Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #21
Carrottop

Slightly unrelated I thought Keystone went to color coded wiring to easily identify the source or tracing. Or am I reading this wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	38396  
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
The problem is resolved. I thank all of you for your inputs. They were all very helpful.

Indeed the 1 GFCI outlet in the master bathroom is the only true GFCI outlet controlling all of the GFI protected outlets. In addition the breaker in the panel labeled GFI also covers these outlets.

After searching for an additional GFI, taking off the 1 outlet cover that I thought the problem was in I had an epiphany over the weekend and decided to take the cover off of the last outlet in the camper, which was in the half bath in the bunkhouse, prior to these outlets to see what was what. Sure enough there was a simple loose wire.

Simply trying to stuff the wire back into the crappy outlets they give you wasn’t working as Keystone had stuffed 3 sets of Romex into this 1 outlet and there isn’t enough room in the brass sleeves for them all to slide in which is why it easily popped out. Why it coincided with when I plugged in the space heater is something I don’t understand but nonetheless this was the problem.

To fix it I bought a regular plug and skinny box from the hardware store and put it back the way it should have been done originally.

Problem solved and now hopefully I can sleep through the night again instead of thinking about how to solve electrical problems…

Thank you all again for all the comments, they sure do help to keep the juices flowing on ideas. Love this forum.

Quote … “why it coincided with plugging in the space heater”

Glad you figured it out
..the wires on the outlet very well could have been heating up and expanding…this would cause the brass pinch connector to expand as well…opening up the gap…when the wire cooled it would could be too loose and pop out…you should keep an eye on the heater…I’d use a laser temp gun and check the outlet temp when the heater is running..might want to check the outlets before it also
Old 02-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #23
RVGator

The color coded wiring doesn’t apply to Romex, which is standard.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #24
rhagfo

I find it interesting that the OP’s GFI circuit had seven outlets on it, I thought National Electrical Code had limit of six outlets on a single circuit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I find it interesting that the OP’s GFI circuit had seven outlets on it, I thought National Electrical Code had limit of six outlets on a single circuit.
The OP never said exactly i don't believe how many outlets he had on his circuit. I am the one who stated I had seven outlets on my GFCI circuit. Two behind the TV don't know why, Two in kitchen area, One in bathroom, One in bedroom and the one outside. Seven in total on a 15 amp breaker. Weird to me also.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #26
RVGator

OP here. I have 8 outlets on the same circuit. 3 in the outdoor kitchen, 1 in the bunkhouse, 1 in the 1/2 bath, 1 in the living room slide, 1 in the master bath, and 1 in the master bedroom. Seems excessive and they prob should have included a 2nd circuit protected in the 1/2 bath.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #27
jasin1

Found this link on rv travels..national code on rv wiring..and second manual on campground pedestals ..it’s a short article and links to the books but need to register to see them I believe https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...find-out-here/

Tags
outlets