Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #1
HouseMouse

New to US Laredo

Previous 5th Wheel was a Salem. We sold it off and bought a Used 2019 Laredo 325RL, which is Awesome. F350 DRW will pull it and has without issue from the Dealer. Just wanted to do a small intro.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Previous 5th Wheel was a Salem. We sold it off and bought a Used 2019 Laredo 325RL, which is Awesome. F350 DRW will pull it and has without issue from the Dealer. Just wanted to do a small intro.
Welcome. One thing with a 2019 model is that the tires may have been manufactured in 2018. ST tires age out at 4 years and while they may look good, they are likely not able to support as much weight as when new. Check the date code. Good luck with your camping! Oh yeah, standard recommendation is to put together a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same with your tow vehicle. This function is under UserCP top/left of every page and save it. If you have questions, will allow answers to have more context. If you are from Floresville, we are practically neighbors.... we are up near Medina Lake.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome. One thing with a 2019 model is that the tires may have been manufactured in 2018. ST tires age out at 4 years and while they may look good, they are likely not able to support as much weight as when new. Check the date code. Good luck with your camping! Oh yeah, standard recommendation is to put together a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same with your tow vehicle. This function is under UserCP top/left of every page and save it. If you have questions, will allow answers to have more context. If you are from Floresville, we are practically neighbors.... we are up near Medina Lake.
i have tried to upload a signature.... But, no luck for some reason or another. (?) Or is it now attached? Headed to Canyon Lake in September. Remember swimming at Medina Lake Rec area while on AD at the MRW facility now closed. Date Code on tires.... 1118.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
i have tried to upload a signature.... But, no luck for some reason or another. (?) Or is it now attached? Headed to Canyon Lake in September. Remember swimming at Medina Lake Rec area while on AD at the MRW facility now closed. Date Code on tires.... 1118.
Signature shows up fine now. Keep in mind that some of the stuff on the forum doesn't appear the same if you are viewing with a phone. I only look at the forum using a Windoze laptop or PC. Your tires will need attention in the near future. 11th week of 2018 manufacture date. What brand are they? Some have better reputations than others. OH yeah, Medina Lake is really puny right now... droughts affect Medina more than Canyon due less was source plus the farmers take quite a bit for irrigation. Good luck on your camping!
Old 06-13-2022, 09:54 AM   #5
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your new to you Laredo.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
HouseMouse

Quote:
Signature shows up fine now. Keep in mind that some of the stuff on the forum doesn't appear the same if you are viewing with a phone. I only look at the forum using a Windoze laptop or PC. Your tires will need attention in the near future. 11th week of 2018 manufacture date. What brand are they? Some have better reputations than others. OH yeah, Medina Lake is really puny right now... droughts affect Medina more than Canyon due less was source plus the farmers take quite a bit for irrigation. Good luck on your camping!
Tire brand is Goodride ST-100. Size...ST235/80R16. Load range E. Plenty of tread left and no Visible signs of stress or cracks on sidewalls or between the tread. Plans in works to replace this winter. Your opinion is valued.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you trailer. IMO I'd pull the tires off now.

It's a 3? year old trailer with an unknown history on cheap "may pop" tires. GoodRides are not Good Years. The tread will mean nothing as RV tires will age out vs wear out - the cheaper ones much sooner.

Your trailer has a gvw of 13000lbs. The LRE tires on there will support 13680lbs. (4 x 3420). IMO that's not much of a cushion with even a reputable tire. Unfortunately (this is from memory) I don't think your wheels will support the added pressure for LRF/LRG tires. That said it would be all the more important to replace those tires before you get stuck with a multi thousand dollar repair bill as I did. Something to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #8
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you trailer. IMO I'd pull the tires off now.

It's a 3? year old trailer with an unknown history on cheap "may pop" tires. GoodRides are not Good Years. The tread will mean nothing as RV tires will age out vs wear out - the cheaper ones much sooner.

