Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfarland View Post
We have experienced the same problems. With us it is the 50 amp shoreline connection with the receptacle. It is very difficult to get that twist lock connector to work. If it is not in there just right there is 240 volts across the power inverter which quickly produces a puff of smoke and it is end of the road. We ended up installing an EMS system between the shoreline connection and the power inverter so it will not even start up if it is not plugged in correctly. So far we haven't had to replace another power inverter, but we still struggle with that connection. We never did replace the receptacle, maybe that is the original problem...
You might consider having the power cord twist lock plug and receptacle, as they are designed to only connect correctly!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #42
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhess View Post
We have a 2020 Keystone Montana legacy.
The first yr we had electrical problems.

Inverter and converter has been replaced. Keystone paid the repair man..
2021 same problems..
Now 2022 same problem estimate to fix is $2200.00
Keystone says it out of warranty ...even though the problem was never fix with our electrical
Insurance Company denied our claim.
Stating it's a manufacturer issue
My question is has anyone had the same problems if so how or whom did you contact to get Keystone or the
Insurance Company to help us with what their calling a manufacturer issue.
Should we file a complaint with someone
Will the manufacturer replace our fifth wheel and issue us a new one. I just do not know what to do.
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
MY husband uses a cpap machine at night.
When the power stops working quess what so does his cpap... he could die.
We live in ours year round ...we also have a home in VA.
Send me a PM if you can help me in any way. Thank you, Vera
I installed a 12 VDC power port next the USB charging port at the back of nightstand and next to pillow for my CPAP. Pulled out the USB to access the 12 V wires for the power port. Was able to find a 12 VDC plug and cord with fitting for the CPAP on Amazon. So running on the 12 VDC, if the 120 VAC power goes out, my CPAP keeps running off of the battery, so interruption or gasping for breath.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #43
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
I installed a 12 VDC power port next the USB charging port at the back of nightstand and next to pillow for my CPAP. Pulled out the USB to access the 12 V wires for the power port. Was able to find a 12 VDC plug and cord with fitting for the CPAP on Amazon. So running on the 12 VDC, if the 120 VAC power goes out, my CPAP keeps running off of the battery, so interruption or gasping for breath.
I think you posted this on the wrong thread. This thread pertains to the main power coming into the trailer.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:28 PM   #44
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I think you posted this on the wrong thread. This thread pertains to the main power coming into the trailer.
I was addressing a thread-in-a-thread because Poster, Vhess, stated: "MY husband uses a cpap machine at night.
Send me a PM if you can help me in any way. Thank you, Vera"

I was trying to help with an expressed concern that is a consequence of the initial problem.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #45
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
I was addressing a thread-in-a-thread because Poster, Vhess, stated: "MY husband uses a cpap machine at night.
Send me a PM if you can help me in any way. Thank you, Vera"

I was trying to help with an expressed concern that is a consequence of the initial problem.
You posted an excellent answer to the lady's question. Not sure why Bob got rankled. She is a new member and can be excused for hijacking a thread. Also, keep in mind that the different CPAP/BIPAP machines have different power standards. I don't think some can be plugged into 12V directly but then again, my memory is poor as I am get old or perhaps just dumber. I use a BIPAP machine and wake up immediately if the power goes out. I then go out to my WEN generator, fire it up, hit the transfer switches and put my mask back on and go back to sleep... this is in my home. Never had it happen when camping go good suggestion... just check to see if a particular CPAP will work directly off a 12V outlet.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #46
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You posted an excellent answer to the lady's question. Not sure why Bob got rankled. She is a new member and can be excused for hijacking a thread. Also, keep in mind that the different CPAP/BIPAP machines have different power standards. I don't think some can be plugged into 12V directly but then again, my memory is poor as I am get old or perhaps just dumber. I use a BIPAP machine and wake up immediately if the power goes out. I then go out to my WEN generator, fire it up, hit the transfer switches and put my mask back on and go back to sleep... this is in my home. Never had it happen when camping go good suggestion... just check to see if a particular CPAP will work directly off a 12V outlet.
Thanks George and good suggestion on checking power requirements. My CPAP has a 120 VAC to 12 VDC adapter right in the plug/power cord so I knew I was good with the 12 V power port. It's really bad when we get old and forgetful, now I even forget how to breathe when sleeping - uh what were we talking about...
Old 04-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #47
ScottW714

Thanks

I like the OP had blown 2 converters. Before I installed the 3rd I took to the internets.

After reading this thread I checked several things before installing the third. Namely making sure all my power connections were solid. Everything worked after I installed the 3rd.

The next day I decided to replace the female plug my camper plugs into. The camper is in Galveston and the plug is old and I wanted to make that it wasn't corroding inside. Turned off the breaker, replaced the 30amp outlet, threw the breaker back on and tested voltage. 195 volts. My first thought was what did I do. Went to neighbor 195 volts. Walked around the campground 195 on my row. By this time I'm thinking my battery on the meter is low. Anyways went over several rows. 118.ok meter is good so WTF. A neighbor I never met just happened to be outside and said his battery just died. We got to talking and I checked his converter nothing. He had 50amp.195 on one leg and 50 on the other.

Long story short. The transformer for my area of the campground had a bad neutral. Power company was out in about 30 mins and spent a couple hours fixing it. The problem as far as I can guess is the voltage was only spiking occasionally because I checked it before each install of the converter. It took several days before the second one blew.

Without some of the helpful comments here I think I would blown at least one more converter.. So thank you.

Lesson learned. Just because you never had any issues with you electric service doesn't mean you can assume its not bad. The worse thing is the first time it blew, my surge protector had disconnected. When I hit the rest button. Pop went the capacitor. I assumed it was old and took it off the line before the first replacement.
ScottW714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:25 PM   #48
bobbecky

That lost neutral on the utility equipment is what caused the Hi/Low condition, and the reason this happens is the neutral connection being loose or broken can’t stabilize the two hot legs so the voltage drops on the leg with more load and this causes the other leg to rise to a dangerous voltage. This can also happen in the rig if that neutral connection on the shore cable connection has failed. That is a selling point on having a hardwired EMS. An EMS plugged in at the pedestal will protect against the utility problem but can’t see or protect against the shore cable problem. An electrical fire in the rig can be a real problem when this happens and everyone should consider a good EMS.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:44 AM   #49
spicercars

Hope you solve your problem. Welcome from northern MN.

Tags
converter, power