Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
UsTwo

Insurance

The dreaded insurance debate.. are you covered when hooked and towing, sitting at the storage lot, or at home, at the campground. etc etc..In the past couple months we have had a couple friends have blow outs on their trlrs.. one a fifth wheel, where it tore the folding steps up and beat up the side of the camper, tore out some electric wiring and broke the propane line..the other a pull behind where it tore up the whole underneath side and put a hole into the kitchen floor,,, tore up the stove and actually beat up pots and pans in the storage area under next to the oven. so as things come in 3's as they say I didn't want to be that third one.. so had the wife call the insurance company to check again to see what we are covered under... I not only have coverage on both the cars and truck but a separate policy for just the travel trlr. SO we are covered in storage, at home, at the campground if I run over something, ( don't ask me how I know this). Any way I thought I was covered from head to toe.. NOT.. !!! The policy has no road side.. my policy on the truck will not cover that either... Well hello AAA.. For a hundred dollars a year and piece of mind I am now covered, for everything...Any ways look at your policys, you may not be covered for as much as you thought..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
dcg9381

My thoughts:
1) Replacing the factory tires, which were new, IS insurance.
2) Lots of "gaps" in coverage if you don't buy coverage for the towed unit.
3) When towing, roadside is covered by both the truck insurance and trailer insurance - at least in my case. $100 is a lot to pay for roadside assistance. I think it's like $15/year or less added to a policy.
4) Roadside assistance is subject to where you are... That is, you could be insured through a variety of different places, but if no one will come out and service an RV, you're out of luck. Good Sam, AAA, Progressive, USAA, doesn't mattter... I've run into this at least once when way out in the boonies and ended up limping into a small town and fixing it myself..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
UsTwo

Yep you right... tires were upgraded before we picked her up..
and lots of gaps in insurance, that is why we rechecked...the $100 covers two other cars and the truck and camper.... plus for that I have piece of mind, oh and no cost towing of both truck and trlr. or cars for a 100 mile radius of the pick up spot...don't worry, be happy

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Each state has their own insurance requirements. You really need to read thru all that small print on any policy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
mazboy123

insurance

you need to discuss your coverage with your insurance agent, we here can't answer what you are covered for.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #6
cruisegrandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
Yep you right... tires were upgraded before we picked her up..
and lots of gaps in insurance, that is why we rechecked...the $100 covers two other cars and the truck and camper.... plus for that I have piece of mind, oh and no cost towing of both truck and trlr. or cars for a 100 mile radius of the pick up spot...don't worry, be happy
We have AAA also and it is very worth the piece of mind, especially if you plan to travel often like we are planning to do.
Passport 23RB
No longer virgin trailer and truck owners... BUT LOOK OUT ANYWAYS!!!
Harleysville, PA
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
... oh and no cost towing of both truck and trlr. or cars for a 100 mile radius of the pick up spot...don't worry, be happy
+1

We joined AAA, when we bought our pop up, back in 1996 and on our inaugural trip we broke down 75 miles from Amarillo.

They put the van on the flatbed and pulled the popup behind it and the tow was no charge.

We have had several long tows since then, with the popup and without and I fell like I have gotten my moneys worth.

-Brian
Old 09-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Javi

Reading this thread reminded me that I should call my agent and see what my policy was gonna cost this time... Been with Farmers nearly 40 years and shopped them many times over that time, just not in the last 5 years or so..

Got the numbers and after the initial shock I started getting online quotes, Good Sam, Geico, Progressive, Nationwide...

Wow Geico beat everyone by a substantial margin. My Farmer's policy would have cost me 320% of the Geico quote.

And before you ask... it is the exact coverage plus 5K of personal items coverage in the trailer and roadside service on all three vehicles...

I feel abused..
Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Reading this thread reminded me that I should call my agent and see what my policy was gonna cost this time... Been with Farmers nearly 40 years and shopped them many times over that time, just not in the last 5 years or so..

Got the numbers and after the initial shock I started getting online quotes, Good Sam, Geico, Progressive, Nationwide...

Wow Geico beat everyone by a substantial margin. My Farmer's policy would have cost me 320% of the Geico quote.

And before you ask... it is the exact coverage plus 5K of personal items coverage in the trailer and roadside service on all three vehicles...

I feel abused..

I am in the same boat you are except the only reason we are with them is because the wife is good friends with our agent and has been since before she was one. For some reason she doesn't want to hurt her feelings if we leave and go somewhere else. But financially it doesn't make sense. I feel we are paying more for what we have insured. Have to look at what our numbers are to make sure they are not more than what we need.

They have been a great insurance company but seem slightly more expensive than others.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
I am in the same boat you are except the only reason we are with them is because the wife is good friends with our agent and has been since before she was one. For some reason she doesn't want to hurt her feelings if we leave and go somewhere else. But financially it doesn't make sense. I feel we are paying more for what we have insured. Have to look at what our numbers are to make sure they are not more than what we need.

They have been a great insurance company but seem slightly more expensive than others.

Travis
The Farmer's agent we started with retired 10 years ago and sold his agency to a fellow that would rather play golf than sell insurance, so we switched agents to a really nice fellow but I just can't handle $1390 vs $589 every 6 months.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
TandE

Yeah ours is $1560 every 6 and that$589 looks good I don't blame you one bit for changing.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The Farmer's agent we started with retired 10 years ago and sold his agency to a fellow that would rather play golf than sell insurance, so we switched agents to a really nice fellow but I just can't handle $1390 vs $589 every 6 months.
Had the same experience with Farmers vs. Gieco. Was with Farmers forever but the last few years the rates just kept going up ALOT. Switched to Gieco two years ago with a $800 savings for home, 2 cars and the camper/MH. Coverage is much better also. With our MH, we added full glass coverage because if the windshield ever needs replaced I'm sure that would set us back $500 or more. Gieco charged us $50 for full cost replacement.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
UsTwo

My original post is what got me to looking at my policy again.. I thought it was a very good policy but found that the towing was not up to par.. Thus AAA...Our camping friends found out there policy didn't cover that as well. They spent over 2 hours on the side of the highway, with the Mo. highway patrol behind them, with hope that no one would run them over.. when they finally got off the road and to a tire dealer, they found out their wheels where not right for the 10 ply trlr tires they like to use..He uses the same on all his construction trucks and trlrs..He trusted this well known Tire Dealer in the area to for his set up of wheels and tires.. His insurance didn't care for that either...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
Old 09-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

When we bought our new trailer I shopped all over and went with Geico. Great coverage, great price. As far as AAA we dropped it on our vehicles and didn't consider it for our RV; read the fine print and they have lots of exclusions and limitations. They're a great company but had too many "we don'ts and we cant's" for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
B-O-B'03

I have The Hartford for our insurance.

Adding the trailer increased the premium by $161 this year.

We have my 2003 Cobra Mustang, 1999 GT Mustang, 2014 22RBPR and the 2013 F150 all with full coverage for $1,669 a year.

My agent suggested we become AARP members a few years ago, to get the rate from Hartford.

-Brian
Old 09-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #16
mazboy123

we are full timers and we pay national under $900 a year.

rvers need to just call around to see what other agencys are charging. friendship is great but why pay more money for a policy?????
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote