Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #21
BeemerJoe

Well everyone, it seems like I no longer have a battery problem. Followed all the recommendations, and the only thing that I found running besides the Fridge was my antenna booster, and my Stereo radio. I turned them both off, and made sure that the 4 Trojans were fully charged, and disconnected my shore power.
It's now 7 hours with the fridge set at 38 degrees, and the batteries are down to 50%
According to Trojan, these T-105 can safely be discharged to 20%, so I'm letting them go for another hour, which is the longest I'd go while dry camping.
That is very encouraging to me, as it was my biggest worry, about not having enough power for the fridge overnight.
I only wonder if that Antenna booster was taking up THAT much amps.. Anyway, watching the inverter with the Fridge on, showed that it was only drawing .3 to .5 amps.
Thank you all for the suggestions..
UPDATE:. Stoped the test at 8hrs. Batteries were down to 43%. Well within the Trojan parameters according to The Trojan Techs. Could probably have gotten 10 hours.. I'm happy.
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #22
BeemerJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's the power label from an 18cuft Samsung residential refrigerator. Amperage rating is 3 amps at 120 VAC. Keep in mind this is for the compressor. If you have door heaters, ice maker, etc that is going to affect the total electrical draw.

ADDED: Keep in mind that this is rated 3 amps at 120VAC. That's 360 watts, which, if drawn from a 12 volt source would be 30 amps at 12VDC.
Found the label
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4118.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	37403  
Old 12-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #23
BeemerJoe

Just thought you'd like to know.. I found out how to turn off my fridge..
For the residential Samsung 4 door fridge, to turn it OFF or ON, press and hold the POWER FREEZE AND FREEZER buttons down at the same time.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #24
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Just thought you'd like to know.. I found out how to turn off my fridge..
For the residential Samsung 4 door fridge, to turn it OFF or ON, press and hold the POWER FREEZE AND FREEZER buttons down at the same time.
Or switch the fridge breaker off and turn off the inverter
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:50 AM   #25
RickV

How long did you run the fridge after it reached 50% discharge? I thought that I read at least with the inverter in mine that the inverter would shut down at 50% as to not completely drain the batteries. Just curious as I am rarely off shore power anyway.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:47 AM   #26
Skillet173

This is reassuring. I thought for sure I would be "doomed" trying to go through a night with the residential fridge in my new 419. My old toy hauler had a Norcold RV 2 way fridge and I always worried about the temps. and had to run generator anyway.
I am now optimistic I can make this new rig work out very well with some solar and decent battery bank.
Now if GM would just build and deliver my tow vehicle that'd be great...

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #27
BeemerJoe

I was at 43% at 9 hours when I shut it down. Inverter was doing great. never saw it us more than .5 amps. Went down to .2 when the compressor wasn't working on the Fridge. Maybe I'll let it go on my next test and see how far it will go. I'll make sure not to let it drain the batteries past 20% though.. Trojan told me that 20% was the limit, So I'll stop it at 25 unless the inverter quits. I'll have to do some research on when it's supposed to quit.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #28
BeemerJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
This is reassuring. I thought for sure I would be "doomed" trying to go through a night with the residential fridge in my new 419. My old toy hauler had a Norcold RV 2 way fridge and I always worried about the temps. and had to run generator anyway.
I am now optimistic I can make this new rig work out very well with some solar and decent battery bank.
Now if GM would just build and deliver my tow vehicle that'd be great...
I'm in the same boat as you are. My truck (Ford F-350 dually) was ordered in September. Just finally got the Window sticker yesterday (The 9th) with a "sent to factory date of the 7th. I'm not anticipating getting it before New Years, but the fact that it's not being built, is encouraging.
As far as your power issue, I highly recommend the 4 6volt batteries and a cheap starter battery for the Generator. I isolated the battery, and put a small harbor freight 4 amp charger on it for when the generator is running. those trojans will let you get a good nights sleep while not worrying about the fridge. just don't use to many other things at night.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #29
jimborokz

That still seems like a bit of a draw. That current draw is only when it is running (cycling). Our original hybrid marine battery went 8 hours once during a power outage that lasted 13 hours. I wanted something better and installed a 200ahr true deep cycle battery. I have tested it for a few hours with only a slight drain on the battery. My intent was just to make it through an overnight without hookups and have some to spare if I needed heat. It is my understanding that the inverter will shut down at 11volts input.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:41 AM   #30
BeemerJoe

I'm not sure how much longer it would have gone, but I think I'll give it a try again today and see. I was going via an app and transmitter for my battery power, and just ran out of time.. It may have been able to go 4 or 5 hours more..
My biggest concern was that it lasts thru the night, and it did.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #31
Javi

For those with a WFCO WF-5110R inverter... the Low Battery light will come on a 11 volt... the inverter will shut off at 10 volts..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #32
CampNBrew2

What are the specs of your antenna booster? Has it failed? That is a lot of draw.

I like the idea of a res fridge simply because they carry more insulation, which theoretically would allow them to run less. Do have to watch the heaters in them though.

When replacing our little fridge, I almost bit on the new 12v compressor models, but decided to stay LPG since we mostly boondock.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote