Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
Northwest

On the road again

Well I'm on the road again and I hope it goes good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716221342_HDR~2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	40776  
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It may be the angle of the photograph, but it appears that your trailer may be "slightly nose high"...

Coming back from North Carolina this past weekend, I noticed that an ever increasing number of rigs look to be "nose high". It may be that more owners are "compensating by increasing tension on their WD bars", or it may be that as more and more people tow with smaller tow vehicles, they are "adjusting the hitch to achieve the "front axle/front fender measurements" and that's putting increased tension/lift on the receiver/hitch coupling....

Anyway, park your rig on a "known flat and level surface" (like a concrete parking lot) and measure the "J-wrap molding" at the front and at the rear of your trailer to see if it's "really nose high" or if it's just the way the picture looks....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #3
Northwest

Thanks I'll do that. I did think it looks nose high to in the picture
Old 07-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know if it's always been nose high but remember that the shank should be adjustable as well. It could be something as simple as lowering the ball mount by a hole.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The reason I started noticing "nose high trailers" recently is because more and more travel trailers "appear to be swaying while towing"... Some only sway slightly, some are "all over the road at 70MPH"....

While driving this past weekend, I started trying to put together some similarities that might explain what I was seeing. And, in a "very unscientific observation" I came to the conclusion that trailers which were hitched "nose high" seemed to sway more than those that were level or looked to be nose slightly low.... To be clear, I've always known that "nose high towing tends to induce sway", so it's not a "mind altering relevation" just a confirmation of what I've always known, but apparently have been seeing more frequently in rigs that I see on the interstate.

Of course, this "nose high/nose low" is only one of many factors that create or prevent sway, but this past weekend, when I came up behind a trailer that was swaying more than usual, almost invariably, it was "nose high" ....

Could be a factor, could be an old man's eyes playing tricks.... but.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You're right John. We've been traveling around TX the last several days and it is definitely more prevalent than it used to be. We saw them nose high, nose low, no wdh, you name it. More and more being pulled by SUVs - even the smaller SUVs, and the trailers could be anything from a single axle to 30+'. One passed us that couldn't stay in either lane doing about 75 and I passed one that was doing maybe 45 (in a 75) trying to fight the constant sway I was seeing. He was driving an SUV. I'm thinking some folks are buying RVs and letting the dealer install the hitch and it's installed improperly causing some of this.

Still a lot of new RVrs coming out. DW talked to 2 that pulled in yesterday evening on their first RV outing in their new trailers - excited to "get the hang of it".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote