Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
RhodietheRoadie

Main slide floor replacement

Hello All,

I’m new to this forum, any forum for that matter, so forgive me if I’ve done something wrong. My 32’ hideout has a 12+ft main slide. The water has penetrated at the bottom of the wall (from the outside…obviously). I have removed the carpeting and determined the entire floor has to be replaced. I’ve been trying to find marine grade plywood, but noone stocks it in my province. After exhaustive research, I think I’m going to buy top quality plywood and a can of blueskin roll on membrane to waterproof the ply.
Question-1: Will the membrane just wear through when pulling the slide in and out? Or is it more durable than I think. (I don’t have rollers)
Question -2: After the membrane has been rolled on (multiple coats) and the product has cured, could I then adhere a skin/tarp like the one that came on the slide? Would the glue/resin actually stick to the blueskin?
TIA!!
Rhodie
RhodietheRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't believe the roll on membrane will last long if the slide is gliding over a wear bar which I figure it is. Some questions;

Is the slide a cable operated slide? You can see the cables at the top and bottom on each end of the slide.

Do you intend to remove the slide completely?

I wouldn't leave the bottom of the slide with that roll on membrane but what to do about it depends on the scope of work you plan.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Any plywood you put there will be exposed to moisture both when the trailer is in use and when it's in storage... The advantage to marine grade plywood is the waterproof glue that holds it together. Standard plywood usually doesn't have "waterproof glue" and the veneer layers are less dense, have more knots and there are fewer "layers" in standard plywood.... If you can't get marine grade plywood, have you considered a "structurally engineered decking material??? At most lumber yards, they'll have "floor decking" that is waterproof. Dyna-span is one such brand (used by the trailer industry for "solid RV floors", but there are a number of other brands.

Talk to a "large independent lumber yard/construction/building supply store... Typically Lowe's and Home Depot only carry things that "move quickly in volume" not things that "better products that are used by home builders"

As for your question about a membrane on the bottom of the slide floor, yes, it will be subjected to sliding across a "slick wear bar" and/or rollers along the bottom of the main trailer floor. Most trailer slide floors have a DARCO membrane attached to the bottom of the floor. It's similar to a "cheap plastic tarp like the blue ones sold at all hardware stores and at WalMart. DARCO is also used as the vapor barrier on the bottom of most mobile homes, modular homes and double-wide homes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
RhodietheRoadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't believe the roll on membrane will last long if the slide is gliding over a wear bar which I figure it is. Some questions;

Is the slide a cable operated slide? You can see the cables at the top and bottom on each end of the slide.

NO CABLES AS I CAN TELL. 2 electric slide rams underneath.

Do you intend to remove the slide completely?
I WONT BE REMOVING THE SLIDE.

I wouldn't leave the bottom of the slide with that roll on membrane but what to do about it depends on the scope of work you plan.
MY THOUGHTS AS WELL, but if the tarp material can be adhered to the rolled on membrane, I’ll go that route. Otherwise, I’d have to figure something else out. I don’t want to just reproduce the factory floor. They aren’t good enough. I’m going to do it better….
RhodietheRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

How are you going to cover the bottom of the slide with Darco or similar? You will have to remove it to do so I would think. If you are going to remove it I would suggest covering the bottom of the slide with uhmw as I've done with this one. The slide bottom nor the darco no longer is exposed to anything, the uhmw is perfect to slide on the wear bar and it's literally (almost) wear proof (especially on that slide bar).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

What is the stuff they use in showers that is a panel type... is it called green board? Something like that with some luan plywood on top seems like a possibility.

OK, I was reading and cement backer board is supposed to be now considered better for wet applications. That stuff is heavy. Not sure how it would hold up if bounced around in a camper?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide