puts down a coat of oil - just like it would on indoor furniture.

I went ahead and cleaned the whole RV with this product while at a Florida campground last year. More than one person came up to me and asked "what in the world are you using- that looks spectacular!"

So here's my question -- have any of you done anything like this? Is it ill advised for some reason?

Thanks
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:20 AM   #2
bsmith0404

The reason the wax didn’t last long is that wax doesn’t last long. Wax only last about 4 months before the sun burns it off, can be more or less depending on exposure. It’s a sacrificial layer designed to protect the surface below from the elements. I didn’t look up information on the furniture polish so I don’t know the particulars on it, but I would be very cautious if I thought about using it. Waxes and polishes have chemicals which help them bond to a particular surface they are intended to be used in. Some of those may be harmful to some materials. The effects may not be apparent for years. Not saying it’s bad for your trailer, but it MIGHT be.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Furniture polish makes great furniture polish. I wouldn't use a product that leaves an oil film on the surface. Oil on wood is OK to rehydrate the wood but on a fiberglass surface will attract dirt and possibly act as a magnifying glass for uv light to damage the surface. Yes the oil will shine in the light but it could be doing more harm than good.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #4
Brentw

I don't know if you can draw any parallels here, but my helmut visors and motorcycle windshields got treated with pledge for many years, cleaned and filled in minor scratches. Rain beads off like nothing else. If I had nothing else, plastic body panels got wiped down as well.
No yellowing or adverse reactions, I don't see the harm.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
travelin texans

Furniture polish was recommended by the factory techs doing warranty work on my last rv to be used to clean & maintain all the rubber seals & gaskets all throughout the rv.
We camped next to a couple that he was always polishing & wiping on his rv that was a weird yellow color. Come to find out someone had recommended using Mop n Glo floor polish on the rv, in about month he said it started to yellow & he was trying to get the floor polish off, it wasn't working.
Be cautious of what you hear might be good!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
gearhead

Back in the 1980’s we had a Class C motor home. A guy I worked with recommended using Future Floor wax on the front of the cab over. I did. I don’t recall any adverse effects but I’ve slept a few thousand times since then.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #7
dutchmensport

I used spray Pledge furniture polish on a car once before I traded it in at a dealership for a new car. The car looked spectacular. It looked good enough I got top dollar for the trade.

I've used Pledge furniture polish on my aluminum sided travel trailers too. It worked fabulous!

WD-40 also just melts road tar and bugs off. Spray it on, wipe with a paper towel, and all that black and goo wipe right off.

I use WD-40 on my current Montana to remove road tar, and on my vehicles. Just a few days ago, I used WD-40 to clean under the hood of my truck. It removed years of dirt and gunk. Spray on, simply wipe off with a paper towel. Amazing. AND it leaves a shine too!
Old 09-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
travelin texans

The difference between WD40 & Pledge is WD40 attracts & collects dust & dirt like a magnet, Pledge supposedly repels dust & dust doesn't adhere to it.
Either way unless I've got bugs or tar to remove I wouldn't use WD40 on the exterior of anything. Other than that I have no use for WD40 except on rusty bolts.
Only use Pledge on the seals & gaskets around the rv & on the wood furniture.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote