Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
jwfrede

Reese Titan 16k Hitch

I'm having a Reese Titan 16k Hitch installed on an F-350 to pull a 2020 Cougar 27SGS. Does anyone have experience with this hitch?

I am hoping to put a tonneau cover on the truck so I can cover the hitch after parking the rig. I have read that the trailer sits a little lower on the Reese hitch. Does anyone out there have a Reese hitch and a tonneau cover? I am trying to figure out if I can get a hard side tonneau cover on. I'm fairly sure there are some soft covers that will work but hoping to find a hard side for security. Any info on hard or soft covers would be appreciated.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I'm having a Reese Titan 16k Hitch installed on an F-350 to pull a 2020 Cougar 27SGS. Does anyone have experience with this hitch?

I am hoping to put a tonneau cover on the truck so I can cover the hitch after parking the rig. I have read that the trailer sits a little lower on the Reese hitch. Does anyone out there have a Reese hitch and a tonneau cover? I am trying to figure out if I can get a hard side tonneau cover on. I'm fairly sure there are some soft covers that will work but hoping to find a hard side for security. Any info on hard or soft covers would be appreciated.
I have a soft cover on my Ram 3500. Had a backflip and it wouldn’t work with my hitch on my old Ram 2500. If you lower it enough to clear it may make the bed rails too close to the fifth wheel. I do have bungy cords to help keep the hitch from moving around too much. I really don’t think hard tonneau covers are any more “ secure” then soft covers..if someone wants to get in,they will
Old 06-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
JDDilly

I have a 2018 RAM 3500 with a Titan 20K. I have a a hard RAM cover made by Bakflip. Works fine.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
I have a 2018 RAM 3500 with a Titan 20K. I have a a hard RAM cover made by Bakflip. Works fine.
Maybe mine wasn’t adjusted low enough.. it would just hit and I was afraid it would dent it Edit: I remember now it was the handle that was hitting..I drilled a new hole to spin the handle while the cover was on...I think mine is a 3 section and I didn’t like how much space it took up when folded forward and I couldn’t see the hitch easily...I still have it to use on my other truck whenever I get around to it...I bought a gator roll up on Amazon and it’s been great ..I usually go for the best but I’ve been pleasantly surprised how good it looks. Almost completely flat. And durable
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
jwfrede

Quote:
Is that a 3 section or 4 section cover? I have a 6.75' bed and thought I might need the 4 section type to clear the hitch.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have a soft cover on my Ram 3500. Had a backflip and it wouldn’t work with my hitch on my old Ram 2500. If you lower it enough to clear it may make the bed rails too close to the fifth wheel. I do have bungy cords to help keep the hitch from moving around too much. I really don’t think hard tonneau covers are any more “ secure” then soft covers..if someone wants to get in,they will
I've seen the soft covers and it looks like all you need is a knife and about 2 seconds to look inside. Someone down the block may not even notice. I think you would need some tools and it would take a couple minutes. Sometimes the idea is to make it just a little harder and they'll go after something else.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
JDDilly

I had a soft cover on a previous truck, and you are correct. Went out one morning and cover was sliced open and a Honda 2000 generator and tools gone.

I have an 8' box, so that is 4 sections. The 6.75' box uses a 3 section cover. I have had both and they worked fine.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 06-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I had a soft cover on a previous truck, and you are correct. Went out one morning and cover was sliced open and a Honda 2000 generator and tools gone.

I have an 8' box, so that is 4 sections. The 6.75' box uses a 3 section cover. I have had both and they worked fine.

The BakFlip on my 6'5" Ram bed has 4 sections.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I've seen the soft covers and it looks like all you need is a knife and about 2 seconds to look inside. Someone down the block may not even notice. I think you would need some tools and it would take a couple minutes. Sometimes the idea is to make it just a little harder and they'll go after something else.
Quote:

I don’t have anything in the back that I would worry about...you guys must travel with all your valuables back there.. when I bring my generator I have it locked with a motorcycle chain to the bed of the truck. I have a jeep with a soft top..I leave the doors unlocked all the time.I’d rather lose a $120 tonneau cover then have someone destroy a hard cover trying to see what’s inside. Any tools go in my fifth wheel basement or back floor of truck.. I leave my boat unlocked all winter while it’s stored on land in a marina for the same reason. The only reason I even have a tonneau cover is because I like to cover my fifth wheel hitch.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
JDDilly

Thanks, I was wrong. It was a few years ago, but I thought mine was 3 sections on my short box.

My other reason I have the hard cover is snow. When I had a soft cover, it would sag from the weight. After a few years it would tighten up.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 06-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks, I was wrong. It was a few years ago, but I thought mine was 3 sections on my short box.

My other reason I have the hard cover is snow. When I had a soft cover, it would sag from the weight. After a few years it would tighten up.
You have a good point about the snow.

Tags
hitch