Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2021, 04:51 AM   #1
Steven1961

Flattening Leaf springs

Hello everyone! I've recently purchased a 2021 Fuzion 369. We've only used it 3 times so far and have noticed the leaf springs no longer have a nice curvature! They've begun to flatten out, ALREADY! What gives, here . . . only about 1800 miles, and certainly not overloaded. Has anyone else realized this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	34514   Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	34515   Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	34516  
Steven1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would be contacting my selling dealer and showing them those pics. I’ve seen spring packs flatten out on different brands and various sized trailers. You might ask for heavier springs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1961 View Post
Hello everyone! I've recently purchased a 2021 Fuzion 369. We've only used it 3 times so far and have noticed the leaf springs no longer have a nice curvature! They've begun to flatten out, ALREADY! What gives, here . . . only about 1800 miles, and certainly not overloaded. Has anyone else realized this issue?
Maybe in the frenzy of completing trailers in a high demand year they installed the wrong spring pack and possibly axles on your trailer.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Maybe in the frenzy of completing trailers in a high demand year they installed the wrong spring pack and possibly axles on your trailer.
Wrong axles: Possibly, Wrong spring packs: Doubtful... Lippert ships the axles/springs as a unit to Keystone. All they do is pull them from stock and install them on the spring hangers while the frame is "upside down" at the head of the assembly line....

Entirely possible that Keystone pulled axle/spring assemblies from the wrong pile, very unlikely that they "installed the wrong springs" on an axle assembly. That's done "miles from Keystone"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	34519   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT AXLES.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	34520  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Steven1961

Thanks for the replies. I've contacted the dealership, but have only received an automated reply. It is a Holiday weekend, so I'll give them a few days. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into a cluster *$&k!!. The axles are 7k, but they might not be spec'ed for this trailer. And the fun begins. Thanks again
Steven1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I've contacted the dealership, but have only received an automated reply. It is a Holiday weekend, so I'll give them a few days. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into a cluster *$&k!!. The axles are 7k, but they might not be spec'ed for this trailer. And the fun begins. Thanks again
First, your trailer has a "weight certification placard" on the front roadside corner. Check the "Axle weight ratings" listed on that placard, crawl under your trailer and make sure the axles are "rated the same as that placard.... If the "math on the placard and the label on the axles both match, chances are that the axles are the correct ones....

That doesn't mean the springs are correct or that even if they are the right ones, they're not "defective or inferior quality".... Just that "the numbers match"...

Then crawl around in your wheelwells and look for any signs of rubbing/contact between the tire tread and the DARCO lining in the wheelwells... DARCO is fairly fragile so if there's been any rubbing, you'll see it directly above the tires.

I think your "dealer's argument" and "Keystone's argument" will boil down to the wheelwell clearance. If it's adequate for suspension travel without damage to the wheelwells, and the axles are the same as the ratings on the weight placard, they likely won't be agreeable to any "axle/spring swap"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
With a GVWR of 17,000 lbs subtract the "empty pin weight" of 3015 equals 13,985 for the axles to support opr a whopping 15 lb (7.5lbs per axle) cushion according to the published numbers. Obviously those are not realistic numbers as we all know the pin weight would be much greater than the "published" numbers.

If it were me, I would hit the scales and have the weight slip at the ready incase someone plays the "overloaded card".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Hblick48

My rig came from the factory with 6,000 pound axles and 2,500 pound springs. After I got the rig, I put on a new set of tires and did a cross country trip. 3/4 way through the trip, all 4 new tires were extremely worn on the inside. Replaced springs with 3,000 pound ones (1 extra leaf). New set of tires later, they wore evenly on next cross country trip. I kept a log of tread wear the whole trip.

Keystone probably saved a couple of bucks, bit it cost me a set of tires, springs, and a bunch of my labor.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote