Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
alku1

Back-up camera prep for 2020 Keystone cougar 29 MBS

Hi folks,

My 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS has a back-up camera preparation at the roof/tail and on one side. Now I wasnt able to find much about info on the technical specs. Since I cant just check at the RV I wanted to tap into this fantastic swarm know-how here :-)

1) What exactly does camera prepared mean? I guess its power suppluy besides a mount point. But how is it powered and can I switch it off/on?

2) What cameras are compatible to these mount points?

3) Any recommendations for a specific product? I would be also fine with just having an app for my old Iphone 5 if thats still supported
Old 02-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
JDDilly

The prep gives you a place to mount the camera with the wiring already there. It is wired into the lights, so to activate the camera you must have you truck lights in the on position. Mine had a mount for a Furion camera, but I went with a Haloview system that cam with an adaptor to fit the mount inn the camper. I went with the Haloview based on reviews and that I had a Furion on a previous camper that never worked well. I stopped for a couple things the other day and noticed some of the campers didn't have the camera mount, only a sticker indicating a place to mount the camera.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
Roper46

I also use the Haloview, RD10 model. My 5er also came with just a sticker over a hole that said camera ready. But the Haloview came with everything I needed including the mounting brackets.

In the hole behind the sticker you will find a loop of wire. This is the 12 volt wires for the running lights on the RV. You just cut the wire and splice in the camera, hence camera ready. As stated you will have to turn on at least your parking lights for the camera to get power.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
Village Idiot

I also went with Haloview (RD7), easy install and good quality video. Very little if any lag in the video. When I bought mine it said I needed to purchase the mount separately, that was not the case so I now have an extra furrion adapter laying around.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:28 PM   #5
Jim2366

I purchased the Furrion Observation camera and display. There is no doubt that it helps me on the highway. The display is very poor quality picture and so dim it's hard to see the picture on the screen. My Garmin RV GPSis right above it with a perfect picture it is like night and day.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:42 AM   #6
Marinerjoe

I transferred my Furrion camera from my previous camper to this one. As stated previously, there was no mount, just a long loop of wire and the hole where to pull it out. I did have to buy the mounting bracket as I left the bracket on my previous camper.

Another reason for me to stay with Furrion is because my 26RBS was manufactured with the Furrion LED side marker lights which made my installing the cameras that I subsequently bought effortless. I now have an S7 system with the monitor strapped to my rear view mirror and the the side and rear cameras.
TV: 2022 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB
Marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone