Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Cowdogs

Carlisle CSL16 235/80R-16

Anyone try the CSL16's? I just ordered a set for my carbon 347. I did not find any reviews on them but I have had good luck so far with Carlisle's on other lighter trailers.
Cowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Wing-in-it

i have not.....but have the Trail HD and like them.

Carlisle’s customer service is outstanding, I had a blow out with one and contacted them...they replaced it and shipped to me at no cost. Got it in 2 days.

I think I might try these next go around!

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Just about all of the major manufacturer's of ST tires are now building this steel cased tire in the two designated sizes listed here by Carlisle. There is also a 3rd size (ST225/75R15 LRF) already on the market.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl-16
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Just about all of the major manufacturer's of ST tires are now building this steel cased tire in the two designated sizes listed here by Carlisle. There is also a 3rd size (ST225/75R15 LRF) already on the market.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl-16
I thought you did not like steel ply carcass tires on trailers, having repeatedly posted over many years about the damage they do when they fail??? Confused
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I thought you did not like steel ply carcass tires on trailers, having repeatedly posted over many years about the damage they do when they fail??? Confused
I've never approved of tire misapplications. Replacing an Original Equipment ST tire with a LT tire that is not a designated trailer tire is and always has been a misapplication.

Read the post. I provided a reference for information purposes, not as a recommendation.

The steel cased tire disintegrates differently than a polyester tire. The zipper rupture is more dangerous for people in the vicinity of the tire when it fails. Owners of trailers using steel cased tires should become aware of the explosive forces of the zipper rupture.

Another danger of the steel cased tire is it's sidewall construction. When fatigued to the point of initial tread separation failure, little broken wires will start protruding from the sidewall. Those owners that manually check their tires for excessive heat during rest stops can be harmed by those wire protrusions.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:51 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Let's get back to the OP's original questions. Do you have experience with these tires and what were your thoughts on them?

Let's leave the hypotheticals to another discussion.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
i have not.....but have the Trail HD and like them.

Carlisle’s customer service is outstanding, I had a blow out with one and contacted them...they replaced it and shipped to me at no cost. Got it in 2 days.

I think I might try these next go around!
I put Radial Trail HDs on our Cougar X-Lite this summer. Only have about 2,000 miles on them but like them so far.

We purchased at Discount Tire. The matched Wally World on price and the service was second to none.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I put Radial Trail HDs on our Cougar X-Lite this summer. Only have about 2,000 miles on them but like them so far.

We purchased at Discount Tire. The matched Wally World on price and the service was second to none.
Most Discount Tire stores now stock the GY Endurance and recommend them to their customers. And yes Discount has good service. Chris