Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
Dilly541

Hot water tank treatment

The previous owner of our trailer let the water (well water) go stagnant in the hot water heater and it STUNK. Overpowering sulpher "rotten egg" smell. I rigged up a contraption I thought I would share and treated it.

The challenge was filling the tank while it was in bypass with the substances I wanted to use to treat the smell/bacteria. I got a spare drain plug, drilled a hole in it and inatlled a nylon hose barb. I attached a length of clear plastic tubing to the hose barb and put the other end over the tip of my garder sprayer. First step to de-scale it, I filled the sprayer with vinegar and pressurized it and filled the tank and let it sit. After an overnight, I recovered the vinegar by lowering the tubing back in the jugs. I then treated it with some hydrogen peroxide. That sat overnight, then I rinsed it out with water and baking soda.

The final rinse was with clean water and it took a bit for the reddish water to go to milky then finally clear but with NO SMELL. I left the plug out for now. I hope I have it licked.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #2
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly541 View Post
After an overnight, I recovered the vinegar by lowering the tubing back in the jugs. I then treated it with some hydrogen peroxide.
Took me a couple re-reads to figure out that you used the peroxide in the heater, and not in some weird chemistry experiment to purify the vinegar in your jug.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:36 AM   #3
Dilly541

Oh boy...I can see now that it does seem a bit confusing. Yeah...I recovered the vinegar for use in cleaning etc later. Then I treated the tank with peroxide to kill any remaining bacteria...

Yikes. I am no Bill Shakespeare
Old 04-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
ChuckS

I would still sanitize the entire RV water system lines using some Clorox and let it sit in the entire water system for 24 hours so the free chlorine has a chance to do some good..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Dilly541

Thanks Chuck. That is the plan and is on the list. I just haven’t fully de-winterized it yet. Still getting some cold nights up here. Almost ready.

Tags
tank, water