Your trailer has a gvw of 13000lbs. The LRE tires on there will support 13680lbs. (4 x 3420). IMO that's not much of a cushion with even a reputable tire. Unfortunately (this is from memory) I don't think your wheels will support the added pressure for LRF/LRG tires. That said it would be all the more important to replace those tires before you get stuck with a multi thousand dollar repair bill as I did. Something to think about.
Thanks....., What brand tire would you recommend? Need to start shopping. And, who sells them? Found Goodyear ST 235/85R16 which has a higher load rating.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012162

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

A couple of good options are linked above. Others may chime in with their thoughts. As far as dealers you would have to look for your area, or as you saw with the Carlisles, you can order them from Walmart. These examples are for your OE load range E. If your wheel is rated for a higher pressure/weight (look on the back of the wheel) the options change.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I have 15" rims on my old Cougar and options for tires are a bit different. To determine if your rims will be OK with higher pressure (LRF or LRG) you have to look at the back of a rim where the Max PSI will be stamped. The tires that came on my old camper were LRD and I switched to LRE and never had an issue. I have never heard of anyone have their wheels explode if they exceeded the rating by one step. Most of the 16" crowd go with Sailun, Carlisle Radial HD or Goodyear Endurance. I personally use Carlisle Radial HD and have had great luck.

ST Tires always look to have lots of tread and no cracking but it is established they loose some of their load capability each year on a camper. I would lose the "Good Ride" tires asap and install a premium brand (there may be others I didn't mention) and a good TPMS system. One tire blow out and you WILL cause $$$$$ damage. There are current threads on TPMS on the site you can search on. I bought an off brand TPMS (Guta) and it works fine but bought when the pandemic put the better known brand out of stock. Good luck. Oh, yeah, last free advice; search on EMS. Your electronics are worth keeping alive and a surge protector won't get the job done. Many Texas campgrounds have lousy electrical distro systems and pedestals. A good EMS is pricey but WILL save your bacon if you plug into the wrong campground pedestal.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #11
HouseMouse

Quote:
I have 15" rims on my old Cougar and options for tires are a bit different. To determine if your rims will be OK with higher pressure (LRF or LRG) you have to look at the back of a rim where the Max PSI will be stamped. The tires that came on my old camper were LRD and I switched to LRE and never had an issue. I have never heard of anyone have their wheels explode if they exceeded the rating by one step. Most of the 16" crowd go with Sailun, Carlisle Radial HD or Goodyear Endurance. I personally use Carlisle Radial HD and have had great luck.

ST Tires always look to have lots of tread and no cracking but it is established they loose some of their load capability each year on a camper. I would lose the "Good Ride" tires asap and install a premium brand (there may be others I didn't mention) and a good TPMS system. One tire blow out and you WILL cause $$$$$ damage. There are current threads on TPMS on the site you can

search on. I bought an off brand TPMS (Guta) and it works fine but bought when the pandemic put the better known brand out of stock. Good luck. Oh, yeah, last free advice; search on EMS. Your electronics are worth keeping alive and a surge protector won't get the job done. Many Texas campgrounds have lousy electrical distro systems and pedestals. A good EMS is pricey but WILL save your bacon if you plug into the wrong campground pedestal.
Thank You for the information.... Will look at the back of my rims in the morning. Carlisle and Goodyear both offer ST235/80R16 and a ST235/85R16 tire respectively. The 80 has a load rating of 3417Lbs-ish and the 85 ha a load rating of 3638Lbs-ish. Would going straight to the 85 instead of the 80 as I have now create any problems? Will the back of the rim reflect any of this weight rating stuff?

We gave away most of our camper stuff when we sold our old Salem. Currently we are aquiring all new items to include a new Surge Protector.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

You may need to pull a wheel to see. I've found the rating on the back of a spoke but many come on the back next to the hub. Could show a rating in max psi, max weight or both. PSI and weight will both correlate back to particular size/load range for that tire.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

LRE = 80 PSI. LRD = 65 PSI, etc. I am not sure if the change in aspect ratio from 80 to 85 makes much difference but a taller tire may not be a great idea if it rubs on anything. Just can't answer. I would stay with the actual size recommended but going up one load range very likely won't hurt a bit. I personally would not crawl under a camper to look at the inside of a rim since I have gone up one load range with most all the campers I have owned and not one of the rims blew up. May next time it will....
Old 06-14-2022, 02:35 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
LRE = 80 PSI. LRD = 65 PSI, etc. I am not sure if the change in aspect ratio from 80 to 85 makes much difference but a taller tire may not be a great idea if it rubs on anything. Just can't answer. I would stay with the actual size recommended but going up one load range very likely won't hurt a bit. I personally would not crawl under a camper to look at the inside of a rim since I have gone up one load range with most all the campers I have owned and not one of the rims blew up. May next time it will....
It may seem like "only 15 psi " but it's a 23% increase. I think that warrants a look see or further investigation. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:38 AM   #15
spicercars

Welcome from Northern MN.

Tags
laredo