Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
Vandikar1

My 174RK Lemon, take 2

Okay, so they sold me a trailer with a defective slide out controller outta the box. After 2 months, got that fixed.

Now, on my 2nd use of this little keystone gem, all the AC plugs died, looks like GFI dead, and fridge only runs on propane. Electrical does nothing.

Someone wanna tell me how big an idiot i am for buying this thing? It seems “New” just basicall means “broken”
Vandikar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandikar1 View Post
Okay, so they sold me a trailer with a defective slide out controller outta the box. After 2 months, got that fixed.

Now, on my 2nd use of this little keystone gem, all the AC plugs died, looks like GFI dead, and fridge only runs on propane. Electrical does nothing.

Someone wanna tell me how big an idiot i am for buying this thing? It seems “New” just basicall means “broken”
OK, slide was fixed. Now you are describing AC plugs not working, GFI not working and fridge not working. Are you looking for help or just venting. First, are you using an EMS? Stuff you are describing operate using AC and not DC. Does your microwave or anything else that uses AC work (TV/stereo, etc)? Have you checked power at the pedestal and are you plugged into a 30A outlet on a pedestal?

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to give you any specific help. I know you are frustrated by the tone of you post but not sure if you are looking for help or just venting...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
Vandikar1

Badically just venting as i really think the trailer is garbage.

However to answer question. Yes, microwave and lights work, as does water pump and heater. Half the USB plugs work as well. Ac, fans, work. Its a 30 amp, worked a few days ago, after I reset GFI. Now GFI is not responding to reset. Just solid amber lights. Tv is ac, so no, its not working. I do have a camco power defender and its shows power, but nothing working past that. My frustration is that ive tried to use this thing twice and its broken both times. Its literally 3 months old.
Vandikar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're not looking for help in repairing the trailer, probably the best advice is to take it back to the dealership, park it in front and call them Monday morning to let them know why it's parked out front. They will probably be able to look at it in the next few weeks, get parts ordered and hopefully get it back to you in time to winterize it and put it in winter storage...

Or, you could get some advice on how to fix it, keep camping and snear at the dealership rather than plead with them....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
jasin1

I know the quality isnt always the best on rvs but some problems are caused by inexperienced owners.
There is a learning process when buying an rv

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out
Old 04-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I will try and help if you are willing to take a look at a few things. First your Camco Power Defender is NOT an electrical management system (EMS). They are surge protectors and the $300 version indicates high or low voltage but not the condition of the electricity as it enters your trailer. I suggest a genuine EMS. Next, some stuff has power (AC) and some not. Of course, you have flipped the breakers on and off? After that, you may have loose wires on your neutral buss in the power center. I would unplug from shore power and tighten each lug on the buss bar (white wires connected). The black wires are positive and unlikely several would go out. You may also have a faulty GFI plug or need to check to ensure the wires are inserted into the blades fully on the back. It is likely an experience RVer with some skills could fix your problems or at least locate the cause (if parts needed) fairly quickly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandikar1 View Post

Welcome to the rv ownership club!
It doesn't matter what brand, price, make or model rvs are thrown together at the factory then the dealer is expected to make it right. It sounds as though you bought from "one of those dealers" that rolled it out onto the lot hoping someone that knows nothing about rvs comes along to purchase without any inspections.
Sound familiar?
Anyone buying a rv should NEVER sign on the dotted UNTIL everything in or on that rv has been throughly tested & works properly or is in the shop.being repaired before signing.
Back to your problems.
There are 2 power sources for all rvs, 3 if you count propane, 120 volt from shore power or a generator & 12 volt from batteries, from your description your having issues with both.
The pump, lights, slides, furnace are all 12 volt. Is your batteries fully charged? Did your sorry dealer install 1 cheap a## marine type cranking battery? Does the rv have a battery disconnect near the battery that may be in the "disconnect" position?
You stated your connected to 30 amp plug, have you confirmed there's power there to start with? If there's no power the the GFCIs won't reset.
Go to the "user CP" in the header, drop to "edit signature", list your make model of your rv & tow vehicle, drop to the bottom of the page & "save changes". This will aid those trying to help without constantly asking "what rv".
Now give as much information as possible so that you can get better solutions to your problems.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Lots of things to do to own an RV. One of the very first ones is to make sure it is functioning 100% before you take it from a dealer. Another is to familiarize yourself with the operation of an RV....like the different sources of power, what they power, how and why. They are nothing, NOTHING like walking into a new house and flip a switch for abc to work.

If you need help folks here can walk you through it, if you want to vent...I'd call the dealership and ask why it had issues and take it to them. In the current RV environment expect it back say October....later if you want to "vent" at them too.

Don't know that anyone will tell you you're an idiot for buying it but maybe a little due diligence and familiarization would have been in order - as is mandatory with any RV purchase.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote