Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #1
Popegitmo

RV Newbie needing help with tank flush

I am very new to this and all of the terms are overwhelming. I drained my black tank today for the first time and tried to use the flush but the tank does not allow water from the hose to go in. It just builds up pressure. I have the drain valve open, but the warning says to have the full way termination valve open. I have seen several people say that this is the drain valve. If that is the case why can’t I flush my black tank? 2017 Crusader Lite 30BH.
Popegitmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Yes it is the drain valve. Why is it not working? Could be it's clogged with debris or it could be the anti-siphon valve or it could be the water line is pinched off or kinked.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Here is a link to your trailer;

I suspect the anti siphon valve. Had the same thing happen to me on one several years back, just built up pressure and would blow back water. Replaced the valve under the bathroom sink.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Edit: You do not say what you're tow vehicle is but a perfect example of how owners of 1/2 ton trucks get into problems is this salesman talking at about the 30 second mark. A salesman but knows nothing about trailers or trucks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
LHaven

It's not uncommon for the anti-siphon valve on the flush line to be installed backwards.
That produces exactly this symptom.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Scary part is that whatever your problem is (most likely anti siphon as mentioned). How long has it been since the black tank was actually flushed well? You may have some build up to get rid of.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Edit: You do not say what you're tow vehicle is but a perfect example of how owners of 1/2 ton trucks get into problems is this salesman talking at about the 30 second mark. A salesman but knows nothing about trailers or trucks.
The dealership I used to work at sold those at one time. I had to educate all the salesman there that it was too heavy for a half ton. That one is actually really light compared to Prime Times other “half ton towables”. Most of their models were around 1,500 brochure pin weight.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The dealership I used to work at sold those at one time. I had to educate all the salesman there that it was too heavy for a half ton. That one is actually really light compared to Prime Times other “half ton towables”. Most of their models were around 1,500 brochure pin weight.
Maybe my nephew bought from that dealer....lol.

Here's his Crusader mated up to his F150. The dealer told him 'no problem, you have the max tow package!' Thankfully he has since moved up to a 3/4 ton Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F150-5ver.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	39916  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Actually I had the same problem with our new trailer in 2020. I brought the thing back 2 times and in the months we used the trailer I got into a routine of:

1. empty the black tank
2. fill it 1/3+ with water
3. drive to next campground
4. empty.

On our last stop I bought one of those "back flush" devices to clean out as good as possible.

In our case, I believe, the pex plumbing to the flush was crimped and not accessible without dropping the tank....It became the dealers problem as I just traded it in.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popegitmo View Post
...........but the warning says to have the full way termination valve open. I have seen several people say that this is the drain valve. If that is the case why can’t I flush my black tank? 2017 Crusader Lite 30BH.
Your 2017 Crusader Lite 30BH fifth wheel trailer reportedly has 2 gray tanks https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...n-30bh-tr28832 and each should have their own flush and drain valve, one for each. Is that what you have? Suggest checking the screen for pluggage where the flush hose is connected. If the screen is not plugged and still will not pass water then remove it and verify the line is clear before more more extensive surgery.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Your 2017 Crusader Lite 30BH fifth wheel trailer reportedly has 2 gray tanks https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...n-30bh-tr28832 and each should have their own flush and drain valve, one for each. Is that what you have? Suggest checking the screen for pluggage where the flush hose is connected. If the screen is not plugged and still will not pass water then remove it and verify the line is clear before more more extensive surgery.
Just to be clear, the Grey tanks WILL NOT have a flush line in them, only the black tank. Typically you'll have 1 - 3" drain connection for the black tank & at least 1 of the Grey tanks with valve handles for each in the same location, if the kitchen & bath are significantly separated in the rv the manufacturer may have played hide n seek with the 2nd Grey valve which requires crawling around underneath to locate.
Apparently the previous owner never used the black tank flush line & its installed backwards, the line is kinked somewhere or it's plugged up with TP inside the tank. From your description I'd guess the anti siphon valve is backwards. Personally I'd remove that valve, it's a known problem leaking if it's the plastic one, then replace it with 2 - 90 degree bends eliminating the valve & add the water hose back Flo preventer at the flush connection.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #11
notanlines

"Your 2017 Crusader Lite 30BH fifth wheel trailer reportedly has 2 gray tanks and each should have their own flush and drain valve, one for each."
As Danny mentioned this is probably not true. Only higher end RV's have a grey tank flush, they are not very common.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:05 PM   #12
Camp CA

Correction......2 "black" tanks with separate flush connections and drain valves.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:53 AM   #13
Popegitmo

I do have two black tanks. And two black handles. Only saw one flush valve. Previous owners never used black tank.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
I do have two black tanks. And two black handles. Only saw one flush valve. Previous owners never used black tank.
Yup. Two toilets, widely spaced, so two tanks. Why they would have plumbed only one for flush beats me. Previous owners skipped using second bathroom entirely? Mysteries cascade!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #15
Popegitmo

Previous owners did not use either bathroom is what they said. I hope they were honest about it, lol
Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Previous owners did not use either bathroom is what they said. I hope they were honest about it, lol
On some trailers (certainly not all) the front/main toilet is plumbed to the black tank and that's all that goes into that tank. The sink/shower are plumbed to the gray tank. That black tank only has water from the toilet, so a flush system helps add water and rinse the tank...

That said, on the rear toilet black tank, typically the sink will also dump into that black tank, so there is "increased water" in the tank. Some manufacturers will cut costs by not installing a flush system, claiming that the sink will provide enough additional water to keep the tank "flushable without a flush system"...

What's in your trailer is anybody's best guess, but if you can't find a flush system, then I'd suspect that only the front tank has a flush system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Will wonders never cease!
A 6-7 year old nice rv that the PO never used the toilets?
I can't understand the reasoning behind this madness!
Or those that would rather save toilet paper in a bucket next to the toilet rather flush it as it was intended to be.
FYI, if you use septic safe, no more than 2 ply toilet paper with a bowl full of water you likely never have an issue using the toilet.
Also FYI, the sensors for tank levels won't give you any accurate information of how much is in the tanks other lighting the pretty red lights on the panel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I don't believe your trailer has a 2nd black tank flush. As John mentioned they are going to consider the sink with the toilet in the back as the "flush" water.

If you watch the video the sales guy points both drains, all the docking points etc. Everything is there above the front drain with the main bathroom including the black tank flush. The rear bath black tank drain is pointed out and if you watch the guy as he works around the trailer you won't see anything that looks like it might be, or contain, a black tank flush port. And as a side note; why in the world would anyone buy a floorplan with TWO toilets but not use them??? Hmmmm.....me thinks I smell something.

I also failed to clarify in post #3 that my anti siphon valve was backward. Symptoms sound exactly like yours.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:34 AM   #19
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Here's his Crusader mated up to his F150. The dealer told him 'no problem, you have the max tow package!' Thankfully he has since moved up to a 3/4 ton Ram.
yea its amazing what a dealer will tell you just to make a sale. Mine didnt look at my actual truck sticker. Just assumed it was "all good, its a truck, and this is the Lite version trailer"

Tags
newbie, tank