Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
RQG10256

Cool Cougar 333MKS Bumper capacity?

Hi, does anyone know what the weight capacity the rear bumper of a 2014 Cougar 333MKS? I will be mounting a Generator and don't want to put one that exceeds it's weight capacity.
thank you for your help.
RQG10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:34 AM   #2
notanlines

Bad, bad idea putting anything but a bicycle on that bumper. You need a receiver to haul any generator. Again, bad idea.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
spicercars

I second that. Do not put anything on the rear bumper without reinforcement or a hitch. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:56 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Bad, bad idea putting anything but a bicycle on that bumper. You need a receiver to haul any generator. Again, bad idea.
Even a bike is a bad idea!
You need a rack that is solidly attached to the frame.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:03 AM   #5
RQG10256

Thumbs up Cougar 333MKS Bumper capacity

Thanks, Allow me to correct myself, there is a sliding bumper with a tray attached the tray is about 24" in depth and the length of the bumper. It does have a capacity rating but I don't remember what it is? It is not very much I am hoping it would be enough for a 3500 Watt Generator.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:09 AM   #6
ChuckS

The 3500 series generator weight around 125lbs or so.. Do not use the OEM bumper tray... If you want to still have a generator when you arrive at your destination

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:24 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RQG10256 View Post
Thanks, Allow me to correct myself, there is a sliding bumper with a tray attached the tray is about 24" in depth and the length of the bumper. It does have a capacity rating but I don't remember what it is? It is not very much I am hoping it would be enough for a 3500 Watt Generator.
Personal experience with a 2015 333MKS tells me that not only will it drag on almost every dip and speed bump on the road but it won't hold even an 84 quart Coleman for more than a few miles..

I extended mine for about 10 miles and then stopped and pushed it back in and never extended it again... I told the folks who bought it that they should just forget that it was there... or cut it off and have a real hitch welded to the frame.. but even then if it stuck out more than a couple of inches it was going to drag often..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:40 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RQG10256 View Post
Here's what I'd recommend. Extend the tray. Find someone that weights about 125 lbs. Have them jump on that tray for several hours a day until it breaks, and it will break. Then remove the tray and discard it. By doing this you'll end up with the same end result as far as the tray is concerned. The plus side will be that your generator will still be intact and you won't have an insurance claim from the vehichle behind you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Would you lift your generator 1' off the ground and drop it repeatedly throughout the day? If you "think that would be bad for the generator's reliability" then consider that's exactly the environment you're putting your generator in when you strap it to the back of a bouncing trailer and attempt to tow it at 70MPH on any of today's "wunnerful highways"....

Anything of value that you want to protect, keep or need to be reliable deserves a much better "transport location" rather than being strapped to the worst riding part of any RV....

Don't use that "factory designed sliding platform" for anything other than a place to keep things off the ground when you're parked in a campground and the space is wet or muddy..... Otherwise, you're risking damage or loss of your equipment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #10
RQG10256

Thumbs up Cougar 333MKS Bumper capacity

Thank you everyone for your insight, it is greatly appreciated. Guess I won't be getting a generator anytime soon. Hope everyone has an awesome year!
Old 03-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If your camping style is enhanced by having a generator, then there's space in front of most fifth wheel hitches to store one. It's safer, rides better and is more protected than on the trailer rear bumper... However, most generators are "heavy to lift over the hitch, take up valuable payload with their 100+ pound weight, and mean there's usually some shifting of cargo so the generator will fit.

You didn't say what type of generator you're considering, but if you want "friendly campground neighbors" don't consider a "contractor style generator"... They are loud, obnoxious and most don't meet national park/national forest noise levels"... I'd suggest looking at "campground friendly inverter generators" with their reduced noise levels.

RVing usually means a compromise for most of us with what we take, where we store it and what we leave home because it either won't fit available space, is too heavy and there's no payload or simply, "We won't use it enough this trip to justify having to deal with it at every stop"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
travelin texans

I'd have to agree with the others about that rear rack, if you whatever you strap to to arrive with you don't strap it to the tray.
Welcome to the forum!
Now go to the ""user CP" in the black bar, then to "edit signature" then add the make, model & year of your rv & tow vehicle, drop down to "save changes", now this info will appear on every post so you won't have to be constantly be ask "what vehicle/rv" when asking questions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
WearyTraveler

I was going to carry a gen on the rear of my rig. When I mentioned that in this (or another, I forget) group, physics was mentioned and I was cautioned not to.

I’ve since bought a rack that attaches to my tongue (the rig’s, not mine ). Now I’ve got to move things around to bring down the tongue weight. (Physics is a mother!)

I’d recommend carrying as little as possible back there. Store your slinkies and septic attachments…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9F57DC5-C704-4B43-8A6A-80ED50D3DFA3.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	825.4 KB
ID:	38801  
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #14
rlh1957

I’m not sure any of the bumpers on rigs can handle weight. I saw one guy at a campground that pulled in and his factory spare tire mount on the bumper had developed cracks and split on the bumper and it would have totally failed and come off soon.
It was good for meeting some new folks, swapping stories over a cold one!

If a bumper is intended for anything to be mounted it will have a weight on it.
Only safe way to do what you want is to have a carrier welded to the frame or fitted to frame in bolt holes.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
Froggy#1

I have a 2016 Cougar 333MKS that I put a mountain bike on the pullout bumper. Nothing heavy just the bike. Two days later I'm dragging the bumper. Both brackets broke off at the weld point. When I contacted the dealer Keystone denied my claim saying I overloaded the rack. I would not trust it for anything.
Froggy#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:39 PM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I was going to carry a gen on the rear of my rig. When I mentioned that in this (or another, I forget) group, physics was mentioned and I was cautioned not to.

I’ve since bought a rack that attaches to my tongue (the rig’s, not mine ). Now I’ve got to move things around to bring down the tongue weight. (Physics is a mother!)

I’d recommend carrying as little as possible back there. Store your slinkies and septic attachments…
That's a much better location than the bumper.
If the weight of a generator that you can easily lift up onto that rack or that rack can handle affects the trucks payload then it's not enough truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar