Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Sangypa

Water pump on my Premier 34bhps

I just set up my travel trailer and the water pump is running continuously....I then noticed that the drain caps that are underneath the unit and just behind the right tires were leaking....is this leaking causing the water pump to run continuously? Thanks in advance.
Sangypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
dwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangypa View Post
I just set up my travel trailer and the water pump is running continuously....I then noticed that the drain caps that are underneath the unit and just behind the right tires were leaking....is this leaking causing the water pump to run continuously? Thanks in advance.

That would be your low point drains and yes that would cause your pump to run.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, those are the “low point” drains. They will allow all the water in the system to drain out if you take the caps off and open the faucets. They don’t drain the fresh water tank.

Tighten the caps and the pump should stop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Sangypa

Well....the caps have been replaced on the low point drains and they are no longer leaking....but the water pump STILL won't shut off! Anyone have any thought as to what else might be causing the run-on? Again, a sincere THANK YOU for responding to my problem!
Sangypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

First, are you absolutely positive you don't have a leak in the plumbing? If you're sure there's no leak, then:

If there is any air in the plumbing lines and if the water heater is not full, the pump will continue to run. Air in the lines needs to be purged, so open the cold water tap on the faucet closest to the water pump and let water run until it stops sputtering, then the hot water tap on the same sink, then move to the next faucet further from the water pump, do the same, and continue until you've purged all the air out of the plumbing lines. Don't forget the outside shower and the toilet. Then, if the battery or converter is supplying the proper voltage, the pump will pressurize the lines and stop running. If the battery voltage is low (discharged battery) the pump can not get enough electricity to develop enough pressure to activate the pressure switch in the pump.

If this doesn't work, you may have a defective water pump diaphragm or pressure cutoff switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

What is the year of the trailer? Have you used it before? The water system, using the pump, requires that you give it a way to push water out to let the pump charge. If not, it will run forever against a closed system. If it's an old trailer, there could be leaks, a faulty pump etc. You will have to trouble shoot with your knowledge of what you have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump