Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2022, 02:18 PM   #1
JOglesby

Leaks leaks and more leaks

We purchased a new 2021 Bullet 290BHS about 10 months ago. Every time we take it out I find another leak. Took it in for warranty service as water was running across the floor from. The water heater. Technician told me all the connectwere loose, hand tight only. He tightened several up including under the sink in the bathroom. Today I found more where the outside shower is connected. It se3ms like plumbing guy was really laying down on the job that day. I know campers/trailers all come with some sort of issue but this is ridiculous. NO quality control whatsoever.

I can fix them just a little frustrating and what about any I can't see.

Now also under the sink in the bathroom the hose for the black tank flush comes up and through some kind of valve/breather then back down through the floor. When I flush the black tank it sprays water all over the inside of the cabinet. What does that thing supposed to do? Do I need it?
JOglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
Now also under the sink in the bathroom the hose for the black tank flush comes up and through some kind of valve/breather then back down through the floor. When I flush the black tank it sprays water all over the inside of the cabinet. What does that thing supposed to do? Do I need it?
Yes you do, it’s called an anti siphon valve. It has to to oriented correctly to work. If it’s straight and the lines are hooked up the right way it shouldn’t leak. Sounds like yours is either not sitting right or has failed.

You can replace it, or bypass it and use an anti siphon valve at the external hose connection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Unfortunately, leaks on new RVs is nothing new. They may not leak when they leave, but after bouncing down the highway for a few thousand miles, they develop. The funny part is if they’re as bad as you say, the dealer should have caught them on the PDI……unless they all started after you bounced it down the road a bit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:11 AM   #4
JOglesby

Pretty sure the water heater has leaked from day 1. But we didn't notice it for a few trips. The others have come up after but the connections are not even finger tight. One leak appears to be where the pet is crimped to a plastic fitting. I will be replacing these with brass. But no the dealer did not catch these. We bought at Great American, not impressed with them at all. Kind of a pain to deal with. Already had to fight them on another warranty claim.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:17 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If you haven't already, I would go through the trailer and tighten EVERY connection. Uncover the water heater and check behind it, under the sinks, outdoor shower...everything. I've even pulled the shower fixture inside to check behind it (it wasn't leaking). Also check all the drain connections under the sinks, I've found them hanging by a thread. Keep in mind that because a technician checked something doesn't mean he checked it all. I would suspect the only thing he checked is whatever you said was leaking.

As far as the anti siphon valve, cut it out and put 2 90s in its place and be done with it. Put a little screw on anti siphon fitting on the end of your black tank flush hose and it does the same thing and won't flood the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #6
ChuckS

yup the black tank anti siphon valve is junk.. its plastic and every RV Ive ever owned that had one it came out when I towed it home..

If you just gotta have one then replace it with a quality brass one from HD or Lowes..

Or just remove it all together and use an anti siphon hose fitting outside on your hose when you connect to wash out the black tank

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
yup the black tank anti siphon valve is junk.. its plastic and every RV Ive ever owned that had one it came out when I towed it home..

If you just gotta have one then replace it with a quality brass one from HD or Lowes..

Or just remove it all together and use an anti siphon hose fitting outside on your hose when you connect to wash out the black tank
And while the subject has come about ... NEVER, EVER USE YOUR FRESH WATER HOSE TO RINSE OUT YOUR HOLDING TANKS!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
JOglesby

Yep, I have a separate hose just for the black tank flush. My plan is to go get some quality fittings and pex conne tors and start replacing. Also will keep a few spares while we are on the road. I'll also look t better anti siphon valves.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
Yep, I have a separate hose just for the black tank flush. My plan is to go get some quality fittings and pex conne tors and start replacing. Also will keep a few spares while we are on the road. I'll also look t better anti siphon valves.
Flair it makes quality connectors in various configurations, just make sure to buy the tool to tighten as it makes it real easy:

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16390-P...38816973&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:32 AM   #10
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Flair it makes quality connectors in various configurations, just make sure to buy the tool to tighten as it makes it real easy:

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16390-P...38816973&psc=1

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16391-P...00H5QMVO&psc=1

Tags
leak, leaks