Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
tazzerblue

Fifth Wheel pin box, and RAM Box?

What works? Last camper I had it didn't work! I bought an Anderson hitch as I have a gooseneck ball. Not enough clearence. So I ordered a new Truck with Ram Box, and puck system. What Pin Box will work??? Dealers are NO Help, either truck or camper dealers.
tazzerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzerblue View Post
What works? Last camper I had it didn't work! I bought an Anderson hitch as I have a gooseneck ball. Not enough clearence. So I ordered a new Truck with Ram Box, and puck system. What Pin Box will work??? Dealers are NO Help, either truck or camper dealers.

Check this out
Old 02-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
I have a '12 RAM 3500 DRW with an 8' box. It was just a plain box and I installed the B&W turn over goose neck ball hitch and then purchased their B&W 20k# Companion fifth wheel hitch.

I'm kind of thinking about updating my TV to a '19 or newer RAM 3500 DRW 8' box and I asked B&W if their companion hitch will drop into the RAM puck center goose neck hole and they said no. The RAM has a bearing setup apparently to let the ball rotate with the goose neck trailer etc. They did say that I could remove the factory goose neck and replace it with their goose neck like on my '12 and then my companion would drop right in. It would also allow for another 4-pin puck style fifth wheel hitch to still work as well.

The only reason I would even think about replacing the factory goose neck would be so I can keep my total B&W fifth wheel hitch setup. I believe the B&W goose neck is cheaper than a new fifth wheel hitch. Although a well maintained 20k# B&W fifth wheel hitch would probably be sellable for a fair chunk of change.

If I sold my '12 RAM "with" the hitch, then I would just purchase a new B&W 4-pin puck fifth wheel hitch and go that route.

But if you have nothing now, B&W also makes an automatic slider fifth wheel hitch I believe and that would be a good way to go. But an 8' box on a 3500 eliminates the need for a slider.

Sorry for rambling, but I would check out what B&W can offer you. I've been VERY happy with my setup. I'm sure many others here have just the same feeling with their setup with a different brand. I think they are all good, but some are much BETTER than others...

Good luck with your hitch research. I'm sure many more will reply to your thread with much more experience than me.

Dan
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
ewbldavis

Quote:
When you say not enough clearance, where?

Just curious. I have Andersen and a short bed. I have plenty of turn clearance, vertical clearance, etc. My pin box is a roto-flex with the rigid kit from Andersen to keep it from pivoting.

Is it the narrow bed and issues with turning? Maybe this: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...SABEgItIPD_BwE

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
When you say not enough clearance, where?

Just curious. I have Andersen and a short bed. I have plenty of turn clearance, vertical clearance, etc. My pin box is a roto-flex with the rigid kit from Andersen to keep it from pivoting.

Is it the narrow bed and issues with turning? Maybe this: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...SABEgItIPD_BwE
He has a ram box bed....it is a bit narrower then a conventional bed so it hits when turning
Old 02-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #6
KimNTerry

I believe he means the pin box hitting the sides of the truck when turning. I have an Andersen hitch and had to raise the ball a notch to keep the pin box from hitting the rails for my tonneau cover.

About the only option for a Fifth Wheel with the Ram Box boxes will be the king pin shown in the video above that sends the rotation point back to the trailer.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
tazzerblue

Clearance over the side of the box and the pin box. Less than 2inches, on level ground. Pin boxes turn inside the pickup box. and the Ram Box is only 51" wide. I tried raising the the camper on the pin box. But you have to have the camper running level. I'm contacting Lippert mfg. about their pin boxes.
tazzerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
tech740

With a Rambox truck you will likely need a sidewinder. It will move the rotating part. They work well but you have to hook and unhook at the same angle. Not always an issue but good to keep in mind.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
With a Rambox truck you will likely need a sidewinder. It will move the rotating part. They work well but you have to hook and unhook at the same angle. Not always an issue but good to keep in mind.
Sidewinder or Reese Revaluation. A standard pin box will not work with Ram Box.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
ewbldavis

link I shared is Sidewinder.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel