Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
HPPY)CMPR

Transfer the extended warranty to new owner?

Just bought a 2020 Passport with 3 yrs of the 5 year warranty from previous owner that can be transfered to me. 1 warranty for outside paint protection (ceramic coating) and inside stain protection..can transfer for $50. Another road hazard warranty for tires and rims, written by TIRE SHIELD also $50. THE QUESTION IS, has anyone in the forum actually collected on one of these policies? I'm thinking the tire/wheel one may be worth the $50. May difficult to prove that a "road hazard" was the cause of the damage!?

Thanks
HPPY)CMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPPY)CMPR View Post
Just bought a 2020 Passport with 3 yrs of the 5 year warranty from previous owner that can be transfered to me. 1 warranty for outside paint protection (ceramic coating) and inside stain protection..can transfer for $50. Another road hazard warranty for tires and rims, written by TIRE SHIELD also $50. THE QUESTION IS, has anyone in the forum actually collected on one of these policies? I'm thinking the tire/wheel one may be worth the $50. May difficult to prove that a "road hazard" was the cause of the damage!?

Thanks
Lots of places that sell tires such as Walmart or Discount Tire up-sell road hazard with the tires. Since you are talking about a 3rd party, Tire Shield. I am not fond of check online reviews because in many cases, the company wrote these reviews; especially if they are glowing. BBB give the company an A+ rating and there are a couple reviews. One is negative but the writer was just venting without specifics. The others were positive:

https://www.bbb.org/us/nv/las-vegas/...stomer-reviews
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks
I'd recommend you read the policies very carefully. IMHO most of them are just a way for the dealer to make more money and not worth it. For the tire warranty is it a deal where you have to ship the tire to them for determination if it meets reimbursement terms? Does it pay for damages thjat resulted by the tire failure? Doe the policy pro rate the cost of the tire? All questions that only you can find out by reading the policies.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #4
rjrelander

And chances are that if that tire warranty is for the original tires that came with the trailer, then two years might already be time to be looking at replacements anyway,

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
HPPY)CMPR

Thanks, tires only have a couple thousand miles. The warranty is for any tire on the trailer even if not the original, and includes the tow vehicle's tires also.
I will have to look over the mice print - again.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, tires only have a couple thousand miles. The warranty is for any tire on the trailer even if not the original, and includes the tow vehicle's tires also.
I will have to look over the mice print - again.
Trailer tires do not typically wear out, meaning most folks don't put enough milage on the tires to wear down the tread before they become grenades. There are OEM tires that are well known to be problematic with premature failures. Trailer King is the most recognized brand that many, many folks have reported problems with.

With a model year that could quite possibly have been built 3 years ago the tires will be even older. The "born on date" for tires can be found in an oval on the sidewall. That oval will have 4 numbers, the first 2 is the week number and the second 2 numbers is the year. So let's say the oval on the tire has 1220 molded in that would be the 12 week of 2020.

The time to discard ST trailer tires varies from person to person. It's generally thought that ST tires loose 10% of their capacity to carry the rated weight per year. Some folks religiously change them out at year 3 and others at year 5. A lot of folks won't accept Trailer Kings when their trailer is delivered and will have them changed before they take the camper home. In my opinion, at 2+ years old I wouldn't trust Trailer Kings to go anywhere.

These are my opinions. There's an entire Forum dedicated to the discussion on tires called Tires, Tires, Tires! There's plenty of discussions, photos of blown out tires and pictures of damaged trailers from the destruction of tires. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...play.php?f=135
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
HPPY)CMPR

Thanks ALL - for the comments/suggestions. I wasn't aware the thread - tires,tires,tires!
I'll have search around on the Forum a bit more for the subjects that are of interest to me. I believe I'll forget about the warranty(s). To many hoops to jump through. I'll put the cash towards maintenance and/or tires.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The way all of the "trailer exterior sealant protection" packages I've read are "worded" is the insurance carrier will redo the sealant and pay for labor during the first 2 years. After that, they pay for the sealant only and pro-rate the labor. One only paid 50% of the labor in the 3rd year, and it went down 20% per year until the labor was no longer included.

The "big print" said, "Sealant and labor included for 10 years. The small print did all the exclusions and essentially after the 3rd year, they were paying less than the $50 it would cost you to transfer the warranty....

As for tires, unless they'll replace the tires with no "pro-rated deductions" AND pay the trailer damage, it's probably not worthwhile to transfer that one either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty