Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #1
donaldN01

Trouble with Furnace

I am having issues with my furnace. The blower starts, ignighter lights, runs for 5-10 minutes, then the flame stops, blower continues to run, then it reignights but only "flames" for 2 - 6 seconds and then the flame goes out. It does the ignition 3 times, flames for 2 - 5 seconds each time, and then the blower shuts off. If I leave it off for 30 minutes or so, when turned back on it repeats the same cycle of firing for 10 minutes then just blower stays running, reigniting 3 times for 2 - 5 seconds and then blower shuts off. If t's the sail switch it should not fire at all, correct.
donaldN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldN01 View Post
I am having a similar issue. The blower starts, ignighter lights, runs for 5-10 minutes, then the flame stops, blower continues to run, then it reignights but only "flames" for 2 - 6 seconds and then the flame goes out. It does the ignition 3 times, flames for 2 - 5 seconds each time, and then the blower shuts off. If I leave it off for 30 minutes or so, when turned back on it repeats the same cycle of firing for 10 minutes then just blower stays running, reigniting 3 times for 2 - 5 seconds and then blower shuts off. If t's the sail switch it should not fire at all, correct.

First, if you fill out your signature by going to the User CP and fill in your signature with the make, model and year of your trailer and tow vehicle it is much simpler to ask questions and get useful answers. Tagging on to this thread about a specific furnace may or may not offer anything for you if your furnace is a different model.

When I had a furnace that did what sounds like exactly what yours is doing it was the control board.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
jsb5717

Could it also be a resettable fuse? If the 12v fuse for the furnace is one of the black ones you might try replacing it with a plain old fuse of the same rating.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
donaldN01

I added my RV and TV to the signature. I do not have the model of furnace handy, but it is Dometic. I thought I would comment on this tread as it came up when I was searching for some answers. Was this OK or should I have started a new thread. Sorry Semi-Newbie here.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
ChuckS

Take the OEM resettable fuse for the Atwood Dometic and toss it and install a conventional ATC fuse. Most likely that’s your issue

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Take the OEM resettable fuse for the Atwood Dometic and toss it and install a conventional ATC fuse. Most likely that’s your issue
^^^ I agree, don't use it in the furnace circuit, swapping it out will probably keep your furnace working, but as "cheap as I am" I'd recommend not throwing it away. Sooner or later, you're going to be troubleshooting blown fuses somewhere in the trailer and that resettable fuse will come in handy to help locate the shorted wire without needing 2 or 3 boxes of regular fuses.... For me, the resettable fuse is great for troubleshooting, but I won't leave one in a circuit with any kind of heavy load....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:48 AM   #7
donaldN01

Where is the resettable fuse located? In the fuse box or in the Furnace somewhere. Also, would the blower still run and only fire for a short period if it is a fuse issue?
Old 04-21-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
jsb5717

Check in your fuse box and look at the one that's labelled for the furnace. Is it a black fuse? The resettable fuses can be glitchy and can trip after several minutes and later reset. Just replace it with a standard, plain old fuse (a blue one if it's 15amp).

If the fuse that's there isn't a black on then the issue is something else.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #9
ChuckS

Based on the issues you describe if the fuse doesnt fix the issue then I would be looking at the flame sensor... Its part of the Igniter.. If it cant detect a flame then the LP solenoid on the furnace will shut off

The furnace will then attempt 3 retries and if these fail the furnace goes into lockout mode..

To clear the lockout simply turn the furnace thermostat off and then back on and it will again run thru its light off attempts..

And NO.. the issue at hand does not sound like a sail switch

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
donaldN01

I am not at the Trailer now, but I am almost positive all the fuses are just regular (blue 15amp) fuses. No resetting fuses.

Also, if it is the flame sensor, why would it function the first time, run for 10 -15 minutes, then shut the flame off, I assume because the high limit switch maxes out, Blower continues to run, then when it tries to ignite (after it cools enough), that's when the 2 - 5 second flames happen, and then shuts off after 3 attempts.

After a lot of online research and video watching, I think it's a control board issue.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #11
thatoneguy

Had a very similar issue, had one wire that somehow shorted on the control board and burned up but not all the way. Re-spliced a good wire in its place and no issues.
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote