Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2022, 07:41 AM   #1
randl

Help with my norcold 2118 refrigerator

Help my norcold 2118 refrigerator in my 2017 Fuzion has went out and 2 bags of ice melted in freezer now nothing works. No lights no powerr. The controls don't work and the display panel doesn't light up eathe. What do I do or how do i fix it? Please help
randl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First thing is to check for 12VDC at the control board. After that you can check the fuse on the control board.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
randl

Where are they located? Thank you for replying
Old 05-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Take the lower access panel off on the exterior of the trailer. There will be a plastic “block” with 12V wires going to it, and then going to the fridge. Most likely White and White with a colored tracer. The tracer is 12V positive.

If you have voltage on each side, then we need to look for an “overheat” device that is a common failure. Can you post an overall pic of the back of the fridge?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by randl View Post
Help my norcold 2118 refrigerator in my 2017 Fuzion has went out and 2 bags of ice melted in freezer now nothing works. No lights no powerr. The controls don't work and the display panel doesn't light up eathe. What do I do or how do i fix it? Please help
Has everything dried out? Sounds like water ran down into your control panel. Possibly shorted out the control panel. I’ve seen things start working again when everything dries out. As mentioned, that may also have blown fuses. I’d be checking the fuses, but also making sure all the moisture is out. If things are still wet, shorting out and blowing fuses, changing the fuse will just blow another fuse.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:15 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
The symptoms you describe above, leads me to believe that the 5A glass fuse in the "black box" that is located on the back of the refrigerator has blown. Chuckster57 has described where it is located. You can open the cover and look inside and see if that 5A glass fuse is good or blown.....I'm betting it has blown. That fuse provides power for the three fans on the rear of the fridge, the inside lights in the fridge, and also power to the control display on the front of the fridge.

If that fuse is blown, you can try replacing it and see if it works. Many times, when that fuse blows, the problem lies in one of more of the three fans on the back of the fridge. There are two fans up towards the top, in the back of the fridge, and one smaller fan down towards the bottom of the fridge...in the back.

That 5A fuse is running very close to the capacity of the fuse. NORCOLD has stated that it is OK to replace that 5A fuse with a 7 1/2 amp fuse.

So my suggestions.....
1. Replace the 5A fuse and try it again. If it works, try to see if any of the three fans are not running....or appear to be running slower than they should be......OR making any kind of unusual noises, like a bearing is dry or binding. Replace any fan that does not appear to be "right".

2. If replacing the 5A fuse causes the fridge to run again, but then blows a second time...AND...you cannot see any issues with the fans, try putting a 7 amp fuse in....or up to a 7 1/2 amp fuse. DO NOT go larger than 7 1/2, as that might compromise the wiring back there.

2A. If the 5A fuse blows immediately when you put it in, that will likely be something a bit involved.....indication a direct short somewhere in the circuitry. If could be the control board, it could be a pinched wire, it could be one of the motors....but it will certainly be more involved troubleshooting it.....unless you see a spark come from where the problem area is...(sometimes a spark can be useful for finding electrical issues )

3. If the 5A fuse blows immediately DO NOT TRY THE 7 OR 7 1/2 AMP FUSE. IT'S TIME FOR FINDING THE ISSUE BEFORE PROCEEDING.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
randl

First off let me say thank you for helping. I have checked the fuses in the black box and a pear to be ok. But still nothing. Would it be possible to look ok but be bad? How do i get to the front control panel to check and see if it's bad?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #8
randl

Let me also ask if my battery is bad would that cause it not to work?
Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
First off let me say thank you for helping. I have checked the fuses in the black box and a pear to be ok. But still nothing. Would it be possible to look ok but be bad? How do i get to the front control panel to check and see if it's bad?
Quote:
Let me also ask if my battery is bad would that cause it not to work?
Have you verified 12VDC at the fridge connections? You do need around 11.8 volts minimum for the fridge to turn on.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #10
randl

No I haven't. But I will
Old 05-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
randl

Would that be the same even tho I'm plugged into shorepower?
Old 05-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Would that be the same even tho I'm plugged into shorepower?
If your plugged into shore power, and the converter is working you should see 13+ volts, but yes you need the minimum voltage from some source.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:11 AM   #13
raptor0818

Good morning randl, had the same problem this week, refrig ran for almost a day and then quit. After trouble shooting, found 5 amp fuse blown, replaced and ran for a few hours. Replaced fuse a few times, each run time got shorter. Called Norcold and tech said it's either a fan or a flaper/flapper, not sure where the flapers are, would imagine flaper opens and close an opening at frig and freezer. What I'm saying is it could be the 5 amp fuse. Good luck
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote