Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
Getn off

Add shocks?

Got the urge to add shocks to my non Keystone triple axel Cyclone. Reason? Figured it should help soften the ride and keep wear and tear down. No real issue yet (1+ year old) but thinking proactively. Have an appointment for the jack recall and figured I would get a quote for it.
They haven’t gotten back on a price as of yet, but wondering what I am getting myself into here.
Anyone recently have shocks added? Can you give me a price you paid per axel? Yes, I realize it will vary immensely, but would like to get a rough ballpark before I hear back.
Also, those that have done it, was it worth it? Or are ya just trying to justify the cost to yourself! Lol
If it matters, I do use a Trail Saver air ride hitch…which I absolutely love. Ride is amazing.
Thanks.
Troy
Btw, it has the upgraded CRE sometinorudder suspension!
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Others will chime in that have done it but the only ones I've ever seen had the shocks mounted at about a 45 degree angle which didn't seem to me would do much good so was never interested. When you get that quote you might want to go through exactly how/what they intend to do with the placement of the shocks.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Javi

Look at the Roadmaster shock setup
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #4
rhagfo

I installed shocks on our Copper Canyon and had a noticeable difference.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several ways to "dampen road vibrations" in a travel trailer.

The first is to use an equalizer between the springs rather than a spring hanger. That's the most basic, rudimentary way to "share the vibrations between axles"...

Second is to use a "cushioned equalizer". Most "upgrade trailers" were using the CRE 3000 or CRE 4000 system until recently, when Lippert introduced their road armor series". These types of equalizers use a "slotted attachment that allows increased spring hanger movement and have rubber dampers at the ends of travel to help absorb the road vibrations.

Third is shocks on each end of the axle, usually as a "shock absorber kit" that's bolted to the axle at the U bolts. Depending on the angle of installation and the attachment point on the trailer frame, some installations are significantly better at preventing road shock from reaching the frame.

Fourth is "torsion suspension" which mounts the axle beam in a rubber structure and helps to reduce the vibrations from reaching the trailer frame by eliminating any "metal to metal contact".

Then there are any number of combinations of the above, some improve the ride better than others, some don't....

For most people, the first (metal equalizer) is the basic OEM installation.

For those with more upgraded trailers, the second, the cushioned equalizer is pretty much the solution for most trailers.

Shock absorbers "used to be installed on all luxury trailers" in the past. All Airstream, Silver Streak, Avion and that class trailer came with shocks. They "rode much better" but the cost of hanging onto the best solution may be one of the reasons all of them (except Airstream) are no longer being produced.

Other manufacturers "trimmed the fat" by eliminating the components that were not "absolutely needed" in an effort to stay in business and settled (compromised) on those that could be "cheapened without consumers objecting too much"... In other words, they cut out shocks, compromised by installing a cheaper rubber equalizer and if the customer wants a better ride, let them install the shocks after the sale (where it doesn't affect the manufacturer's profit margin)...

Shocks help in nearly every towing situation, but the question becomes, "Will the cost be worthwhile" ??? For most, the CRE 3000/CRE 4000 is sufficient. That said, typically installing shocks AND the CRE system/road armor system will improve the ride over just the "cushioned equalizer".

Correction: I misrepresented the "ROAD MASTER" brand (not a Lippert product) with the ROAD ARMOR brand which is marketed by Lippert. I've corrected this post by identifying the road master/road armor error in red.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
Javi

This is not a Lippert part.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...r/RM-2460.html
Old 08-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You're right. Road Master is not a LCI product. LCI's enhanced equalizer is branded "Road Armor"... Thanks. I've corrected my previous post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

I have a booklet on another brand. This is their bullet points to sell shocks.
"Up to 25% more control" "removes wheel hop" "adds stability" and these next do not mean a thing to me, just sales hype "tow ready" "electronic stability control ready" "off road capable."
Since shocks function is to control bounce, I think they are good. But is cost vs outcome might be up the the individual. There could be some RVs that it's worth every penny and others not so much. I cannot think of any reason they would make towing worse. In the last year, I got KYBs for the f350 at 175 each front and rears 202 per shock. Bilstein's for the hummer were 76 each. There are not cheap.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're right. Road Master is not a LCI product. LCI's enhanced equalizer is branded "Road Armor"... Thanks. I've corrected my previous post.
I'm most likely going to have these installed along with disc brakes by Performance Trailer Braking this fall. Got to get thru a funeral and the associated legal and family issues and then get back to the fun stuff.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
Getn off

Wow, thanks for all the insight here gents. Yes, I have the CRE 3000 currently as well as the air ride hitch. I guess my reasoning is, if I spent 100k on a trailer, another grand or 2 ain't nothin so might as well get them. Problem is, I have zero idea what it would run.
The ride really changed with the air ride, and I guess I am hoping the shocks will help even more. Don't know really.
Again, its not like things are falling out if cabinets and trim falling off.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, just doing some of the math, the "tandem axle RoadMaster shock kit" is $516, the add on kit for triple axle units is $270. Parts (from eTrailer.com) would run $786. Most shops will add on 10% to cover incidentals, so figure another $100, making parts around $886. Labor would probably run 2 hours per axle, so estimate 6 hours. A shop rate of $135 would put labor at around $810. If the shop rate was $175 per hour, figure $1050.

Total "guesstimate" would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $1700 on the low end and around $1900 on the high end. If the shop labor rate is higher, the cost would go up based on that "per hour rate". I'm "guessing" that 2 hours per axle would be the "low end". That said, if the shop figures 4 hours per axle, then the labor rate would double these figures, putting the cost closer to 2500 - 3000....

Using the Lippert shock kit, you may save a few dollars on parts, labor would probably be the same. I'd suspect the hardware parts are "near same quality". Depending on the quality of the actual shock absorbers, you may not get the same longevity or the same damping quality from an inferior shock absorber. I'm not suggesting that Lippert's shocks are "inferior", I'm just saying that they may not be the same quality as the Road Master shocks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Well, just doing some of the math, the "tandem axle RoadMaster shock kit" is $516, the add on kit for triple axle units is $270. Parts (from eTrailer.com) would run $786. Most shops will add on 10% to cover incidentals, so figure another $100, making parts around $886. Labor would probably run 2 hours per axle, so estimate 6 hours. A shop rate of $135 would put labor at around $810. If the shop rate was $175 per hour, figure $1050.

Total "guesstimate" would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $1700 on the low end and around $1900 on the high end. If the shop labor rate is higher, the cost would go up based on that "per hour rate". I'm "guessing" that 2 hours per axle would be the "low end". That said, if the shop figures 4 hours per axle, then the labor rate would double these figures, putting the cost closer to 2500 - 3000....

Using the Lippert shock kit, you may save a few dollars on parts, labor would probably be the same. I'd suspect the hardware parts are "near same quality". Depending on the quality of the actual shock absorbers, you may not get the same longevity or the same damping quality from an inferior shock absorber. I'm not suggesting that Lippert's shocks are "inferior", I'm just saying that they may not be the same quality as the Road Master shocks.
I would love to hear Chuckster estimate on the labor time. Unless something needs to be moved 2 hours per axle seems like plenty of time.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I would love to hear Chuckster estimate on the labor time. Unless something needs to be moved 2 hours per axle seems like plenty of time.
Look at it from the "business perspective"... You don't really want to do the job, you don't specialize in doing the job, you aren't really dependent on the job as you have far more work than you can keep up with already (appointments scheduled 6 weeks out)... Would you "risk underbidding" the manhours and losing money on a job you really don't want to do???

Me neither....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Look at it from the "business perspective"... You don't really want to do the job, you don't specialize in doing the job, you aren't really dependent on the job as you have far more work than you can keep up with already (appointments scheduled 6 weeks out)... Would you "risk underbidding" the manhours and losing money on a job you really don't want to do???

Me neither....
This is exactly why about 99% of the time I turn my own wrenches!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
This is exactly why about 99% of the time I turn my own wrenches!
Yep, me too... But that doesn't change the "business perspective" at an establishment that's sole purpose is to put food on the table for the business owner and his employees... They aren't there to be benevolent, they're there to get paid (usually very well) for the service they provide.

I've never seen a RV service department with a 501c tax exempt non-profit certificate hanging on the wall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Got the urge to add shocks to my non Keystone triple axel Cyclone. Reason? Figured it should help soften the ride and keep wear and tear down. No real issue yet (1+ year old) but thinking proactively. Have an appointment for the jack recall and figured I would get a quote for it.
They haven’t gotten back on a price as of yet, but wondering what I am getting myself into here.
Anyone recently have shocks added? Can you give me a price you paid per axel? Yes, I realize it will vary immensely, but would like to get a rough ballpark before I hear back.
Also, those that have done it, was it worth it? Or are ya just trying to justify the cost to yourself! Lol
If it matters, I do use a Trail Saver air ride hitch…which I absolutely love. Ride is amazing.
Thanks.
Troy
Btw, it has the upgraded CRE sometinorudder suspension!
Take a look at Sumo Springs. They are a progressive spring that act like both a shock absorber and a spring. You get up to 500 lbs. of resistance at 50% compression. Having them installed as soon as I get my rig back from the dealer. Know a couple folks that have them and have made a huge difference. Lots of good reviews. Easy to install. This is another option for you.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #17
wesaysoracing

I have the road armor pin box and equalizers, compared to conventional Equalizers, I don’t feel the double bumps when the trailer goes over a bump as I do with the conventional
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote