Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
Alex

Inverter question

If I install an inverter that is capable of charging my battery, what happens with the converter? Do you just disconnect it from the system since it is no longer needed?
Thanks.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your converter/charger does a lot more than just "charge the battery when on shore power"... It provides all the 12 volt power for lights, refrigerator/water heater/furnace operation as well as all the "phantom drain devices" such as remote control systems, LPG/CO monitor safety systems and charges the battery with what's left over.

Most converter/chargers are WFCO and typically are rated at 55 amps continuous output. Some inverters have the capacity to provide the entire output that equals the WFCO converter, some inverters have a 10 or 15 amp "battery charge system" as an add on when the inverter senses shore power.

Depending on the rating (continuous or intermittent) and the maximum continuous DC amperage output, you may be able to replace your converter/charger and just turn the circuit breaker off, shutting it down.

On the other hand, depending on the capability of your inverter battery charging system, it may or may not be adequate to provide continuous power to your RV or it may/may not be anything more than a "small battery charger".....

If you have both the battery charger from the inverter AND the converter/charger operational at the same time, there's a very good chance that they will each "sense the output voltage of the other" and both will think the battery is fully charged and shut down any charging to the battery. So, do some "due diligence" on which brand and model inverter you're considering. It may or may not even be capable of supplying enough power to operate the trailer systems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:46 AM   #3
Alex

Thank you for the excellent explanation!
Old 01-24-2022, 05:50 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Magnum makes inverter/chargers, and you can get a remote panel. Not cheap but I do know from experience they are very reliable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
KimNTerry

I disabled my converter years ago when I installed my Inverter/Charger (1800 watt Xantrex freedom with 40 amp charger). I would go with a 2000 watt pure sine wave today with higher charging amps. I have not have had any issues NOT using my converter.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
Alex

Yes. My plan was to go with a 2000 or 3000 watt unit, pure sine wave.

If I use a 3000 watt one would it be wise to connect a 30 amp receptacle vs a 20 amp?

Here is my reasoning. I know I can't pull 30 amps from it, but I could possibly pull 25 amps.This way I get the most usage from the inverter?
Old 01-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
KimNTerry

Mine has a built in transfer switch and is wired to the Incoming 30 Amp electrical. MAKE SURE the Inverter Charger can handle the 30 amps coming in. If I were doing it today I would go with the Victron Multi-Plus 30 amp setup. A bit pricey but with the features it has, it would be my preferred way to go.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #8
Alex

Not sure what you mean by "make sure it can handle 30 amps coming in"?

Isn't it just producing the 25 amps from the batteries? Not sure where the 30 amps is coming from? My rig is a 50 amp unit.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
KimNTerry

I have NO recommendations on a 50 Amp rig as mine is a 30 amp setup sorry.
That being said, a "50 amp" rig is a bit of a misnomer. As I understand thongs it is actually a 100 amp service with 2 50 amp legs.

I have seen videos using the Victron Multi-Plus for a 50 amp rig. You can absolutely do a sub panel and use what ever size you want.

Do your homework and make sure what you use can handle the amps you pushing through it.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
Alex

Thank you. I will do more homework to understand this better.

Tags
inverter