Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe View Post
Sourdough, I have no interest in engaging in a debate with you. I just get tired of viewing all of these weight related posts that are provided by folks with the supposed expert knowledge to do so, hence the term "geniuses". I do know a little about weight limits and towing having owned a towing business and have been an RV'er for many years. If I exceeded my weight limits in my towing business the Washington State Patrol would take joy in letting me know. I believe that the poster of this post has done her due diligence and used the correct specifications to arrive at her conclusion. I also know that manufactures build in a substantial safety margin to their specifications. IMO the well meaning posters are taking all of the joy out of the original posters purchase. Have a happy 4th!

I was not, and am not, interested in a debate. I simply tried to point out that the statements you referenced were "opinions" from folks with experience towing....exactly what yours are. There is/was no need to use what I consider a belittling term because you disagree with them. That's it. I wish you a happy 4th as well!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Blackrock

The only modifications I made to my 2016 Ram 1500 was to add air bags inside the coils and upgrade the tires to LT's. Alaska and back in 16', all around Arizona summer and fall of 17', full western states National Parks tour in 18, and now in 19' the Southern Utah tour. Tied down now in an RV resort for the summer in the Arizona mountains.

The Ram half ton has never missed a lick coming and going. I am running at 100% the trucks payload rating most all the time. That's why I chose the truck package I did over the offerings of Ford or General Motors.

You will do okay with your truck and trailer and you will learn how it handles in all situations.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #43
ptpick

Annemarie, please don't let the weight police scare you or say you did something really wrong. If the weight police made choices for us all then there is nothing that can tow anything unless it is a diesel, DRW 4x2 preferred. Since you did your research and feel comfortable with what you have, then woohoo, welcome to RV'ing.
ptpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #44
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarie View Post
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the warm welcome and the feedback.

We plan to do an official weigh-in for our peace of mind and to make sure we’re towing safely for ourselves and everyone on the road.
I think this is the right choice ^^^
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #45
mwemaxxowner

I'm somewhere in the middle here, but I think everyone has the best of intentions, and just wants to be sure that you fully understand the jargon and the ratings. I DO think that using a half ton, ANY half ton, means it's going to be more sensitive to improper loading and it's more important that the hitch be dialed in. Sometimes it's also just necessary to flat slow down when maybe you wouldn't have with a 3/4 or more. With my old super duty I'd drag any load as fast as my tires and traffic would allow. Last heavy tow with my half ton I was very comfortable at 65, at 70 it would sway under certain conditions. So, 65 it was.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #46
Logan X

I was reading back through this thread and I couldn’t find anywhere where anyone suggested the OP needed to get a bigger truck. Every post I could find was just trying to help explain how the numbers and ratings worked so the OP would have the best information.

And in post #5, the OP asked if her tow vehicle had the necessary capability. No advice was given before it was asked for.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #47
RickReichert

Welcome to the world of RVing! Your setup looks great and I'm sure you'll have many happy times with it. As you've discovered, there are strong opinions about trucks, trailers, towing capacities, load ratings, etc. etc. etc. It sounds to me like you've done your best before buying, and only time will tell how it will work out. A lot depends on how you load the trailer; how much water, food, clothing, tools, etc. I would recommend weighing the truck at a certified scale to get accurate weights. Before weighing load load the truck with all of the things you'd normally take camping and fill the fuel tank. After you have those weights, load up the trailer like you are going camping, and weigh again. Once you have weights for each axle you can do the math to see where you really stand. Hopefully you'll be fine on all axles and total weight.

If you end up below the weight limits on all counts you can always add air bags or other stability-improving devices to your truck if you feel like it needs it. However if you end up over-weight on the truck, then it will be time to consider getting a beefier tow vehicle. As others here have said you'll generally run out of truck GVWR before you run out of GCVWR. I would add that the transmission, driveline, and brakes on 3/4 ton trucks are generally more robust than on 1/2 ton trucks, so you might get longer life out of a 3/4 ton. The trailer will not push a 3/4 ton truck around as much as a 1/2 ton, which makes driving more pleasurable, too.

Safe travels!
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #48
falcondan95705

We used a 92 Dodge Dakota V8 magnum 3.92 gears, shortbed 4x4 to pull a 19 foot 5ver... It did GREAT...
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #49
annmarie

Starting New Thread in Tow Vehicles Forum

Hello all, thanks for the contributions! We've weighed ourself on a CAT scale and I'm going to start a new thread on the Tow Vehicles forum. If you feel so inclined to continue contributing, head on over there
annmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer