Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
IA Farmer

xlite 29ROB Switch Panel?

My wife and I just put a deposit on a Cougar Xlite 29ROB. My concern is that that switch panel for the slide outs and light switches is right inside the door and at about chest height. I know that my kids will see the switches and play with them, does anyone make a cover or something so the switches aren't so enticing to play with? I wish that the engineers that designed things put a little more thought into the small details, this is a bunkhouse for children. The panel needs to be behind a cabinet door imo. Thanks
IA Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
busterbrown

Same sentiments here. Our new Bullet has the slide, water heater, water pump, and light switches on a panel just below the center stack TV as you walk in. Our 1 year old can just about touch all of them. I wish engineers installed them up above the TV limiting access to the youngins. Or better yet, behind a locked cabinet door.

A panel cover would be nice!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
cant_remember_ID

My kids have pushed the slide button a few times each, they see what it does, makes a loud noise that I can hear, they get a dirty look and they run away. The novelty has worn off now and they leave it alone. It doesn't really hurt anything for them to hit the buttons now and then.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

There wont be any "over the counter" remedies. About your only option would be to design and build your own or have one custom built. Moving the panel would prove to be a daunting task due to the number of wires let alone fixing the hole left behind.
I bet you could get a sheet of the paneling used on the interior from Keystone, but shipping charges would scare you. Maybe get some wide "trim tape" that matches the wall, then go to your local lumber store and get what you need. I have gotten trim tape as wide as 12", not saying every color/pattern comes that wide but it can't hurt to ask.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
denverpilot

Assuming they still do it on the Laredo models, ours has a "picture frame" with a door hung in it that covers our switch panel in the fiver hallway.

I wonder if you talked to Keystone if you could get them to give you the part number and size of something like that and just screw it into the surround around the panel (carefully of course depending on what's behind there, since I don't know on your setup).

Probably only available in a darker fake wood color, similar to walnut, since that's the predominant color in the Laredo lineup.

Our panel is so high up being that it's on the staircase/hallway area, it wouldn't be easily reached by a toddler, but I can see where a lower one would be a temptation for little fingers.

If you want a photo of what it looks like in the Laredo, let me know.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
IA Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Assuming they still do it on the Laredo models, ours has a "picture frame" with a door hung in it that covers our switch panel in the fiver hallway.

I wonder if you talked to Keystone if you could get them to give you the part number and size of something like that and just screw it into the surround around the panel (carefully of course depending on what's behind there, since I don't know on your setup).

Probably only available in a darker fake wood color, similar to walnut, since that's the predominant color in the Laredo lineup.

Our panel is so high up being that it's on the staircase/hallway area, it wouldn't be easily reached by a toddler, but I can see where a lower one would be a temptation for little fingers.

If you want a photo of what it looks like in the Laredo, let me know.

This could be our best solution. If you get a spare minute a picture would be great. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The manufacturers are caught in the middle on this one. For each owner who would like the switch panel "hidden away" there's someone who wants it moved closer to the entry door (so they can open/close slides and turn on lights) to make it more convenient. One solution is to install a door "over the switch panel. An easy way to do that is to install a 1x2 frame around the panel and mount a "matching" cabinet door to that frame. Sort of an "out of sight out of mind" for the kids. Your dealership should be able to order a "matching cabinet door" for you. All you'd need to do is "cruise" the models they have on the lot, locate a door that's the correct size and show it to them. Keystone cabinet doors are very reasonably priced, the one I ordered for our Springdale in 2012 was less than $20.

Here are pictures of how Cougar did that with one of their fifth wheel models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch compartment.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10330   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch compartment2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	10331  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
IA Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The manufacturers are caught in the middle on this one. For each owner who would like the switch panel "hidden away" there's someone who wants it moved closer to the entry door (so they can open/close slides and turn on lights) to make it more convenient. One solution is to install a door "over the switch panel. An easy way to do that is to install a 1x2 frame around the panel and mount a "matching" cabinet door to that frame. Sort of an "out of sight out of mind" for the kids. Your dealership should be able to order a "matching cabinet door" for you. All you'd need to do is "cruise" the models they have on the lot, locate a door that's the correct size and show it to them. Keystone cabinet doors are very reasonably priced, the one I ordered for our Springdale in 2012 was less than $20.

Thank you for the pictures. That is what I'm going to make. Seems easy enough and will keep it hidden.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

That's nearly identical to what Keystone did in the Laredo, the Laredo one is just much smaller because the switch panel is smaller.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
gearhead

Be aware if you install a door there is the very slim possibility that you occasionally leave it open and walk right into it.
I put some blue painters tape on the inside of the door to increase visibility. I may have to change the tape color to ORANGE.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Be aware if you install a door there is the very slim possibility that you occasionally leave it open and walk right into it.
I put some blue painters tape on the inside of the door to increase visibility. I may have to change the tape color to ORANGE.
Sounds like experience talking.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Sounds like experience talking.
Oh yeah.
I blame it on ball caps. The bill occasionally blocks a few things like cabinet doors, cargo bay doors and slide outs.
I blame the ball caps on a quickly receding head of now white hair.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
denverpilot

I just noticed in photos that Keystone did away with the "picture frame door cover" on the new Laredo switch panels. Interesting. It's now a fancy looking all in one panel with "Laredo" in stylized lettering and all that. Ours are a conglomeration of bog-standard RV switches just mounted on the wall with the cover/door over all of them.

Somehow I think I like our older setup better. Not that switches fail much, but I can replace any switch easily by stopping at any well stocked RV shop. A pretty all in one panel? I'm going to have to buy the panel find out how they installed their switches and probably buy from them to get a nice "match".

Color me unimpressed with that particular "upgrade". Looks flashy, and is less practical. I like practical.