Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #1
Trent1961

Fridge question

We have to leave our camper at the dealer for a week to get the unit looked over for the warranty. They say they can’t keep it plugged in for the entire week. Will the battery and the 200 watt solar keep the fridge ok if no one opens it until I can pick it up? I’m sure it will be on shore power part of that time while they are in it doing the check and a couple warranty issues.
Trent1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Trent the last thing I would do is take my RV to a dealership with contents in the fridge. That "week" can, and probably will, turn into 10 days to a month. No one opening at the dealership? I've not found any of them that the employees don't open and "test" what's there....including using the toilet.

Empty the fridge it is in your best interests for sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Even if the solar could keep up are you willing to bet the contents on the solar panel getting full sun? Have you ever smelled a fridge after its held spoiled food, especially meat? That typically ends with the fridge going to the landfill.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Unless you tell them you have food in fridge and to keep it plugged in, I wouldn’t take the chance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

We just returned from a two month trip to a failed fridge. I could post pics but I can't duplicate the smell for you. Unless you want to experience this for yourself I suggest you empty it first. Much easier to empty while fresh, and not nearly as expensive.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
We just returned from a two month trip to a failed fridge. I could post pics but I can't duplicate the smell for you. Unless you want to experience this for yourself I suggest you empty it first. Much easier to empty while fresh, and not nearly as expensive.

Yes sir!! Went home a couple of years ago after being gone a few months. Walked in the house and it would knock your head off. The main fridge/freezer died and it was GROSS! I used about a roll of duct tape to seal those doors and when the man came with the replacement I told him what happened and that it was still full of food and taped. He looked at the tape, got another roll and wrapped it again. Said it was going straight to the dump. So, I would clean the fridge out...
Old 03-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
Trent1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Trent the last thing I would do is take my RV to a dealership with contents in the fridge. That "week" can, and probably will, turn into 10 days to a month. No one opening at the dealership? I've not found any of them that the employees don't open and "test" what's there....including using the toilet.

Empty the fridge it is in your best interests for sure.
Well the week better be all because there is nothing to prevent me from pulling it out. Plus we are living in it while my wife travel nurses, so longer time is no option. The warranty items are minor, vent not operating and second toilet not holding water in the bowl long. So no biggie if I pull it and go back to the RV park.
Trent1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent1961 View Post
Well the week better be all because there is nothing to prevent me from pulling it out. Plus we are living in it while my wife travel nurses, so longer time is no option. The warranty items are minor, vent not operating and second toilet not holding water in the bowl long. So no biggie if I pull it and go back to the RV park.
Make absolutely sure that the service manager is aware of your situation, has you set up to go into a bay right off, then agrees to get the work done and the RV back to you on your timeline or you may be disappointed.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Make absolutely sure that the service manager is aware of your situation, has you set up to go into a bay right off, then agrees to get the work done and the RV back to you on your timeline or you may be disappointed.
I agree, Full timers get priority in our shop, and if you can send them pics of problem and model/ser #, they may be able to order parts before you arrive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Yes sir!! Went home a couple of years ago after being gone a few months. Walked in the house and it would knock your head off. The main fridge/freezer died and it was GROSS! I used about a roll of duct tape to seal those doors and when the man came with the replacement I told him what happened and that it was still full of food and taped. He looked at the tape, got another roll and wrapped it again. Said it was going straight to the dump. So, I would clean the fridge out...
At least he hauled it off for you. They said "we can't haul one with mold" and drove off leaving it with me! I eventually got it in my truck and hauled it off myself.
Andersen hitch
Old 03-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
GoingPlaces

Something to consider. I don't know how your system is configured but if it is like mine, the refrigerator is not connected to the batteries or Solar System. My refrigerator is shore power or propane.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:04 PM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Something to consider. I don't know how your system is configured but if it is like mine, the refrigerator is not connected to the batteries or Solar System. My refrigerator is shore power or propane.
Most likely the OP fridge runs only on 12 volt. Even though yours runs on 120 volt or propane it still requires 12 volt power for the refrigerator control system. It is connected to the batteries.
Andersen hitch
Old 03-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
GoingPlaces

Good point.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #14
skids

If they do unplug it from shore power, you will likely come back to it with destroyed deep cell batteries. I guess I don’t have enough faith in them disconnecting the battery.

Tags
fridge