Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Morryde independent suspension?

Who has it & do you like it? Is it as smooth as they say? Can it be self installed?

http://www.morryde.com/products/87-i...2F4-suspension
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Who has it & do you like it? Is it as smooth as they say? Can it be self installed?

I don't have it ,but have several friends that do & they will swear it's worth every penny. Able to leave a cup of coffee on the bar, travel all day & cup hasn't moved or spilled.
No it's not a DIY project, MorRyde takes several measurements & weights, cuts ALL the existing suspension off, welds appropriate height frame extensions, welds new suspension in place & does all necessary alignments, all of which takes a couple days in their shop & allows you to spend the night in your rv during the process.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
hardinrob

I had MORryde install Independent Suspension (IS) in June of this year on my Montana. The change is remarkable in the way my Montana pulls. I can say that we left a tupperware container on the kitchen island by mistake before a 450 mile trip. To my surprise, the tupperware was right where we had left it before the trip. My intent when installing was/is to prevent as much damage as possible to my Montana from the less than perfect roads. When doing the IS, I also had Kodiak Disc Brakes, MORryde Rubber Pin Box and 17.5 Wheels and Goodyear G114 (H rated tires) installed. I have placed about 1500 miles since having MORryde install the above components and couldn't be happier. The real confirmation for me came after our last trip when my wife said the following, "That stuff you had put on the camper really makes riding while pulling the camper so much more enjoyable".
As for doing this yourself, I know that I would not tackle the MORryde IS myself as there are many measurements made and lots of welding needed to complete the job. My installer at MORryde was Sergio and he did an amazing job and explained everything to me as he completed the work. If you decide to do the upgrade to MORryde IS, do yourself a favor and contact Rob Kolean @ MORryde and discuss your options.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 AM   #4
mazboy

The IS system is installed at MorRyde. No, you can't install it yourself.

Bottom line is do you want to spend the $6-8K to get it???????

They say that it is a smoother ride and with disc brakes you brake better. My question always is do you really have to worry about a 'smoother' ride since you are not in the trailer. And as for the brakes, regular brakes have worked fine for the past 17 years. And of course you have insurance as a backup.

And the IS does go out of alignment. Friend had to pay $600+ to get his re aligned.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
travelin texans

I priced just the IS a couple years ago & was quoted, if I recall, $3800, with disc brakes was $6100, don't have the paper work so that's going from memory, which ain't too good anymore, but I do know it wasn't $6-8k for IS only. My friends stop by MorRyde when in the area & get "free" inspections & alignments if needed.
I did do Titan disc brakes & 17.5" wheels with Sailun tires & that was $4000 installed, best money I've spent in upgrades, would HIGHLY recommend the disc brakes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post

Have it, like it.

I've pulled a lot of various trailer types / styles, and the torsion axle suspension geometry always "performs" better.

You know it's not really just about "smooth". There is just something to be said about tracking and control, range of suspension travel, shocks, etc.. The way your complete unit handles as a system over various road conditions / speeds, VS kind of bouncing down the road. A MorRyde system, I S and rubber pin box can make for a more pleasant towing experience. Only you know how much actual towing you do and what your experience is like. No two setups are the same.

Also, the disc brake experience is rather profound. But understandably it can often be difficult to justify the added expense.

Not a DIY project, short of the near journeyman level skills, I wouldn't expect they sell the loose suspension components retail.
Best of luck on your research.
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

It's install only at one of there centers, only 2 of them. Elkhart, IN, Bend, OR.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
mazboy

Just call MorRyde and they'll give you the cost and a 3-4 month reservation date. And yes, it will be around $7K+
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Going to do the whole deal with disc brake upgrade in May. I was Quoted 6800.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
reelboys

Installed the MorRyde 400 Wet pins and replaced U bolts in about 6 hours with 1 helper 26 cougar air ride pin box great ride coast 650 in parts Zodiac disc brakes
reelboys is offline   Reply With Quote