Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
brittsnbirds

Is my slide out of whack?

I have a '14 Sprinter with the cable slides (living room and bedroom). When I run the bedroom slide in is appeares that the slide moves at the same time all the way around. When I move the living room/dinette slide the bottom moves then the top moves. It is like there is more slack in the top cable then the bottom. Not much but a little.

Should this be a concern??

Also what maintenance should I do to the system? I use "talc" on my seals several times a year.

Thanks

Hey Chuckster I'm still kicking (and working, business has been good).
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

you could extend the slide and then inspect the cables for excess slackness. If the room seals when extended and retracted I might be inclined to leave it alone. Cable adjustments are made at the motor that is located above the slide in the center. I use a step stool so I don't have to remove the facia.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
slow

As a point of reference, BAL recommends 1/2" of slack in the loose cables when the slide is in each of its extreme positions. (When you push at the midpoint of each of the loose cable, it moves 1/2" before coming tight.)

Once you appreciate that you adjust the loose cables not the tight cables to make adjustments, the adjustment procedure is straight forward, assuming you have easy access to the adjusters. the adjusters are located near the motor where the cable attaches to the chain.

With the slide extended, check the loose cables on the outside of the trailer. Adjust if necessary and retract the slide. Now check the loose cables inside the trailer and adjust if necessary. That should complete the adjustment procedure.

Here is the service manual:http://www.norcoind.com/bal/download...ice-manual.pdf
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
dcg9381

interesting.. I'm pretty sure there is zero slack in my cables in either extreme position.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
interesting.. I'm pretty sure there is zero slack in my cables in either extreme position.
Just to clarify: There will be no slack on the tight cables. It is the loose cables that are on the opposite side that are just following along that need to be loose per the 1/2" criteria.

If the slack on the loose cables are about the same and around 1/2", then you are adjusted correctly.

BTW: If the motor is mounted on the bottom of the slide, the bottom of the slide would start moving sooner than the top because of the extra cable to the top that needs to be stretched out. Where is your motor mounted?

Another thought is to check that the pulley mounts on the wall are still tightened to the wall and not moving.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittsnbirds View Post
I have a '14 Sprinter with the cable slides (living room and bedroom). When I run the bedroom slide in is appeares that the slide moves at the same time all the way around. When I move the living room/dinette slide the bottom moves then the top moves. It is like there is more slack in the top cable then the bottom. Not much but a little.

Should this be a concern??

Also what maintenance should I do to the system? I use "talc" on my seals several times a year.
Try watching them move in from inside your trailer. Don't know about the bedroom one, but our three kitchen and living room ones all first 'kick up' something like a half inch in order to come in. There's a small drop down when they are completely extended, so the bottom has to come up a small amount while retracting. Haven't noticed the same on our bedroom slide, but it's made differently than the others.

As to lubricating seals, I use mineral oil. It also works well at cleaning off rubber black marks on the slide sides.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 AM   #7
TomHaycraft

Good education for a Saturday morning! Reading the manual posted earlier in the thread, I couldn't get the concept in my head of how the cables provide the opposing forces.

Wow, pretty simple.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #8
brittsnbirds

Thumbs up It does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Try watching them move in from inside your trailer. Don't know about the bedroom one, but our three kitchen and living room ones all first 'kick up' something like a half inch in order to come in. There's a small drop down when they are completely extended, so the bottom has to come up a small amount while retracting. Haven't noticed the same on our bedroom slide, but it's made differently than the others.

As to lubricating seals, I use mineral oil. It also works well at cleaning off rubber black marks on the slide sides.

Your right it does 'kick up' a little. That's what concerned me. Well if that is normal then I'm good, but will check for the 1/2" slack on the loose side.

Thanks guys.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
tom37

Correct me if this is not right, but I think the slack in the cable is 1/2" up and 1/2" down for a total of 1"slack in cable.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
Desert185

With aircraft control cables slack is measured in one direction only with a cable tension gauge, so 1/2" slack would be 1/2", not 1". I'm guessing trailer slide cables are the same, but perhaps with not the same degree of accuracy required.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
tech740

The kick up is because you have flush mounted slides. They drop down when fully extended to give a smoother transition. The only thing I have ever noticed about these is the manual says you can not put any load on the slide while it is retracted. So no sitting on the couch while pulled in.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote