Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Denver Transplant

Adjusting Dexter Brakes - Two Slots???

I was lubricating the bearings on my 2400BH and also intended to adjust the brakes. However when I looked for the adjusting slot, I found two slots instead of the expected one slot.

I've contacted Dexter and they confirm that the axle number I gave them had manually adjusted brakes. I asked for a manual that would tell me what slot to use, but so far they just sent me a catalog that doesn't include what I'm looking for.

So.... has anyone else dealt with the two slot back plate and have advice on which slot to use. When I saw the two slots I didn't investigate further, hoping that I'd get the information from Dexter, but so far no real help.
Denver Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
tech740

I have the two slot and adjusted mine yesterday. I took them out and figured out which one to use then put the not needed one back and adjusted the brakes. Then put the cover back in the one I used. Assuming it is good.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
dirt33

Only one of the slots is needed to adjust the brakes. There are two slots simply because the backing plate is the same for both sides, whereas the adjuster will be "forward" on one side and "rearward" on the other side. So, basically, you will use the opposite slots on opposite sides of the trailer.

I use a small screwdriver to turn the dial. Just look into the slots with a flashlight if you can, to find the dial. If you can't see in there, just feel your way with the screwdriver. Play around with it a bit, use the screwdriver to turn the dial until the wheel no longer wants to turn. Then, back it off a few clicks until the wheel will turn with just a slight bit of drag. If you are turning and turning the dial and can't get to the wheel to want to stop turning, it probably just means you need to go the opposite direction on the dial. Not hard to do though, you will be able to figure it out.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Pull Toy

The dual slot is about "reversibility" left or right side of axle. You'll only find the star wheel behind one clip, depending on which side you are working on.

It's cheaper to stamp one backing back, and easier to inventory one part number. Kinda' like one side fits all. I had the same arrangement on my '79 horse trailer, so the concept is not new.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Lawdogs

The best way to tell if you have manual or self adjusting brakes is to pull the brake drum off. If you see a cable that runs from the 9 O'clock to the 1 O'clock position, then you have self adjusting brakes. Another way you could tell is by looking in the slots. If the spring is flat and wrapped around the adjuster rod, you have a self adjusting brake. If the spring is curved and below the adjuster, then you have manual adjusting brakes. Hope this helps.

2015 Montana 3721 RL
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Dually
Previous: 2014 Cougar 327 RES High Country
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.7L Cummins, 2002 Coleman Popup, 2012 Wildwood 24RB, 2014 Outback 298RE
Lawdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
gearhead

Get a infrared heat gun if you don't have one. Every time you stop shoot the tires and the brake drums. You will be able to tell the temp difference on the drums close to the bearings or on the OD near the shoes.
I just found one drum running 150 degrees with the others at 90-100. I jacked the trailer up and tightened those shoes then backed off to where I could just barely hear it dragging. I'll know tomorrow if I adjusted it right. Fingers crossed......in the Smokeys.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
dirt33

I bought an infrared temp gun a few months ago, taking gearhead's advice. On our last trip down near Kerrville, as we pulled in I could hear a noise coming from one wheel that just sounded like stress from heat. I noticed that one wheel was 130 or so whereas the others were all in the 90s. I went to pull the drum off of the hot wheel, and the magnet didn't want to let go. Once I got the drum off, I found that the actuator arm was stuck on top of the shoe, due to the bushing at the top of the actuator being worn. The arm would rotate back and forth OK, but every so often instead of returning to its "resting" position, it would instead stick on top of the shoe, leaving the magnet wedged against the drum. A replacement part fixed that issue no problem.

I was glad to have the temp gun. Each time we stop on a trip, I have that gun in hand before I step out of the truck. The 3-4 minutes spent checking temps and air pressures is well worth it. (I do check lugs as well, but not every single time. Usually only check those at the start of a day).
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

As stated above, all the backing plates have two sets of slots since that part is the same for either side. The difference is the magnet arm is forward depending on side. As I remember it, the adjuster is in the forward slot on both sides, and using a brake spoon, pulling down will expand the adjuster making the brakes tighter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
flatlander

In looking at the backing plates on my Passport I see the two slots but the slots are open not closed with the normal oval rubber plugs. Don't know if this is normal but I bought the new plugs at NAPA and will be installing them. Am wondering if the camper came this way from the factory or if the plugs were left out during the annual inspection.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
slow

Mine came from the factory without plugs for the adjustment slots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen both ways from the factory. Were they not installed, fell out because they weren't installed properly, who knows.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote