Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Camping family

Overnight stop

For all you experienced campers. This is going to be our first long trip with our 2020 29 rks. We have made small trips 4-6 hours and spent a few days. However, in august we will be making a trip from Nc to the upper part of Michigan which is to far for a none stop drive. So we are planing to lay over at a camp ground in West Va which is about 1/2 way. Thinking about an 8 hr drive and then stop just to rest and sleep. My plan is this. Just connect shore power. Don’t unhook 5th wheel. Question would opening the bedroom slide be fine and maybe the entertainment slide? Or should we leave the slides in. I don’t want to completely set up camp since we will be pulling out early the next morning.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
For all you experienced campers. This is going to be our first long trip with our 2020 29 rks. We have made small trips 4-6 hours and spent a few days. However, in august we will be making a trip from Nc to the upper part of Michigan which is to far for a none stop drive. So we are planing to lay over at a camp ground in West Va which is about 1/2 way. Thinking about an 8 hr drive and then stop just to rest and sleep. My plan is this. Just connect shore power. Don’t unhook 5th wheel. Question would opening the bedroom slide be fine and maybe the entertainment slide? Or should we leave the slides in. I don’t want to completely set up camp since we will be pulling out early the next morning.
You will be just fine doing that....PROVIDED that the camper is mostly level...both front to back and side to side. Operating slides when a trailer is not level sometimes puts a lot of unnecessary strain and misalignment on the slide unless it is mostly level. I have a couple of fairly large slide on my 5ver for the living room/kitchen area and I would not attempt to do it unless the trailer was almost as level as it is when I setup camp and use my auto levelling system.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we "overnight" at a campground, I usually lower the front landing gear to stabilize the trailer and plug in the shore power cord. I might raise the antenna if it's early enough and if we need to dump the tanks or fill the fresh water, I'll do the sewer hose/FW hose. If we don't need to do anything to the trailer, we just connect to shore power for Air Conditioning and stabilize the trailer so it's "close to level" and open the slides.

You'll need the trailer "close to level" anyway to prevent damage to the refrigerator and to keep from rolling out of the bed.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When we "overnight" at a campground, I usually lower the front landing gear to stabilize the trailer and plug in the shore power cord. I might raise the antenna if it's early enough and if we need to dump the tanks or fill the fresh water, I'll do the sewer hose/FW hose. If we don't need to do anything to the trailer, we just connect to shore power for Air Conditioning and stabilize the trailer so it's "close to level" and open the slides.

You'll need the trailer "close to level" anyway to prevent damage to the refrigerator and to keep from rolling out of the bed.....
So I’m guessing when you level you are using blocks or something under the tires to lever and not trying to use the auto level since it’s not unhooked.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
dutchmensport

If you are staying at the Huntington - Fox Fire KOA in West Virginia, you'll have a good night sleep. You CANNOT follow your GPS to get to that KOA any more. The road coming off the I-64 for that exit is now gone - completely. If coming from the South, North bound, you'll take "Mall Road" in Barboursville, turn left, then left again and go South again for a couple miles. The KOA will be on the left. It's a nice KOA, kind of cramped, but a great KOA for an overnight.

Yes, I always unhook my fifth wheel, and level before extracting slides. I've had 2 broken cables on my slides, I don't want any more.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
So I’m guessing when you level you are using blocks or something under the tires to lever and not trying to use the auto level since it’s not unhooked.
I can "usually" (not always) pull forward/back until the bubble on my level gauge on the pinbox shows level side to side. Then there's no need for blocks under the tires. But, if I can't find a level spot, yes I slip a couple of orange plastic blocks under the tires on the low side.

There's no need (IMHO) to be precise in leveling. As long as you're "comfortably close" you'll be OK. I always extend my slides and have no concerns about extending them with the trailer "fairly close and stabilized with the front jacks"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote