Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Leaking Tanks - Soft Floors

We've had some discussions about leaking tanks and several about soft floors. Well....

On the trip to FL this year we thought we heard a leak; small but could see a spot under the trailer, then it would disappear. Looked hi and lo for a leak in the trailer and found none. It kept reappearing then disappearing. After a while DW asked if I thought the floor at the end of the island was getting soft. I tried it and thought it might be but had just switched to tennis shoes due to a problem I was having with my foot and couldn't really tell. At times it felt like it might be a bit soft, then it was OK.

Finally I saw the drip continue for a while and determined it had to be the fresh water tank or galley gray tank. Made sure the fresh tank was empty and it persisted. Started draining the gray tank every day and it stopped. As we drained every day and the leak stopped the floor got noticeably stiffer.

Brought it home and took it in to have them give me new batteries and check the gray tank. Initially they said it had split and was covered by extended warranty. Yesterday evening they called and things had changed;
The leak was not caused by a split tank, instead when the trailer was built someone left several larger screws on top of it, shoved it into place against the floor and secured the tank. Over the thousands of miles it has covered the screws wore holes in the top of the tank and caused it to leak thereby dampening the floor. They are in the process of putting it all back together after replacing the tank.

All that to just throw out that if you have what seems like a leaky tank, or a floor getting soft, it could be something as weird as that. Just a heads up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Tbos

Wow, that’s just crazy. Strange things really do happen in the factories. Thanks to this forum I was alerted to a possible screw from the bottom going up into the black tank. That was on my last TT. The screw was for the bracket holding the propane line. As we traveled it was wearing a hole in the bottom. The forum alerted me before it poked through. Did the repair, replaced the screw with a nut an bolt facing out. Also placed some closed cell foam between the bolt and tank. Lots of miles later no problems.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Gegrad

That's a weird one Danny. The saddest part of that is it was pure sloppiness from the factory that caused that, not lack of maintenance or anything on your part.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, leak, tank